× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Revise ReadyNas remote to create full VPN

M4cc45
Tutor

Revise ReadyNas remote to create full VPN

Or even a partial one so that I can access web interfaces on the NAS (especially ones on different ports).

Having a remote connection is great but if I can only access shares which I've permissioned correctly prior to wanting the access then it becomes very limited. Modifying those shares remotely and securely would be good. Also being able to access websites running on the NAS would be very useful.

M.
Message 1 of 10
Skywarp
Tutor

New version of readynas remote includes that already (make sure you update both your nas and remote agent on your computer.

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/ ... 6Aug12.pdf page 13

There is a "Manage ReadyNAS Remote" button now
Message 2 of 10
M4cc45
Tutor

I'll have a look - assume it's just the readynas interface with no ability to get to any other ports?

M.
Message 3 of 10
Skywarp
Tutor

M4cc45 wrote:
it's just the readynas interface with no ability to get to any other ports?

Yes
Message 4 of 10
M4cc45
Tutor

Then it's not what I asked for in the opening post 🙂

Other NAS's have the ability to have a VPN and can't see the issue in developing this. The ReadyNAS client isn't that great either (on IOS) so the ability to use the inbuilt VPN software or even GuizmOVPN to connect to the NAS and then able to access the rest of your network would be great.

Event the ability to access other websites running on the NAS would be a great stop-gap.
Message 5 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If you disable the ReadyNAS Remote Firewall on the NAS and on the client PC you can access pretty much any port on the NAS.
Message 6 of 10
M4cc45
Tutor

Sadly this then becomes a security risk. A full blown VPN would be excellent. With the NAS having some addons you can pretty much have it on 24/7 and, in my environment, it would be. I can port forward from the firewall to the NAS which restricts it a little but a full VPN where I can access other resources on the network would be superb.
Message 7 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Disabling the Remote Firewall in the ReadyNAS Remote settings on your PC and on the NAS and your PC isn't that big a risk in my view. You can still encrypt traffic and restrict which Remote users can access your NAS. Also ReadyNAS Remote used to be a 3rd party service but NetGear acquired the company that developed it
Message 8 of 10
M4cc45
Tutor

I was more referring to external. Internally I have no problems with the NAS so I don't really need to disable anything.

It's external where the problem lies. I can port forward on my firewall to the NAS which is no problem and works fine but I want to do everything securely so I want to authenticate before I even get on to the network from externally. I realise I can buy further hardware to do that but I don't want to go down that route whereby I have several devices I need to leave on. I can't change my router (it's cable and the ISP won't let me change it) so that's one device on and the second device I'd like to leave on is the NAS hence the request.

Whilst on the subject of requests one other thing I'd really like is a built in full-disk encryption but that's for a different post.

M.
Message 9 of 10
StephenB
Guru

I use port forwarding to get to the NAS, and also have port forwarding to my PCs. Then I use the WoL add-on for the Pro to wake up the PCs as needed. My connections are all encrypted.

It would be simpler to have a full VPN tunnel terminated in the NAS.
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements