× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Restyling admin area

Squazz
Aspirant

Restyling admin area

I have a ReadyNas pro 4 with OS4.
Is it in any way possible to restyle the admin area? 

I can handle the styles myself, but I'm not quite sure if it's possible to replace the CSS files on the ReadyNAS?

Message 1 of 8
StephenB
Guru

Re: Restyling admin area

Perhaps consider shifting to OS 6???

Message 2 of 8
Squazz
Aspirant

But, I cannot upgrade my firmware? It tells me that I'm running the latest firmware?

Message 3 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@Squazz wrote:

But, I cannot upgrade my firmware? It tells me that I'm running the latest firmware?

Well, you can - although its not supported.  

There are instructions here, but you need to search for them.  The process is destructive, so you would need a full backup (and restore your data afterwards).

Message 4 of 8
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Squazz,

Just a few questions below:

a. What is the current firmware version of your ReadyNAS Pro 4?

b. What changes would you like to implement on the current appearance of the web-GUI of the ReadyNAS Pro 4?  

If ever you are capable on making such changes on the web-GUI of the ReadyNAS Pro 4, please be reminded that it might affect the functionality of the NAS itself.

As per StephenB's suggestion, let me share this forum link below if ever you want to consider installing OS6 to your ReadyNAS Pro 4.  Take note of these few important reminders:

a. You need to have full backup of your current data stored in your NAS.

b. Bear in mind that you will not get any assistance from Netgear Support.  However, you could post and search here on the community for your future concerns.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/OS6-now-works-on-x86-Legacy-WARNING-NO-NTGR-SUP...

Regards,

DaneA

Netgear Community Team

Message 5 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@DaneA wrote:

b. Bear in mind that you will not get any assistance from Netgear Support.  However, you could post and search here on the community for your future concerns.

Yes.  "Unsupported" means exactly that.  

And if you change the admin UI and break something, then you are also in unsupported territory.

It would be useful to understand what you want to change and why.

Message 6 of 8
Squazzer
Aspirant

So, the forum chose that I wasn't created in the right way, so my mail is now locked to two users, Squazz & Squazzer, with Squazzer being the one I can log into 😕 Don't know how to change that yet.

But, I'll still reply 😄

@DaneA wrote:

Hi @Squazz,

Just a few questions below:

a. What is the current firmware version of your ReadyNAS Pro 4?

@DaneA wrote:

b. What changes would you like to implement on the current appearance of the web-GUI of the ReadyNAS Pro 4?  

I would love to make it responsive, i hate the internal scrollbar because the web-GUI refuses to use all of the space available, it's just locked to a specific height and width.

@StephenB wrote:

And if you change the admin UI and break something, then you are also in unsupported territory.

It would be useful to understand what you want to change and why.

Changing the css files shouldn't make THAT much harm to the system. After all, I could back up the existing files and put them back in if any problems occurs

What I actually want to do is change some of the CSS files, and maybe some of the HTML (or template files, dont know how it's set up, that's part of why I asked you guys 😉 )

Message 7 of 8
StephenB
Guru

If you just are just wanting to change cosmetic stuff, then going to OS6 probably doesn't make sense.  I was imagining you wanted something more.

It's not something I've poked at myself (and since I don't work for Netgear I have no access to their design documents).

I do think you'll want a script to install your changes, and revert back to standard.  Firmware upgrades and OS reinstalls could end up partially undoing your changes, so you'd want a quick/easy way to revert to standard before doing them.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements