× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Samsung TV only finds some folders on ReadyNAS Duo

MACNAS
Aspirant

Samsung TV only finds some folders on ReadyNAS Duo

Hi all, 

I'm quite new to NAS drives and setting up LAN's so please be gentle with me!

I got a seciond hand ReadyNAS Duo V1 running RAIDiator 4.1.16 [1.00a043] , from a mate as he no longer needed it with the intention of dumping all the pictures of my kid + any movies have all in 1 place to access form the 2 TV's we have (Both older samsung models). All seemed okay at first did a trial with a couple of movies and it worked great. So i transfer the 1TB of movies and pictures onto it and the problems started. 

The Tv could no longer find the NAS, restart  TV and NAs and there it is, but it can now only see some of the movie folders on the drive (6 out of 9)

I have tried re organising the movies into only 6 folders and that resulted in the TV only seeing 1 folder... 

I know i cant use PLEX as my NAS is too old but does anyone have a solution to this? either a way to stick PLEX on an old NAS or a way to fix the TV?

Thanks in advance

Model: RND2000|ReadyNAS Duo Chassis only
Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Re: Samsung TV only finds some folders on ReadyNAS Duo

You can't use plex., what you are using is the ReadyDLNA service built into your NAS.  While you might be thinking that the TV is showing sharenames, it isn't doing that.  What you are seeing is categories of media (Photos, Music, ).

You need to enable ReadyDLNA for each share.  It's also often helpful to do a manual rescan of the media.

Message 2 of 4
MACNAS
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply.
So I tried sharing all 9 folders containing movies individually, and did a re-scan. No change.
Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@MACNAS wrote:
So I tried sharing all 9 folders containing movies individually, and did a re-scan. No change.

Not sure what you mean by "sharing all 9 folders".  Do you mean you configured ReadyDLNA to use all 9 shares?

Other possibilities-

• if one of the media files is corrupted, it is possible that it will crash the scanner (not likely, but it does happen sometimes).
  • Some of the media files might not be compatible with ReadyDLNA.  For instance H.265 video probably won't work.

It is possible to turn on a "debug" mode, scan, and then download the log zip file.  There will be a lot of information in upnp-av.log.  If you have any familiarity with the Linux CLI, you can also do this manually via ssh (which is faster).

Another approach is to remove all the shares from ReadyDLNA, and then test them one at a time (removing the first share, adding the second, then rescanning).  That should make it fairly easy to locate the problem files.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements