× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Rn314 no access past the boot up... "mount_block_root +1 e 9" huh? #26280310

advocate1
Tutor

Re: Rn314 no access past the boot up... "mount_block_root +1 e 9" huh? #26280310

Try another USB stick.  

For me, at least, it took a very old (and small) USB stick before the recovery would work.

Message 26 of 34
JayMcc
Aspirant

Re: Rn314 no access past the boot up... "mount_block_root +1 e 9" huh? #26280310

Thanks for the advice. I've tried quite a few USB sticks. Most aren't recognised. The one that actually does mount loads the  Linux kernel and initrd.gz then stops so I'm guessing it can read the stick.

Message 27 of 34
advocate1
Tutor

The ones that I used and which did not work all loaded and got to a certain point (I cannot remember where) and then stopped.  So, the fact that you get to a certain point, but do not work, does not mean that the USB drive is working.

Keep trying.

Message 28 of 34
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Yes you need to keep on trying different USB keys till you find one which works.

Message 29 of 34
JayMcc
Aspirant

Has anyone been able to isolate the USB issue? Is it a mounting problem (I suspect this is the case and it can't deal with proprietary drivers) or is it a problem reading files.

As stated above my NAS will mount one of the many USB sticks I have tried but stalls at “loading............initrd.gz”. I’m very familiar with Linux and am fairly certain that the USB volume is mounted and it can read at least 2 of the files. Has anyone seen anything similar?

Perhaps NETGEAR should publish a list of compatible USB sticks so that the pile of useless USB sticks I have on my desk won’t continue to grow. It also might save me forking out for more.

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 30 of 34
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

There are a huge number of USB keys on the market and we can't keep track of them all. Please try some more USB keys JayMcc.

I assume you are following the instructions and using the USB Boot Recovery tool to create the USB Boot Recovery key?

Message 31 of 34
JayMcc
Aspirant

You don't need to keep track of them all, just the ones that work. I've spent almost 20% of the price of the NAS on USB sticks. Surely you could make some recommendations on which ones have worked or are most likely to work.

Message 32 of 34
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Unfortunately if you can't find a USB key that works and have tried that many then the unit will need to be replaced.

You could either return to the store you purchased and exchange for a new unit, or we could do an RMA. Either way you should use a scratch disk (must not be from your array) to update the firmware on the new unit to 6.4.2 (which has a fix for this problem) before moving the disks across. If you don't have a scratch disk let me know and I can do this remotely.

Message 33 of 34
JayMcc
Aspirant

Sounds like a new unit might be my best option, I have an open support ticket so I'll discuss it there. Thanks for the help.

Message 34 of 34
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 33 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements