× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Replacement disk? Seagate ST2000DL003-9VT166 dead

Pongo1
Aspirant

Replacement disk? Seagate ST2000DL003-9VT166 dead

My ReadyNAS Duo is reporting Disk 1 "dead", so I need a replacement asap.

Searching for "Seagate ST2000DL003-9VT166" produces a plethora of differing model/spec numbers, and/or what seems to be unfeasibly high prices for what is presumably by now an old disk model.

My tech knowledge is a bit thin when it comes to current disk specifications; help!

1. Do I need to match the disk model of the surviving disk?

2. If not, what would be a reasonable recommended substitute?

Thanks for any guidance.

Model: RND2220|ReadyNAS Duo 4TB (2 X 2TB)
Message 1 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@Pongo1 wrote:

1. Do I need to match the disk model of the surviving disk?.

No.

@Pongo1 wrote:

2. If not, what would be a reasonable recommended substitute?

A 2 TB Seagate Ironwolf (ST2000VN004) or a Western Digital Red Plus (WD20EFRX).  Both are designed for NAS.  Avoid desktop drives, as many are now SMR, which is not well suited for RAID. Avoid the Western Digital WD20EFAX for the same reason.

Given the age of the disks, you might consider replacing both (one at a time, waiting for the first resync to complete before doing the second). If your NAS runs 4.1.x firmware, then the largest disk it can handle is 2 TB. You could go larger if your system runs 5.3.x firmware (replacing both disks).

Also, it is wise to make a backup of the NAS before you begin.  If there are errors on the remaining disk (or if it fails during the resync), you will lose all your data.  

Message 2 of 5
Pongo1
Aspirant

Much obliged.

Stephen,

Thank you much for that informative and virtually instantaneous reply!

The NAS is on formware version 4.1.16, which the system update check tells me is the latest version. Thus I'll have to get a 2TB replacement.

Best not to tempt fate, so i will make a backup of the backup.

Much obliged.

Message 3 of 5
AllDueRespect
Aspirant

Question... I could not figure out if one of them was in fact damaged and whether you repaired it.

Having two of same model, did you try swapping the boards? 

I have same exact model (9Vt166-301) with Firmware CC32 Date "11321".

I am looking for a donor card to see if this will work. So my question... did you end up replacing them? Are you willing to sell one of them to me? To say the thruth, I am not interested on keeping the drive, just trying to see if I can recover the data as at some point i put my collection of family photos. I am looking at older ones being sold online.

That was some 9 years ago, I have been holding to the HD and found it in the end of a drawer.... maybe it is time to take a look at it.

Best regards,

LuisG

Message 4 of 5
Pongo1
Aspirant

Hi LuisG,

I didn't try to repair the disk drive itself, but just bought two new matching disks (one of the models as recommended by StephenB above), and used them to copy the data from my one good 9VT166.

I think I've since destroyed both of the old 9VT166.

Given the price of 9VT166 (even as obsolete stock), you might be better off just going to a data recovery company. If its the board thats faulty, they'll probably have a method of reading the disk directly.

Good luck (I have most of my honeymoon photos stuck in a corrupted phone memory!).

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements