× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Root is 97% full

Johnmcm
Aspirant

Root is 97% full

Hi. I am new to this, so apologies in advance. Whilst on holiday I started to receive error emails from the NAS that the anti virus software wasnt able to be updated. After a few days and now I get a Root is 97% full error message. I am not very PC competent but happy to seek a remedy to the above from the community. If I need to look at /post anything else please let me know. I would really appreciate some help. Thank you. John
Model: RN10200|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
Johnmcm
Aspirant

Re: Root is 97% full

Hi Mark, thank you for your reply.
I was trying to avoid the cost of netgear support, but I don’t even know what ssh is, so unfortunately will go down the support route. Thank you. John.

View solution in original post

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay
Message 3 of 5

All Replies
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Johnmcm

Welcome to the Community!

This is not a normal occurrence and this type of issue is usually escalated to Support so they can properly assist you on clearing your root OS volume and also to fix any possible cause why it was filled (App installed or saving on the said volume or logs filling up)

If you are comfortable on using SSH then there are posts available that advises on what to do if you want to do it yourself.

e.g. https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/System-volume-root-s-usage-is-90-RN...

Otherwise, contacting NETGEAR Support is the best option. You can create a case online thru my.netgear.com. If your ReadyNAS is out of support then purchasing a contract like Pay-per-Incident Support is advised ($75).

HTH

Regards

Message 2 of 5
Johnmcm
Aspirant

Hi Mark, thank you for your reply.
I was trying to avoid the cost of netgear support, but I don’t even know what ssh is, so unfortunately will go down the support route. Thank you. John.
Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay
Message 3 of 5
8ohmh
Guide

WARNING ! It is NOT FOR UNEXPERIENCED USERS!
1. Enable SSH for your account in Readynas GUI (But then you will maybe loose guarantee)
2login into ssh
3. In shell check if u are root
4. look for

/tmp

dir and try to delete everything in there (best make backup of that on your nas disks)
5. If U get some space try to install tool

"ncdu" by apt-get install ncdu 

and start it on console by

ncdu -x -r /

and look where the most used space is (NCDU scans all folders looking for usage). If you are sure what to delete, then use ncdu again but with

ncdu -x /

Without -r you can delete files!!!
But AGAIN THIS IS NOT FOR UNEXPERIENCED USERS!!!

Message 4 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@8ohmh wrote:

WARNING ! It is NOT FOR UNEXPERIENCED USERS!

I've never used ncdu, so no recommendations either way on that.

One thing you missed was the need to mount the OS partition to a temporary mount point.  That is a really important step.

That is done with

# mount --bind / /mnt

Then search /mnt for the extraneous files.

When done, you can unmount /mnt using

# cd /
# umount /mnt

The hardest part is figuring out what to delete.  I suggest asking here, then people can post what is in their folders, so you have a reference to compare against.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements