× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Rn314 no access past the boot up... "mount_block_root +1 e 9" huh? #26280310

jakester
Tutor

Rn314 no access past the boot up... "mount_block_root +1 e 9" huh? #26280310

The rn31400 ws up and running for a week,lovin it...Cannot login now, with any browser, having used correct password. Rebooted, shut it down, restart,no luck. Raidar did see the nas up to the time I tried to acces the boot menu per Netgear instructions. Attempted to reinstall   OS  v6.4.1 , boot menu gives a message  "mount_block_root   +1 e 9". System idles at this screen. Raidar does not see the nas, now, with or without drives .... Removed drives, rebooted, and have the same mesage. Tested the 3 Seagate drives with the Seatools/ short test and all passed. Installed one drive at a time/restarted..same message. 

Seagate nas drives    3 X ST3000VN000       Raid 5_x-raid

win 7 x64....  backup files on aux drive ( this was not a Netgear backup process, just copies)

No power failures

No visible green light on the front.

Fan/ cooling/temps..... all were ok, fan working.  If I need to post this somewhere else please let me know as I am knew at this and I am  limited as to how this all works.

Thanks up front and Best to you in the New Year.    

Message 1 of 34

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Rn314 no access past the boot up... "mount_block_root +1 e 9" huh?

We've been able to confirm that this is a problem that should always be fixable with USB Boot Recovery. Not all USB keys are compatible so you may need to try a number of USB keys before you find one that works.

Please see this article: ReadyNAS OS 6: LCD says mount_block_root+1e9

There is a fix to prevent further cases of this issue. It is in the 6.4.2 firmware update which is now available.

View solution in original post

Message 22 of 34

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You should contact support.

Message 2 of 34
jakester
Tutor

Thanks for the quick come back. Looks that way to me also............ was hoping for a miracle....::smileyvery-happy:

Message 3 of 34
jakester
Tutor

Hello mdgm...... wanted to say thank you for the quick come back on New Years Day and let you know how it went. I followed your advice and contacted support regarding my problem. Followed the on screen instructions, created a support ticket (just a few words stating problem) and sent it off. Checked my mail one hour later and "Matthew M.@support" had emailed me with the solution to my problem.."rn31400 won't enter bootup" .      Matthew sent the following directions and also he included the link(s) which were a great help:                                                                                                                                                                                      

"Can you try USB Boot Recovery please: http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29952/~/readynas-os-6%3A-usb-recovery-tool "

"Please try at first using 6.4.1 and if that does not resolve it, please see if it is any different if you put 6.4.2 beta on instead: https://community.netgear.com/t5/ReadyNAS-Beta-        Release/ReadyNASOS-6-4-2-T59-Beta-1/m-p/999457#U999457 "    

I had read up enough to grasp the usb tool fix,,, but like a few other Newbies, it's about the data, my data, the data, man, am I going to lose my data? Afraid to wade in.  HA ! (data was backed up before Fedex arrived with nas) . Matthew@support suggested that I try the usb tool and I did...thank you Matthew. OS 6.4.1 was reinstalled via usb thumb drive . Up and running in 20 min. caused sigh of relief. Didn't lose any files, data, etc.....looks the same as when it when down. Checked logs,nothing.

I updated the OS when I bought the RN314, at Christmas, but I noticed the system seemed a bit slow and quirky at times. Updating the OS over the net may or may not have been the problem but this reinstall (via thumb drive) has improved nas performance..working great.This is just a storage NAS at my home and I am finding it well worth the time and cash.. I recommed it.   NETGEAR RN314

Win 7 x64 /  Seagate ST3000VN000 x 4 (3tb) / Linksys WRT54GL  /PSU Cyberlink 

Couple of  Newbie thoughts here...... 

1. Check on the forum for help...ask...people are willing to help

2. Follow suggestions from those who know....(after all, I did ask for help)

3. About Tech support, fill out a ticket, get that "case number"     don't call or email 

4. Read 

5. Read  more

6. Backup.backup.backup.

Thanks again to Matthew M. at NetgearSupport  and mdgm.

Message 4 of 34
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi jakester,

Thanks for the feedback. For sure this post will help a lot of users who encountered the same problem.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 34
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If you have run into this same problem we'd appreciate:

A description of the sequence of events that led up to the problem
What firmware was on the unit when it was first set-up
What firmware did you update to
If you were able to fix it with USB Boot Recovery, a copy of the logs would be useful to (this would include the answers to the firmware questions if you haven't done a factory reset). If your case is still open attaching the logs would be good. If not, send them in to me (see the Sending Logs link in my sig) mentioning your case number.

Message 6 of 34
advocate1
Tutor

I've had TWO units that have both had the same failure in the same circumstances.  The unit boots up the first time with no trouble, but when I go to reboot, the unit stops booting with the same messages "mount_block_root+1e9".  I contacted support and was given the same recommendation as above.  However, when I try to enter USB Recovery Mode, the unit just says "Booting from USB" (or something similar), but never indicates that it has entered recovery mode and never actually recovers.

Either they have a bad batch of hardware units, or there is a firmware bug at work here...  I'm using 4TB HGST drives..

Message 7 of 34
advocate1
Tutor

One more thing:  On my latest unit, I didn't upgrade.  It was loaded with 6.4.1 out of the box, and that's what it still has on it.

It survived the first boot after I put the drives from the old unit into it.  But, when I powered down and rebooted, I got the error.

I found an older USB Drive and managed to reflash it.  The unit NEVER indicated that it had gone into "USB Recovery Mode."  It just said "Booting from External USB" for a short period of time and then powered off.  

It would be nice if Netgear would give correct instructions so that we know what to expect.

Message 8 of 34
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I can only see the one unit on your profile. If you have the serial number of the other unit it would be nice if we could get the details of that unit as well.

For USB Boot Recovery it should say Booting from external USB and then powre off when done. So the time it did that USB Boot Recovery probably completed.

I assume you get the mount_block_root error regardless of whether the disks are inserted or not and if you try to access the boot menu you get this error rather than the boot menu?

If you have a HDMI display you can hook up to the NAS what do you see on that? Do you see a login prompt?

At this point we are trying to gather more information on this problem, so that we can determine what is causing it and go from there.

Message 9 of 34
advocate1
Tutor

You are correct that, when the failure occurred, I would get the mount_block_root error regardless of whether the disks are inserted or not and if I tried to access the boot menu I would get that error rather than the boot menu.

I emailed you the logs, but your spam filter reject them (and in doing so gave me your @concentrix email addresses).  I've re-sent the logs to your @concentrix email addresses from another email address and am hoping that it will not get bounced.

The two units that I'm describing probably aren't on my profile.  I contacted telephone support about the first one, and so you can probably get the serial number from that.  See Case Number 26260491.  If you want to get your hands on it, contact Amazon.com and intercept it during the RMA process.  It still has the failure right now and is on its way back to Amazon.com.

The second one is sitting here at my home, but I managed to get it working again with the USB recovery process.  I'm backing up the data to a USB Drive now, and won't be doing a reboot again until that's done.  Once it's done, I'll do a couple more reboots.  

I'm guessing that I'll experience the failure again, but who knows?

Unless you guys can assure me that this is a firmware issue, I'm probably going to return this one as well.  I'm not interested in taking the risk that there's a hardware failure that's going to recur after my 30-day return window expires.

I am unable to currently connect a monitor and tell you what the screen shows because I was able to flash the firmware using the USB recovery method and everything is booted up and working properly for the moment.

Message 10 of 34
advocate1
Tutor

Your spam marshall has again blocked the logs.  I get a message that says:

"(myemailaddress) is not allowed to send to the intended recipient(s) as defined on Concentrix Email and Information Exchange Policy."

Why do you ask for logs if you block all email addresses from sending them to you?

Message 11 of 34
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Thanks.

We are looking into this issue and will update this thread with more info as soon as we are able to.

On your unit that is currently working I would like to get Remote Access to it to make a settings change so that if the problem does reoccur we may be able to get some useful information. I will PM you the details.

I can't recall receiving logs from you unless you sent them from a different email to what is shown on your profile. The address to send logs to is a group email, and your email was rejected by the provider for at least some of the recipients.

Message 12 of 34
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

We've been able to confirm that this is a problem that should always be fixable with USB Boot Recovery. Not all USB keys are compatible so you may need to try a number of USB keys before you find one that works.

Message 13 of 34
advocate1
Tutor

Can you advise what causes the bug to occur?

What should we NOT do in order to avoid the bug?

Message 14 of 34
jakester
Tutor

The USB Boot Recovery Tool worked with my Sandisk Ultra 32Gb USB (FAT32). It was the only one I tried. RN314 has been running almost three weeks , perfectly. Recovery Tool rebooted the system, upon completion, and I rebooted system one week later after moving some large video files. Working great!  Thanks for the help!!!

Setup  >  Raid5, Xraid2            3 x 3tb. Seagate NAS drives STV3000VN000 

I purchased the 4th drive and would like to simply increase the volume by adding it to the existing Raid5 setup( bay 4 is empty). If anyone has a link I could reference please PM me or post . Thanx

Message 15 of 34
StephenB
Guru

@jakester wrote:

I purchased the 4th drive and would like to simply increase the volume by adding it to the existing Raid5 setup( bay 4 is empty). If anyone has a link I could reference please PM me or post . Thanx

All you should need to do is hot-insert the (blank) 4th disk and wait.  If the expansion fails, then either start a new thread on the forum or use netgear support.

Message 16 of 34
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@advocate1 wrote:

Can you advise what causes the bug to occur?

What should we NOT do in order to avoid the bug?

I have just edited my post to link to an article on the subject. This is not a problem caused by user error as far as I can tell.

Obviously you should not unplug the power in the middle of a firmware upgrade, but this problem wasn't caused by that. You would likely get quite a different error message if you did that.

Message 17 of 34
advocate1
Tutor

So, what causes it?  Why does it happen to some but not others?

Message 18 of 34
advocate1
Tutor

Perhaps more accurately, what triggers it?

Message 19 of 34
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

We have diagnosed this by analysing some affected systems.

We are still investigating how to reproduce this problem, but we have determined that the hardware is fine and that USB Boot Recovery is the fix for systems that have run into this.

Message 20 of 34
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

We are working on a fix to prevent further cases of this issue. It will be in an upcoming firmware update.

Message 21 of 34
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

There is a fix to prevent further cases of this issue. It is in the 6.4.2 firmware update which is now available.

Message 22 of 34
advocate1
Tutor

When I click "check for updates" on both of my ReadNAS 31400s, nothing happens.

Is this yet another bug, or is the 6.4.2 update not yet available?

Message 23 of 34
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

We released it as a local update for now and it will be put on the update server later.

Message 24 of 34
JayMcc
Aspirant

Re: Rn314 no access past the boot up... "mount_block_root +1 e 9" huh? #26280310

....and what do we do if the USB boot recovery doesn't work? Mine gets as far as "loading INITRD.GZ..........Ready" and stops.

Any ideas?

Message 25 of 34
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 33 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements