× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: SMB Protocol 3.1.1 and Windows 10

Sp4
Guide
Guide

SMB Protocol 3.1.1 and Windows 10

https://kb.netgear.com/24913/How-do-I-back-up-my-Windows-PC-to-a-ReadyNAS-OS-6-system-using-Windows-...

I'm refrencing this article to lower the SMB version to 2.0 for Windows Backup and Restore compatibility. When I launch the SMB Plus application the dropdown says SMB 3.1.1 is for Windows 10. Is this true? I guess I could find out and try, but wanted to ask here as I would prefer to use 3.1.1. See attached file

Thank you

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

I believe it was true back in 2016, but I suspect Microsoft resolved the issue after that.

I suggest just trying the backup with SMB 3.1.1, and see if it works.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 12

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

I believe it was true back in 2016, but I suspect Microsoft resolved the issue after that.

I suggest just trying the backup with SMB 3.1.1, and see if it works.

Message 2 of 12
Sp4
Guide
Guide

Yes it worked just fine. I'm assuming if it didn't I would have gotten a connection error? I was more worried about the data being corrupt. I downloaded the newest manual and it somewhat differs from that older article. Thanks for your response @StephenB 

Message 3 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@Sp4 wrote:

Yes it worked just fine. I'm assuming if it didn't I would have gotten a connection error?

The backup would have failed - not sure what the error would be.

Thanks for posting back, it's good to know that workaround is no longer needed. 

@JohnCM_S , @Marc_V - It looks like this article needs some updating:  https://kb.netgear.com/24913/How-do-I-back-up-my-Windows-PC-to-a-ReadyNAS-OS-6-system-using-Windows-...

Message 4 of 12
rn_enthusiast
Virtuoso

By the way, if you want to see what SMB version the client is opting to use, then you can see it by running this command from the CLI of the NAS - while the client is connected over SMB.

# smbstatus

Quite handy!

Message 5 of 12
rn_enthusiast
Virtuoso

Or for the brief version:

# smbstatus -b

For all options available:

# smbstatus --help
Message 6 of 12
Sp4
Guide
Guide

All this is great info, thank you. I am somewhat new to advanced configuration with my NAS and I'll admit it's really interesting all the things I can do with this.

DO I need an app to use the CLI of my ReadyNAS? I see one called Docker CLI, is this it?

Message 7 of 12
rn_enthusiast
Virtuoso

Nope, the CLI (command line interface) is part of any Linux system. The ReadyNAS uses the Linux operating system. You can use the SSH protocol to reach the CLI.

If you go to the web admin page, you can simply enable SSH.

1. Go to System > Settings > Services.
2. Click on SSH.
3. When prompted with the support warning, click Yes if you are sure you want to proceed.
4. Select Enable SSH and Enable password authentication.
5. Click Apply.
6. You can now connect to the ReadyNAS through SSH as the root user.

Then use "Putty" to do SSH from your Windows PC. Putty is just one option but the most widely used.

https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/latest.html 

When logging in over SSH, you need to use to the username: root

The password will be the same password as you use when accessing the web admin page (i.e. the admin password for the NAS).

The ReadyNAS uses all standard stuff. It is Linux based, it uses Samba for the SMB config, it uses mdadm for the raid config, it uses apache2 for the web admin page, etc. It is all standard stuff, which is really great cause it means that it will act pretty much like any other Linux system.

Cheers

Message 8 of 12
Sp4
Guide
Guide

@rn_enthusiast  Great, thank you for all the info!

Message 9 of 12
Sandshark
Sensei

With current versions of Windows 10, you don't even need Putty, as the SSH command is now built into Windows.

Message 10 of 12
schumaku
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

With current versions of Windows 10, you don't even need Putty, as the SSH command is now built into Windows.

Yes ... for more than two years, and enabled by default since April 2018 8-)

Message 11 of 12
Sp4
Guide
Guide

Yes I do have it pre-installed here on Windows. Thanks everyone for the info

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 5 in conversation