× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Scheduled scripts automated.

ChrisKing
Guide

Scheduled scripts automated.

I currently have 2 NAS drives on my home network, and both allow automatic scheduling and emailing to the Admin account via its built in scheduler any "server logs" which also report any activity (i.e. admin logon, DOS attacks, BOT attacks, updates to AV, Time Sync etc)

I find this very useful, especially as it also clears the NAS log file after its been emailed, so thus allows automatic maintenance, plus allows the admin user to see a weekly report of the NAS log which is emailed automatically.

Currently I cant find this option under the config for the RN21400 ready series, and would love it if this feature was added.

Model: RN21400|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Re: Scheduled scripts automated.

@ChrisKing wrote:

Currently I cant find this option under the config for the RN21400 ready series, and would love it if this feature was added.

Unfortunately it's not there.

I actually created a script that does something similar - rsyncing my logs every day instead of emailing them.  I don't clear them though. 

Message 2 of 6
Sandshark
Sensei

I do something similar to @StephenB .  A cron job on each NAS creates a log .zip and also some information from HDSentinel and BTRFS.  My backup systems rsync that to my main NAS and one backup system backs up all of them.  So no matter what system goes down, I can get a recent log for it.

Unfortunately, I can find no way to access the information the UI keeps for sending alerts to use that to send this via email.  And, of course, one has to be comfortable enough with Linux to create a cron job.

Message 3 of 6
ChrisKing
Guide

@StephenB wrote:

@ChrisKing wrote:

Unfortunately it's not there.

I actually created a script that does something similar - rsyncing my logs every day instead of emailing them.  I don't clear them though. 

Is there any way you can assist me or guide me as to the script you wrote and how to apply it to the NAS? being new to the Netgear Readycloud, this is a new experience for me and am still learning! 

Message 4 of 6
ChrisKing
Guide

@Sandshark wrote:

I do something similar to @StephenB .  A cron job on each NAS creates a log .zip and also some information from HDSentinel and BTRFS.  My backup systems rsync that to my main NAS and one backup system backs up all of them.  So no matter what system goes down, I can get a recent log for it.

Unfortunately, I can find no way to access the information the UI keeps for sending alerts to use that to send this via email.  And, of course, one has to be comfortable enough with Linux to create a cron job.

Is there any way you can assist me or guide me as to the cron script you wrote and how to apply it to the NAS? being new to the Netgear Readycloud, this is a new experience for me and am still learning!  However my NAS is connected to a PC environment at home and not Unix systems

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements