× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Safe to ship a ReadyNAS with drives in place?

PhotoJoseph
Tutor

Safe to ship a ReadyNAS with drives in place?

I'm selling my ReadyNAS with 12 of 16 drive bays full. Is it safe to ship a NAS with the drives in place (I still have the original ReadyNAS box), or do the drives need to be removed? 

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
Sandshark
Sensei

Netgear did, so they obviously believe it's safe.  I'm not familiar with a 16-bay ReadyNAS.  But assuming it's a rack-mount unit, the caddies do hold the drives in both directions -- they won't come out or push in against the backplane in normal shipping.  My personal feeling is that anything that's bad enough to damage it with the drives installed would likely have damaged it without them.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
Sandshark
Sensei

Netgear did, so they obviously believe it's safe.  I'm not familiar with a 16-bay ReadyNAS.  But assuming it's a rack-mount unit, the caddies do hold the drives in both directions -- they won't come out or push in against the backplane in normal shipping.  My personal feeling is that anything that's bad enough to damage it with the drives installed would likely have damaged it without them.

Message 2 of 3
PhotoJoseph
Tutor

Awesome, thanks for that! Very good point that enclosures ship with drives in place all the time. 

-Joseph 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements