× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Reset switch defect, permanent boot mode

Ludde
Aspirant

Reset switch defect, permanent boot mode

Hello *,

yesterday the nas system has to restart and afterwards the system stuck in Boot mode and only normal Boot could be chosen. But it could not be executed. Also the Firmware upgrade with USB finished with success but after reboot it stuck again and again in Boot mode. So i realized that the boot mode is entered only if the reset button is pressed but i did never press it. After disassembling an measuring the voltage of the reset switch i found out the switch is working but there is only 0.05V instead of 3.3V.(while testing one boot was successful, dont know why) In my opinion maybe the DCDC converter from 12 to 3v3 is defect or the voltage is pulled to low because oft a short circuit. At http://natisbad.org/NAS3/index.html i found useful information about the IC and SMDs but i did not find the solution. Does anybody have the same issue or can help me finding the defect? Maybe the rt8105 or the tps54227 are defect?or does anybody have a schematic?

Thank you

Message 1 of 6
Ludde
Aspirant

Re: Reset switch defect, permanent boot mode

Sorry the Model was not accepted in the model textbox.
It is an RN10400-100EUS.

Message 2 of 6
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @Ludde

Welcome to the Community!

It seems strange that it goes to Boot menu mode but only has Normal boot available, What firmware did you used when you did USB recovery? Is this still happening when disks are not inserted?

If this one still goes to boot menu without the disks, then a hardware problem is really present. Unfortunately, parts or spares are not available for the NAS. The best advice would be to contact Support for RMA, Your RN104 should have 3 years HW warranty upon purchase.

If you have a backup of your data, doing a Factory reset might be a good way to eliminate the issue. That is if the reset button is working.

Hope this helps!

Regards

Message 3 of 6
Ludde
Aspirant

Hello Marc_V,
thank you for your reply.
The Firmware was the 6.9.4. The Hardware is older than 3 Years i think.The Disks were removed and always the same Error. I think it is a Hardware defect because of the 0V at the Reset Button. A schematic document for the RN104 would help finding the defect Part on the PCB. Otherwise i will have to buy an other NAS.
Yours sincerely

Message 4 of 6
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @Ludde

You would most likely have to buy a new NAS if it does not have any warranty anymore, I'll try to check if I can provide that but I cannot guarantee.

I inquired this issue and you can take off the reset switch if it really is always on the pressed state. If the switch is working fine, a Pull-up Resistor R64 might be missing or defective.

Hope we have helped!

Regards

Message 5 of 6
Ludde
Aspirant

Thank you for the information. I
think we found the defect, but it was not the R64.

The R185 and the C154 are before the Reset Switch and connected. At R185 there were 3.3V but after the Resistor there were 0V and the resistor seems to be ok (so there was a Voltage drop of 3.3V over this resistor). The C154 has connection to Ground on both sides, so we removed this C. Nothing changed so the defect must be at the input Pin of the µC. With this defect i think i have no chance to repair it.
Thank you for your help.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements