× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Seagate 6TB Ironwolf (ST6000VN0041) Incompatible with ReadyNAS disk trays

Sly_Raskal
Guide

Seagate 6TB Ironwolf (ST6000VN0041) Incompatible with ReadyNAS disk trays

I took a risk and purchased 4 x 6TB Seagate Ironwolf drives, Model #ST6000VN0041 and unfortunately the mounting holes for the disks are not matched with the trays that come with the ReadyNAS 314. 

Now I need to decide if I wish to ...

1. Sand down the 2nd pin and only mount the drives using one screw and hope that the drives don't have any issues with the ReadyNAS OS
  2. Return the drives and go with something else.

Pictures speak for themselves....

You can see by the lines I've drawn that the drives don't have the customary holes in the locations that most other drives do, and so they don't line up with the ReadyNAS tray:

IMG_0189.JPG

In addition, the black tray holder has two pins that slot into the screw holes on the sides of the drive, one pin lines up, but the other has not corresponding screw hole in the drive to use:

Tray pins:

IMG_0186.JPG

Missing hole in drive for 2nd pin on tray:

IMG_0185.JPG

Message 1 of 17
Sly_Raskal
Guide

I went ahead and sanded down two of the pins on one disk tray and mounted a hard disk, went through system setup which included a system update to the latest firmware (6.6.0), and so far things appear to be running smooth.

Going to attempt installing the remaining three drives to expand storage.

Message 2 of 17
Laserbait
Luminary

I did the same thing, I just clipped the "offending" nubs off. 

Model: RN20400|4BAY Diskless Desktop Readynas Storage
Message 3 of 17
StephenB
Guru

Maybe vote for the idea here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-for-ReadyNAS/Update-Disk-Trays-to-handle-newer-disks/... (proposing a modified tray design to solve these problems in the future).

Message 4 of 17
StephenB
Guru

Looks like the Netgear has added a pair of mounting holes to the bottom of the tray (near the latch).  It looks like these are positioned where the Ironwolf would need them.  The RN526X tray is on the right, the older tray (from my RN102) is on the left.

Trays.png

It's be great if there were a way for current NAS owners to buy the new tray.
Message 5 of 17
baeckerg
Aspirant

I have the same issue with IronWolf 8TB and RN214

Message 6 of 17
kohdee
NETGEAR Expert

The plastic insert on tool-less trays comes out, so you didn't have to clip the plastic tray to fit the drive in, widthwise. 

Message 7 of 17
baeckerg
Aspirant

doesn't that defeat the purpose of "toolless"? And it is not easy to remove the frame.

Message 8 of 17
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Well it is a workaround so that you can use these disks with the tray and the screws you already have.

Message 9 of 17
baeckerg
Aspirant

Will Netgear provide an updated tray in the future?

Message 10 of 17
StephenB
Guru

@baeckerg wrote:

doesn't that defeat the purpose of "toolless"? And it is not easy to remove the frame.

It isn't difficult to remove the inserts, and it's not something you'd touch very often. You'd also need to remove them to use a 2.5" SSD.

@baeckerg wrote:

Vote for the idea here (click on the uparrow), and add a comment that you'd like to see the updated trays available for purchase.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-for-ReadyNAS/Update-Disk-Trays-to-handle-newer-disks/...

Message 11 of 17
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@baeckerg wrote:

As the newer high capacity disks with the different layout are becoming more affordable and as more users are ready to expand their volumes with higher capacity disks I understand that this will be a concern for some, but you can follow these instructions for inserting High Capacity Disks into the Old Style Tray for OS6 units.

Newly built OS6 units ship with a redesigned tray that will work toolless with new high capacity disks. This tray is backwards compatible with older OS6 units. Please note that OS6 trays won't fit in legacy units that shipped with RAIDiator firmware.

Message 12 of 17
natan770
Aspirant

There's more to say about this 3-hole issue.

You can't just remove the plastic tray. I did it, and tried for one hour to have my disks DETECTED. Yet, there were blue lights. Very misleading.

Finally, I connected one disk manually, with no trail at all. Then it worked.

So, the only right solution is to span down that sh...ty middle hole.

Netgear is doing a very poor job.

Model: RN428| ReadyNAS High-performance Business Data Storage - 8-Bays
Message 13 of 17
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

natan770 do you have the old disk tray (i.e. the disk wouldn't fit in the tray with the plastic insert installed)?

Message 14 of 17
natan770
Aspirant

Yes. Spent much time, unfortunately. 4 x 2 plastic pieces to span down, as I'm building a 4-drive RAID array.

Now, it seems ok. Many things are misleading. I guess that for most people, everything works like a charm at first boot.

Unless disks are not detected !!!!!! Grrr.

Message 15 of 17
natan770
Aspirant

To SAND down. OF course.

Message 16 of 17
StephenB
Guru

@natan770 wrote:

You can't just remove the plastic tray.

Yes you can, as is described in the hardware manual.  See page 171 and following. http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/READYNAS-100/ReadyNAS_%20OS6_Desktop_HM_EN.pdf

Are you saying that removing the trays wasn't enough to get your disks into the array?  Are you using flexraid or xraid?

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements