× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Replacing ReadyNAS 1100

galorin
Aspirant

Replacing ReadyNAS 1100

Our trusty 1100 is really playing up, and we are running out of space, plus other reasons... it's just time to upgrade.

We will probably be going to the 2100, 4TB version and I have a few questions.

XRaid2 - we'd have 3TB of space available if I understand correctly, am I right?

XRaid2 - what happens when a drive fails? What happens when 2 fail?

iSCSI - 1100 never did play nice with Active Directory. can we use iSCSI to a server, then distribute that as a share, or is there a better way to provide AD-controlled access?

How long until the 2100 hits EOL?

I think that's about it for now. Answers may spawn more questions.
Message 1 of 2
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Replacing ReadyNAS 1100

galorin wrote:

Our trusty 1100 is really playing up

How is it playing up. You might wish to use the 1100 as a backup NAS if it's not an issue with the NAS chassis. When did you purchase the 1100? If it was purchased brand new on/after Aug 21, 2007 it would still be under warranty.
galorin wrote:

XRaid2 - we'd have 3TB of space available if I understand correctly, am I right?

Yes. Of course the NAS considers 1TB=1024^4 bytes whereas disk manufacturers consider 1TB=1000^4 bytes and there are overheads, so it will be a bit less.
galorin wrote:

XRaid2 - what happens when a drive fails?

Data remains intact
galorin wrote:

What happens when 2 fail?

NAS enters life support mode. If one of the disks can't be repaired or cloned onto another disk then you'll need to restore from backup. The Pro 6 (desktop 6-bay) and the 12-bay rackmount 3200/4200 have optional dual-redundancy feature.
galorin wrote:

iSCSI - 1100 never did play nice with Active Directory. can we use iSCSI to a server, then distribute that as a share, or is there a better way to provide AD-controlled access?

You could mount the iSCSI target on the server and share folders on that from the server I think. You might wish to give CIFS on the NAS another try though.
galorin wrote:

How long until the 2100 hits EOL?

Don't know. NetGear doesn't announce their product plans. It will remain supported by firmware updates for a long while yet. The ReadyNAS Team has a history of providing firmware updates long after a product is discontinued when there are new products on the same platform (2100 is x86). In fact the ReadyNAS 600 (Sparc) released by Infrant back in 2004 and discontinued well before the NetGear acquisition still receives free firmware updates as does the more recently discontinued 1100, Duo (v1) and NV+ (v1). Though with the discontinuation of the Duo (v1) and NV+ (v1) there are no longer any new Sparc ReadyNAS products in production.
Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements