× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Replacing the fan in ReadyNAS Duo - possible?

wixi
Aspirant

Re: Replacing the fan in ReadyNAS Duo - possible?

i'm also unhappy about the noise my DUO is making ... not excessive, but noticeable when it's only 4 ft away.
i, too, read the bit about the guy sleeping with it - perhaps his partner snores, or it's a huge bedroom, but it would keep me awake.

so why should you spend so much for a premium 'quiet; product and then have to bother about swapping the fam it order for it to meet the advertised standard?

beginning to think i should have lashed out on the Thecus Mini instead. 😞

John
Message 51 of 127
benfrain
Aspirant

Yes, the noise is a definite problem. I've tried the Fractal Design Fan Silent Series in there instead and whilst the temp came down a couple of degrees the noise isn't much better, just different.

I'm going to try the Acousti AcoustiFan DustPROOF fan in there as well to see if it improves matters. If not, I think I'll be selling up and ordering the Thecus mini myself...
Message 52 of 127
Pjotr1
Aspirant

benfrain wrote:
Yes, the noise is a definite problem. I've tried the Fractal Design Fan Silent Series in there instead and whilst the temp came down a couple of degrees the noise isn't much better, just different.

It is not that difficult. Buy a 60mm --> 80mm fan adapter as shown by Javic and a 80mm silent Nexus fan. Will cost no more than $10 – $15 total and you are done.

Noise of the fan is less than the noise of the HD itself, WD GP enterprise disks in my case.
Message 53 of 127
axxe
Aspirant

A word of warning: I found using a 60x80 adapter nearly impossible (this was my first plan). 2 of the 4 mounting holes for the original fan are so close to the side of the unit that it's impossible to put the side cover on once the adapter is mounted to the back case. I puzzled over the order of assembly for a long time, trying different configurations of mounting hardware, and ended up cutting open the back of the case and mounting the 80mm fan directly to it.

A different style of adapter might have worked, I suppose.
Message 54 of 127
benfrain
Aspirant

Pjotr wrote:
benfrain wrote:

It is not that difficult. Buy a 60mm --> 80mm fan adapter as shown by Javic and a 80mm silent Nexus fan. Will cost no more than $10 – $15 total and you are done.

Noise of the fan is less than the noise of the HD itself, WD GP enterprise disks in my case.

Sorry Pjotr, I don't fancy a fan stuck on the back of the unit. If I can't get a 60mm one that is quite enough and keeps everything cool enough I'd rather just opt for a different NAS solution. The NAS sits next to me and the noise is currently a major irritation. There are units like the Thecus that promise silent operation and that's more important to me than some of the other features the ReadyNAS offers.
Message 55 of 127
axxe
Aspirant

benfrain wrote:

Sorry Pjotr, I don't fancy a fan stuck on the back of the unit. If I can't get a 60mm one that is quite enough and keeps everything cool enough I'd rather just opt for a different NAS solution. The NAS sits next to me and the noise is currently a major irritation. There are units like the Thecus that promise silent operation and that's more important to me than some of the other features the ReadyNAS offers.

Don't they all promise silent operation?

Make sure to search the web for people complaining about noise from the Thecus before you believe it's silent.
Message 56 of 127
benfrain
Aspirant

axxe wrote:
benfrain wrote:

Don't they all promise silent operation?

Make sure to search the web for people complaining about noise from the Thecus before you believe it's silent.

😄 You're absolutely right of course!
Message 57 of 127
Pjotr1
Aspirant

Ok then. If you want something else, indeed look for something else and spend a lot more of bucks. But no one is perfect.

The DUO costs less than 200 bucks without HD. For that you get a big bang for the bucks. But I admit getting more out if it requires a bit of D.I.Y. My DUO sits in my living room also serving as a music server and is inaudible a few meters away, even late at night.
Message 58 of 127
wixi
Aspirant

after much hanging on phones talking to level 1 support and being 'put through' (aka listening to muzak for 20 minutes at a time) to level 2, i was finally directed to;
http://www.readynas.com/?p=1912#more-1912

unfortunately, this refers to a ReadyNAS Pro, not a 2150 DUO so doesn't really fit my problem.

i can't face the prospect of ringing India again ... 😞
Message 59 of 127
ernhamDjinn
Aspirant

jraneses wrote:
In looking at possible replacement fans for the Duo on Newegg, these models might be viable candidates. In my opinion, it's not so much the noise level of the Duo that's the problem, it's the tone of the stock Crown fan.

VANTEC TF6025
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811999615

Dynatron DF126025PL-3/4G
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835114064

Those are the top 2 rated 60mm fans from the product category
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2000110573+1372726523&Configurator=&Subcategory=573&description=&Ntk=&SpeTabStoreType=&srchInDesc=

Can any of the Jedi's comment on the compatibility of the replacement fans listed above?

Thanks,

Jason

Be careful with the connectors the fan you purchase provides. The VANTEC TF2065 comes with a 3/4 pin connector, but the 3-pin connector does not work - it doesn't power the fan. You would have to purchase an adapter, and the two 4-pin connectors that come standard with the fan already take a bit of space. I purchased that fan but will return it since it cannot work in the unit.

http://www.frozencpu.com has a TON of different fans and fan accessories. I was wondering if buying a simple rubber fan silencer wouldn't do the trick. It seems to me that a lot of the noise caused by the fan is the vibration of the back plate the fan is attached to.
Message 60 of 127
axxe
Aspirant

FWIW, the Noctua fan came with a complete set of rubber isolation connectors and cable adapters - everything hooked up very nicely.
Message 61 of 127
Pjotr1
Aspirant

ernhamDjinn wrote:
It seems to me that a lot of the noise caused by the fan is the vibration of the back plate the fan is attached to.

That is true. With the original fan the finger protector of the fan of my DUO made an irritating high pitch resonating sound. Sticking a piece of car dampening tar on the centre of it solved it. Still the fan made excessive noise. Noise was gone after replacing it for a more silent one and my disks are running cooler as a bonus.
Message 62 of 127
Daryn
Aspirant

I have my duo in my family room and it was clearly audible 12' across the room when idle. It was very annoying when under any load because it was often louder than the tv. My wife kept telling me to get it out of the room.

I just installed a Noctua NF-R8. All I can say is: WOW! Initially, I thought the fan was defective since it was virtually silent during startup and didn't feel like it was pushing much air. I recalibrated the fan and I thought the calibration wasn't working since again the fan was silent. I'm used to the hairdryer of the stock Crown fan.

The fan is perfectly fine, and the drives run at 34C instead of 40C+. My duo is now the quietest thing in my home theater. It's quieter than the DVR and PS3. My wife thought I was wasting more money until she heard, or actually couldn't hear!, the duo.

I bought a Noctua NF-R8, 60mm to 80mm adapter, and a fan grill for $20 + shipping from coolerguys.com. I had to use a utility blade to shave a little bit of plastic off the corners of the adapter so the side panel would slide back on. If you are reading this thread, get this fan, you definitely won't regret it.

Sorry for the poor picture quality, but I'm too lazy to take it again.

Message 63 of 127
bbear
Aspirant

Replacing the fan in ReadyNAS Duo -60mm to 92mm fan adapters

I've seen some 60mm to 92mm fan adapters - the same thickness as the 60 to 80mm ones. I was wondering if anyone knows if a 92mm fan would fit on the Duo? If so, it certainly could be more airflow for lower RPMs and potentially quieter.
Message 64 of 127
phototrope
Aspirant

This is a superb thread. The noise on my ReadyNas+ is all-but unbearable for someone who makes quiet PCs.

I have just ordered a Noctua NF-R8 and 60mm->80mm adaptor. Will report here how things go.
Message 65 of 127
wixi
Aspirant

during my quite lengthy discussions with Amel Moore of NetGear Customer Services for EMEA, I was told that "I can advise that I have not had any other customers contact me in relation to this issue. "

so we must all be suffering from the same delusion that the Duo is noisier than it should be :cry:
Message 66 of 127
snlehton
Aspirant

When I for the first time powered my DUO two weeks ago, I just couldn't believe the noise it was making. It wasn't anything like jet taking off but there was this weird high pitched noise, similar kind you get from old tv's (you know, the ones with a tube 🙂 ). I'm really sensitive to that kind of noise so it was quite irritating. Also, there was some lower frequency ringing noise as well, but it disappeared after I had installed two disks (with one disk it would get even louder). Couldn't ever imagine sleeping with my DUO.

While searching for other users with noise problems, I found this thread and got excited. DUO was already delivering more than I could hope for, but getting rid of the noise was a must. So I decided to order Noctua NF-R8 and a 60mm to 80mm adapter. I installed them today.

First I removed the drives and opened the case which was quite easy even though the screws were really tight. Somebody had really used force on them 🙂 Removing the stock fan was a breeze. It took a bit of twiddling to get the adapter in place without need to modify the adapter (the adapter gets in the way of the left cover). What I did is that I used long screws with bolts so that bolts were inside the chassis and screws were initially loose so that I could fit the left cover in place before screwing the adapter in place. Then I used bent paper clip through the grill in the back of the chassis to stop the bolts from rotating while driving the screws in.

When I turned the DUO on, I first thought that it was broken as no sound came out of it. But the fan was on, sucking some air out of the DUO. I went to the Frontview, and on the Health page it said FAN 1 had RPM 0 and then dialog saying "FAN 1 has failed" came up. I got alarmed but FAN health status also said that "out of range" etc so I clicked recalibrate and after that RPM was show and the fan was ok.

I'm really happy with the Noctua even though installing it was a bit of a difficulty. Fan is rotating at 1600 RPM and the drivers are cooler than ever (dropped from 29 celcius to 27 celcius - 22 being room temp). On some heavy duty backuping the driver heat to around 30 but it used to be 34. I'm thinking of tuning the RPM down a bit as drivers are cooler than before and the fan is still making some noise even though it's barely audible contrary to the stock fan. I recommend the fan replacement to anyone who finds the stock fan noisy. Just remember that it will void the warranty... and it can be done without any kludges if you have patience with it. Happy! 😎
Message 67 of 127
DiWa
Aspirant

Hi all,

Let me share my own experience on the subject as I also experienced this disturbant, unacceptable noise in my living room :evil: .
I read a lot of posts and changing the fan for a bigger one seems to be THE solution.

Still, it was not exactly acceptable for me, for a pure design POV.
The Duo is quite pretty and didn't want to change it :wink:

:idea: So I scratched up old post on overclocking & heat management on PC Case and this is the recipe:

* The first step is to remove the case fan finger guard to ease air flow and avoid whistle. I removed it easily with pliers

* The second step is to use rubber screws to fix the fan

The result is really surprising as my Duo is now silent and I don't ear it anymore.
No need to buy a new fan, just screws for about 1 or 2€.

Enjoy

DiWa
Message 68 of 127
Pjotr1
Aspirant

That is a good starting point DiWa but the original Crown fan on its own still makes unnecessary noise I noticed. If you can live with that it’s fine. Putting a bigger fan at low speed stays advantageous and there is no need to modify the back plate of the Duo. So in case of warranty you can put back the stock fan.

My Nexus fan runs at 1800 RPM and is inaudible at that speed and keeps the drives 4 deg C lower than with the stock fan. Lower drive temperature extends lifespan and this goes exponential.
Message 69 of 127
exrazorfish
Aspirant

Daryn wrote:
I have my duo in my family room and it was clearly audible 12' across the room when idle. It was very annoying when under any load because it was often louder than the tv. My wife kept telling me to get it out of the room.

I just installed a Noctua NF-R8. All I can say is: WOW! Initially, I thought the fan was defective since it was virtually silent during startup and didn't feel like it was pushing much air. I recalibrated the fan and I thought the calibration wasn't working since again the fan was silent. I'm used to the hairdryer of the stock Crown fan.

The fan is perfectly fine, and the drives run at 34C instead of 40C+. My duo is now the quietest thing in my home theater. It's quieter than the DVR and PS3. My wife thought I was wasting more money until she heard, or actually couldn't hear!, the duo.

I bought a Noctua NF-R8, 60mm to 80mm adapter, and a fan grill for $20 + shipping from coolerguys.com. I had to use a utility blade to shave a little bit of plastic off the corners of the adapter so the side panel would slide back on. If you are reading this thread, get this fan, you definitely won't regret it.

Sorry for the poor picture quality, but I'm too lazy to take it again.

I just did this mod and of all the things I've done in my life this was one of the simplest, easiest and most straightforward. You need a Noctua NF-R8 fan, a 60-80mm adapter and a fan grill for about $20, a Phillips screwdriver, a pair of pliers and 10 minutes of your time. That's it. After that, your ReadyNAS Duo is barely noticable noise wise.

Steps:
* Turn off the device.
* Disconnect network and power cables.
* Remove drives.
* Remove the left side panel (two screws on rear, then pull backwards).
* Disconnect stock fan cable.
* Remove stock fan (four screws).
* Cut the stock fan finger protection with a pair of pliers and remove.
* Wire the Noctua NF-R8 through the rear casing (see picture above).
* Fit the 60-80mm adapter to the rear of the NAS using the rubber screws that came with the Noctua NF-R8.
* Fit the Noctua NF-R8 on the adapter using the four metal screws that came with the Noctua NF-R8.
* Fit the fan grill to the Noctua NF-R8.
* Connect the Noctua NF-R8 cable to the ReadyNAS (same socket as the stock fan).
* Fit the left side panel.
* Attach the drives.
* Connect the network and power cables.
* Power up.
* Recalibrate the fan in FrontView.

My drives ran at 2000rpm/38C with the stock fan and now run at 1600rpm/27C with the Noctua NF-R8. Hats off for Daryn!
Message 70 of 127
Ennio1
Aspirant

exrazorfish wrote:
Daryn wrote:
I just installed a Noctua NF-R8.
You need a Noctua NF-R8 fan

Why are you all so hooked on Noctua fans? They're not the most silent fans out there, considering their air-flow.
I can highly recommend Nexus fans, like the one I used: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=22612&start=32

It's now 9 months after I mounted that fan and all is still exactly the same, fan- and temperature-wise. The Duo did not fail on me once with this fan;

ambient temperature around the Duo is 22 degrees Celsius at the time of this screenshot..
Message 71 of 127
exrazorfish
Aspirant

Ennio wrote:

Why are you all so hooked on Noctua fans? They're not the most silent fans out there, considering their air-flow.

No particular reason. It felt important to me that the fan had a good track record for this particular mod, which the Noctua NF-R8 had, but if you shop around for silent fans the market is huge. The Noctua is widely available and is good priced. Important except for the noise level is the amount of air it moves (which ofcourse should match or exceed that of the stock fan).

What did you set your minimum fan rpm speed at and how did you arrive at that value?
Message 72 of 127
Pjotr1
Aspirant

Noctua has a good marketing strategy, with some scientific bla bla. I have both Noctua and Nexus fans in use in my PC case and there is almost no difference for the noise and air flow. The Nexus fans appear to be slightly more silent than silent 😄

More important is to keep them silent by removing the collected dust on a regular basis.
Message 73 of 127
You_never_know_
Aspirant

Hi guys,
I´m unhappy with the noise of my DUO too. I´ve seen the link to the french thread but I couldn´t got it managed to translate it properly.
Thanks for the ideas you posted here, but can it be true there´s no quiet 60mm fan to replace just the original? Did someone had success with the Papst fans? or other ideas?
thanks

cheers
YNK
Message 74 of 127
plastiqmanb
Aspirant

Hey guys I to have a readynas Duo and i was getting tired of the high pitched 18,000hz type whine so just for the heck of it I searched for the 60x25 fans and came up to this : http://www.fanwholesale.com/evercool-60x25mm-p-62.html
simple and effective! Super quiet and I didn't have to have an albatross comming out the back of the nas and it has retained its normal temperature. So far so good!
Message 75 of 127
Top Contributors
Announcements