× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Replacing a ReadyNAS Pro

JPP314
Aspirant

Replacing a ReadyNAS Pro

I have an old RNDP6350 (6 bay ReadyNAS Pro Business Edition) and I'd like to know if there's any way to replace the box with a newer 6-bay model and move my 6 drives with data onto the new system without doing a backup and restore. I'm running RAIDiator 4.2.31 in X-RAID2 mode.

Jonathan

Model: ReadyNASRNDP6350|ReadyNAS Pro 6 1.5TB (3 x 500GB Enterprise)
Message 1 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi @JPP314, as the newer systems RN426, RN526 and RN626 are based on different hardware and run different firmware, I fear the answer is negative.

However, without having a good backup of your data, I would not even dare to try something like you are asking for. So, if you decide to create the backup anyway or have it already you could follow the "classic" approach:

a) backup data from old box

b) insert old disks into new box and format them

c) create the volume according to the RAID-flavour you prefer

d) restore the data to new box.

Kind regards

Message 2 of 12
Sandshark
Sensei

No, there is not.  There is a procedure for recovering data from an Pro6's drives using an OS6 based system and moving the data to external storage for those with a Pro6 that has died, but there is no way to move the drives over with data intact and continue to use the NAS in that configuration.

Message 3 of 12
StephenB
Guru

If the Pro is still functioning well, then I suggest getting new disks for the new NAS, and repurposing the Pro as a backup of the new NAS. You could use fewer (but larger) disks in the new one.

The Pro can also be converted to run OS-6, though the process does require a factory reset and a restore from backup.  Once converted, you could directly migrate the disks to a new NAS in the future.

Message 4 of 12
Sandshark
Sensei

If you decide to keep the ProBE and convert to OS 6, updrading the processor and memory will make it quite a bit faster.  Instructions for doing so are on the forum, though Googling usually works better to find it than the forum's search function.

Message 5 of 12
JPP314
Aspirant

Are there any built-in ReadyNAS-to-ReadyNAS migration tools available or do I have to set up users, groups, permissions, and then rsync everything over?

Message 6 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@JPP314, unfortunately, you have to roll yourself through this Procrustian bed, to my knowledge.

Message 7 of 12
Sandshark
Sensei

Yep, you have to go it alone.  I looked to see if user and group migration was an easy thing to try and implement myself, and decided it wasn't worth it for my case.  The default user ID's changed drastically from OS4 to OS6, and you have to insure you don't mess with those while moving over your user ID's.

IMHO, this is yet another short-sighted move on NetGear's part.   They twilighted the old systems and gave no easy way to migrate to a new ReadyNAS -- making it just as easy (which is to say, not easy) to migrate to a competing product.  Not as big a deal for a typical home user as for a small business.

Message 8 of 12
JPP314
Aspirant

It almost sounds like the best option is to roll my own NAS with a Linux box yet again. The entire point of getting a ReadyNAS in the first place was to reduce my administrative load for my own systems. I bet there's no way to mount these old drives on a new Linux box, either...

Message 9 of 12
Sandshark
Sensei

Actually, mounting them in a standard Linux system is possible, as they are standard mdadm RAID on OS 4.2.x.  I'm not the one to ask how to do it, but I've seen that as a solution for recovering data.  But whether just leaving them in the system instead of transferring the data is a good idea, I can't say.

Message 10 of 12
JPP314
Aspirant

I vaguely recall that the on-disk structures were different and incompatible with standard Linux mdadm + lvm. I'd be thrilled if I were wrong!

Message 11 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@JPP314 wrote:

I vaguely recall that the on-disk structures were different and incompatible with standard Linux mdadm + lvm. I'd be thrilled if I were wrong!

I think you are recalling OS 4.1.x (NV+ v1, duo v1).  The Pro (OS 4.2.x) does use mdadm+lvm.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements