× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

SeaTools

stgeorge
Guide

SeaTools

Darn...I wish there was a way to run Seagate's SeaTools diagnostic on all of my readyNAS drives without having to pull them and hook them up one by one 😞

I'm getting a lot of reallocated sector counts on a specific drive in my Pro6 and it appears to be headed to that land of broken drives in the near future. Unfortunately, Seagate doesn't believe any diagnostic reports other than one from their own utility- go figure!
Message 1 of 16
StephenB
Guru

Re: SeaTools

You can return drives w/o running their utility. http://www.seagate.com/staticfiles/supp ... codes.html
Message 2 of 16
stgeorge
Guide

Thanks- I assume I'd report RAID system blocked SeaTools from testing the drive ?
Message 3 of 16
StephenB
Guru

Or "Failed other diagnostic tools, I'm confident it is a bad drive" I've used that code in the past, and never had a problem.
Message 4 of 16
stgeorge
Guide

So now this drive has completely failed and though I've replaced it with some new drives, I'd love to get it swapped out at Seagate since it is still under warranty. They should replace it, but I'm wondering about the data on it- that is, if they replace it and keep this one, then later repair it, have I just given them a copy of all my data? I doubt they'd be too interested in going through it all, but just sayin I think I'd prefer that it was totally wiped and/or destroyed. Thoughts?
Message 5 of 16
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

How many disks do you have installed and what RAID level? If you have say three disks in RAID-5 they'd need two of your disks to be able to get your data. One disk is not enough.

Even if they do get enough disks at once, the disks likely have issues, so cloning may be required and some familiarity with Linux, software RAID, LVM, EXT4 etc. If cloning fails then attempts to get at your data would be much more time consuming again and require a different set of skills.
Message 6 of 16
stgeorge
Guide

Had 3, 1T drives in RAID (2 Volume set), so I think I'm probably good. Thanks for the explanation!

I just ordered 3 more 1T drives to add to this pro6 and then, when I get my failed drive warrantied back, I'll have 6, 1T drives!

Should be good at that point for sure!
Message 7 of 16
stgeorge
Guide

OK - drives are now here and I'm ready to install them, but I'm noticing quite a bit of internal dust in my Pro6. Any thoughts on cleaning it up? I'm wondering if compressed air would cause more trouble than it's worth or if it would be a good idea to give it a good blasting?? Thoughts??! Thanks!
Message 8 of 16
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

fastfwd wrote:

Best way to clean the NAS is to shut it down, open the case, and use a can of compressed air to blow the dust out of the fans and heatsinks (and out of the power supply, and from between the drives, and off the mesh on the front-panel door, etc.). Hold the fan blades still while you're cleaning them; the fan bearings can't withstand high RPMs and will fail if you spin them up with the compressed air.
Message 9 of 16
stgeorge
Guide

Thanks! I'll crank up the compressor tomorrow morning and give it a good blast (while holding the fan blades of course!).
Message 10 of 16
stgeorge
Guide

OK- so I blasted all the dust out of / off of it, and loaded my new disks into the Pro6. Previously, I had a 2 volume set spread across 3, 1T drives. I hope that I haven't made a mistake, but I ended up purchasing 3 new, 1T drives- figuring that I had 3, one went bad but will be warranty replaced in the near future, so while I'm waiting for that I'll just finish off the set with 3 more, 1T drives. That is to say, I now have 5, 1T drives and am waiting on the 6th to be replaced by Seagate. Upon bootup, my Pro6 noticed that I now have 5 drives, but it is proceeding with resync on disk #3 only (disks 4 + 5 are not really being utilized as of yet). Do I need to pull disks 4+5 once the resync is completed and then add them into the mix one at a time, or ?

Thanks
Message 11 of 16
StephenB
Guru

I think you can just wait, though my practice is to add one drive at a time (or factory reset with all in place).
Message 12 of 16
stgeorge
Guide

It finished resync onto the 3rd disk, so it basically re-created what was there before the disk failed, and now it is doing something called "restriping" which I assume means it is expanding the volumes up to max capacity with all 5 drives.
Message 13 of 16
stgeorge
Guide

So the "restriping" was to expand the volume onto the 4th disk. Once that finished, it then began the process all over again to "restripe" the entire 2 volume set out through 5 disks. Currently finishing that up now.
Message 14 of 16
stgeorge
Guide

All back to normal now with Raid2 over 5, 1T disks.
Message 15 of 16
StephenB
Guru

good to hear 🙂
Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements