× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Replacing readyNAS 3200

alangstein_QMC
Aspirant

Replacing readyNAS 3200

I am running a readyNAS 3200 system with 12 1TB hard drives.  This is the primary storage device for medical data in one area of our hospital (i.e. holds raw data from some medical devices).  The question has come up what would happen if we had a device failure (not a disk failure but a failure of the CPU etc...).

Would I be able to move the hard drives from the 3200 to a newer diskless 12 bay NAS device (such as a RR3312) to recover the data?  What other options would exist for recovering the data?

Thanks

Model: RN12P|READYNAS 3200 NETWORK STORAGE SYSTEM - CHASSIS|EOL
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Replacing readyNAS 3200

@alangstein_QMC wrote:

Would I be able to move the hard drives from the 3200 to a newer diskless 12 bay NAS device (such as a RR3312) to recover the data?  What other options would exist for recovering the data?

There is a guide here that would help: https://kb.netgear.com/29957/ReadyNAS-Migrating-disks-from-RAIDiator-4-2-to-ReadyNAS-OS-6-x86?cid=wm...

You can't directly migrate drive to OS 6, but you can boot the OS-6 NAS with the OS-4 drives in place as a read-only volume.  Then you can copy off the data to another device.

FWIW, if you can budget ~$2000 you could get an RN526x with 3x6TB drives and use that as a backup device for the R3200.  That would significantly reduce the down time if the main NAS were to fail.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@alangstein_QMC wrote:

There is a guide here that would help: https://kb.netgear.com/29957/ReadyNAS-Migrating-disks-from-RAIDiator-4-2-to-ReadyNAS-OS-6-x86?cid=wm...

You can't directly migrate drive to OS 6, but you can boot the OS-6 NAS with the OS-4 drives in place as a read-only volume.  Then you can copy off the data to another device.

FWIW, if you can budget ~$2000 you could get an RN526x with 3x6TB drives and use that as a backup device for the R3200.  That would significantly reduce the down time if the main NAS were to fail.

Message 2 of 3
alangstein_QMC
Aspirant

Thank you very much, this is very helpful.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements