× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973
Reply

Re: Seagate ST2000DL003-9VT166

Daveman
Aspirant

Re: Seagate ST2000DL003-9VT166

I called Seagate regarding the CC32 firmware and had a long discussion with technical support. Their response after talking with the firmware engineer is that the CC32 version does not have a known RAID issue, and therefore there is no firmware update for this version. However, I have three CC32 drives that have all experienced the RAID “hang up” problem.

Beisser, has Netgear observed this issue with CC32 drives? Has this been communicated to Seagate? If it was proven the problem exists for CC32 drives, maybe they would release a firmware update.

On a positive note, when you RMA a drive in the U.S., they will not send you the same drive back so there is a chance to receive newer drives (there is still no way to specify a particular firmware version for the replacement drives). It may be different for other countries.

Dave
Message 76 of 156
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Seagate ST2000DL003-9VT166

The bug is present on CC32. CC3D firmware is needed and this won't install on CC32 drives. Presumably SeaGate didn't bother to update firmware for CC32 drives as they consider CC32 drives to be too old. SeaGate should communicate better amongst itself on this issue. They should have updated their internal CC32 notes so their support reps could look up that firmware and see the RAID issue referred to. Sounds like they haven't.

Again this is a serious problem where they have a bug in their firmware and they are unwilling to provide an easy solution for the end user to get a satisfactory resolution despite informing beisser of a policy to do so.
Message 77 of 156
Indexmill
Aspirant

Re: Seagate ST2000DL003-9VT166

Hi Everybody,

I recently bought a Seagate ST2000DL003-9VT166-570 BEFORE I saw this thread!

It has Firmware CC98 and a datecode = 12441. Being a -570, I assume this is a newer drive than the -301 drives with the CC32/CC3C issue.

Can somebody please confirm that this drive is newer and does not suffer from the issue described in this thread?

Why do they keep the same basic model number and change the heck out of the drive/firmware?

Many thanks, John.
Message 78 of 156
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Seagate ST2000DL003-9VT166

Try contacting @AskSeaGate on Twitter or give SeaGate a call and refer to @mdgmnas on twitter
Message 79 of 156
netwerks
Aspirant

Re: Seagate ST2000DL003-9VT166

I just did an advance RMA for 4 drives and they sent me the same rev cc32 drives as a replacement! They are now telling me that they don't guarantee firmware in an RMA. I referred to the escalation reference # < REMOVED BY MODERATOR > you posted, sent them a link to this thread and they were able to connect the dots between tech support and warranty about what the issue was.

Since they "can't guarantee the firmware" they are still going to try and manually walk the issue through and find me some drives with cc3d firmware. If they can't, they agreed to send me some Seagate Barracuda XT ST32000641AS as a swap out instead.

The problem as you state is that this is not documented and they are handling this on an exception case basis but not documenting it anywhere so everytime a cal comes in unless you know what you can really explain the issue and point to these referneces you will just get the runaround.

Will keep you informed.
Message 80 of 156
beisser1
Aspirant

Re: Seagate ST2000DL003-9VT166

hey guys. i will try to forward this info through our internal channels..

cant be that they advise us to tell customer to request rma for cc3c drives and then dont do it.

i will keep you updated.
Message 81 of 156
netwerks
Aspirant

Re: Seagate ST2000DL003-9VT166

Here is an email response I recieved last night:

We have done some investigating on the drives that you have. The part number that you have is not able to update to CC3C or CC3D. We do currently have drives available that come with this firmware. Part of the problem is that you are running standard desktop drives in a Raid environment and they are going to fail at a much higher rate than a drive that is designed for a Raid environment. I have the same Model number in my home computer with a single drive and have been running it for 2 years without an issue. Here is what we can do. I put notes in your case that we can replace your drives with Part # 9VT166-302. These drives will come with firmware version CC3C or CC3D. CC3C can be updated to CC3D. The only reason they would have CC3C over CC3D is if they left the factory before the update. I have no way of knowing when the drives left the factory. Please call in, go to the warranty department and replace the drives with the Part # that you need for your NAS. Let us know if we can be of any further assistance.

I will let you know how my call to warranty department goes today.
Message 82 of 156
beisser1
Aspirant

Re: Seagate ST2000DL003-9VT166

netwerks wrote:
Here is an email response I recieved last night:

We have done some investigating on the drives that you have. The part number that you have is not able to update to CC3C or CC3D. We do currently have drives available that come with this firmware. Part of the problem is that you are running standard desktop drives in a Raid environment and they are going to fail at a much higher rate than a drive that is designed for a Raid environment. I have the same Model number in my home computer with a single drive and have been running it for 2 years without an issue. Here is what we can do. I put notes in your case that we can replace your drives with Part # 9VT166-302. These drives will come with firmware version CC3C or CC3D. CC3C can be updated to CC3D. The only reason they would have CC3C over CC3D is if they left the factory before the update. I have no way of knowing when the drives left the factory. Please call in, go to the warranty department and replace the drives with the Part # that you need for your NAS. Let us know if we can be of any further assistance.

I will let you know how my call to warranty department goes today.


thats more like what i would expect.
Message 83 of 156
netwerks
Aspirant

Re: Seagate ST2000DL003-9VT166

I also mentioned that they need to document this for further issues. The good news is that we have it documented here so people can reference this issue when calling in as I have done.
Message 84 of 156
StephenB
Guru

Re: Seagate ST2000DL003-9VT166

Seagate will have to do better if they want to keep selling to the consumer NAS market. One reason I like the WD Red approach is that it eliminates this support headache.

Anyway, RAID shows up in desktop computers also, so all consumer drives should be designed to work with RAID.
Message 85 of 156
Daveman
Aspirant

Re: Seagate ST2000DL003-9VT166

I called Seagate again and referenced the escalation number in this thread (thanks mdgm) and they are now working with me on getting me drives with CC3D firmware. Hopefully after a few of these cases it will be easier for other people.
Message 86 of 156
filou
Tutor

Re: Seagate ST2000DL003-9VT166

Same kind of problem for me with my Ready NAS Ultra 6.

During one year and an half I have the following X-RAID2 disk configuration: two Samsung HD154UI (FW ?), three Segeate ST2000DL003-9VT166-301 (FW CC32) an one Samsung HD203WI (FW 1AN10003). The Raidiator version is the x86 4.21.
The last week, I bought two Seagate ST2000DM001-9YN164 (FW CC4H) to extend my storage space. I go for a one year postdoc tomorrow at the other side of the world and my NAS capacity was a bit small to backup and store all my previous work.
Starting here, it's the drama.
1) The first remplacement of one of the HD154UI goes well, but during the reconstruction of the second one, a ST2000DL003-9VT166 has been annoced as dead.
2) The testing of all drives with Seatool (Samsung was bougth by Segate last year) is OK.
3) The reinsertion of the last removed HD154UI allows me to access to data again after a resynchronisation, but the NAS appaers in unprotected state in the readyNas status beside the fact that none of the drives is marked as dead.
4) I try again to put my second ST2000DM001-9YN164 (formated and partition table destroyed) in place of the HD154UI and as soon as the drive is mounted, the same ST2000DL003-9VT166 is annonced as dead

Then I do a factory reset with the two Seagate ST2000DM001-9YN164, three Segeate ST2000DL003-9VT166 (FW CC32) an one Samsung HD203WI, update to the lastest Raidiator version published (x86 4.22). No problem appears anymore.
At this moment, I think it OK, I just have the time to copy the data dispatched on many drives before my fly. But according to the Murffy law, a new problem must appear: this night, I have got a ST2000DL003-9VT166 declared dead (a different one this time) during the copy. I restart the NAS and now the resynchronisation runs. I think no error will be found and I can continue copy data until the next fake death of a ST2000DL003-9VT166, but I do not have time anymore to play with that.

Here is my current experiment with those disks. A curious thing I have noted during this experiment is that I never have error when my NAS contains different disk size (2*1.5To+4*2To or 1*1.5To+5*2To)
Message 87 of 156
ebruse
Aspirant

Re: Seagate ST2000DL003-9VT166

Daveman wrote:
I called Seagate regarding the CC32 firmware and had a long discussion with technical support. Their response after talking with the firmware engineer is that the CC32 version does not have a known RAID issue, and therefore there is no firmware update for this version. However, I have three CC32 drives that have all experienced the RAID “hang up” problem.

Beisser, has Netgear observed this issue with CC32 drives? Has this been communicated to Seagate? If it was proven the problem exists for CC32 drives, maybe they would release a firmware update.

On a positive note, when you RMA a drive in the U.S., they will not send you the same drive back so there is a chance to receive newer drives (there is still no way to specify a particular firmware version for the replacement drives). It may be different for other countries.

Dave


After a failed RMA and ending up with the same disk (certified repaired hdd at that) and on top of that paying for shipping costs and fees, it finally looks like Seagate is going to fix my issue by sending me a new disk. It looks like I will receive a new build drive (9VT166-302). So after a lot of mails back and fourth, I can (hopefully) say kudos to Seagate for taking care of me as a customer and cleaning up this mess.
Message 88 of 156
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Seagate ST2000DL003-9VT166

ebruse that is good to hear.

filou you need to get those CC32 drives replaced as advised by beisser earlier in the thread. Until you do the known issue with those drives will continue to reoccur.
Message 89 of 156
netwerks
Aspirant

Re: Seagate ST2000DL003-9VT166

beisser wrote:
netwerks wrote:
Here is an email response I recieved last night:

We have done some investigating on the drives that you have. The part number that you have is not able to update to CC3C or CC3D. We do currently have drives available that come with this firmware. Part of the problem is that you are running standard desktop drives in a Raid environment and they are going to fail at a much higher rate than a drive that is designed for a Raid environment. I have the same Model number in my home computer with a single drive and have been running it for 2 years without an issue. Here is what we can do. I put notes in your case that we can replace your drives with Part # 9VT166-302. These drives will come with firmware version CC3C or CC3D. CC3C can be updated to CC3D. The only reason they would have CC3C over CC3D is if they left the factory before the update. I have no way of knowing when the drives left the factory. Please call in, go to the warranty department and replace the drives with the Part # that you need for your NAS. Let us know if we can be of any further assistance.

I will let you know how my call to warranty department goes today.


thats more like what i would expect.


I finally got the second set of replacement drives. These are 302 drives and says on the label that they have cc3c firmware. Am I ok with using this firmware on a 302 drive or do I need to update them to cc3d?
Message 90 of 156
iansrobinson
Aspirant

Re: Seagate ST2000DL003-9VT166

I just wanted to contribute my recent experience, since this thread has been enormously useful in getting me to where I am today.

I have 5 x ST2000DL003 9VT166-301, all with f/w CC32. Over the last few months I've experienced them dropping out of the array, and prior to this week had already RMA'd 4 of them.

(In that time, I've also had my ReadyNAS replaced under warranty twice in an attempt to address this problem. Only recently has the firmware issue come to light - eventually one of the Netgear level 3 engineers identified this was the likely issue. My experience of Netgear support to date has been very good.)

I raised a case with Seagate at the beginning of the week, but received a polite reply saying that if no fault is found in a device that has been returned to them, it will not be replaced, and that they cannot guarantee that a replacement drive will have a particular firmware version.

Then I found this thread, and yesterday had a useful Twitter exchange with @AskSeagate, who created a new case for me, and advised that I needed to replace my drives with P/N 9VT166-302. This morning I spoke to their warranty department, who have promised to attach a note to each RMA order I raise, indicating the drive is to be replaced with P/N 9VT166-302.

I've just returned two of my drives. With each, I've included a letter, asking that it be replaced with P/N 9VT166-302, and including the case number, and reference to my Twitter exchange. I've also emailed the warranty department with my RMA order numbers.

I'll let this thread know how I get on.

ian
Message 91 of 156
FunX
Aspirant

Re: Seagate ST2000DL003-9VT166

So finally got around to upgrading my drives to CC3D and they are running with X-raid 2 on my readynas nv+ v2 but
not luck. Transferring around 6GB worth of data it craps out about half way, connection is lost to the box and
i have to pull the powercord.

Running 5.3.6

Any ideas?
Message 92 of 156
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Seagate ST2000DL003-9VT166

You could try opening a support case.
Message 93 of 156
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: Seagate ST2000DL003-9VT166

I've had 4 of these drives (the 301's) with the CC32 firmware running in my Ultra4+ for about a year and a half with no problems. I recently upgraded from a few versions old to 4,2,22 and suddenly have a lot of problems as others have described here. I found an interesting article here: http://niallbest.com/seagate-2tb-st3200 ... e-upgrade/. Haven't tried the force firmware update yet, but am going to have to do something.
Message 94 of 156
netwerks
Aspirant

Re: Seagate ST2000DL003-9VT166

Just following up...The replacement drives I got are 302 and the label says cc3c. Do i need to upgrade to cc3d. If so where can I find the download? Seems like seagate firmware download link is broken?
Message 95 of 156
StephenB
Guru

Re: Seagate ST2000DL003-9VT166

There is no seagate link on this thread.

Anyway, the link you should use is https://apps1.seagate.com/downloads/request.html
Message 96 of 156
iansrobinson
Aspirant

Re: Seagate ST2000DL003-9VT166

Quick update on what's happened:

I returned the first 2 drives to Seagate on 5th Oct. Today I received emails saying they were sending them back unrepaired. This despite @AskSeagate opening a case for me, advising they needed to be replaced by 302s; despite my speaking to the warranty department, who agreed they needed to be replaced by 302s; despite my emailing the warranty department with my RMA numbers so that they could ensure the drives were replaced by 302s; and despite my including letters with the drives asking that they be replaced by 302s, and referencing the case number, my twitter conversation with @AskSeagate, and my phone and email conversation with the warranty department.

So far then, a lot of noise from different parts, but no real progress.

In the meantime, while away last week, another drive dropped out of the array.

ian
Message 97 of 156
beisser1
Aspirant

Re: Seagate ST2000DL003-9VT166

seagate supplied us a new download link to the firmware. i have updated the sticky. but here it is as well:

https://apps1.seagate.com/downloads/cer ... 6192206224
Message 98 of 156
netwerks
Aspirant

Re: Seagate ST2000DL003-9VT166

beisser wrote:
seagate supplied us a new download link to the firmware. i have updated the sticky. but here it is as well:

https://apps1.seagate.com/downloads/certificate.html?key=156192206224


Thanks for this. I can finally upgrade the firmware on my replacement drives now.

Question. I was wondering if it would be possible to make byte-to-byte images of my current 4 drives (three of which dropped off in the nas) to four new drives using r-studio or r-linux, pop the newly images ones into the ready nas.

Anyone know if it will it work? 😜
Message 99 of 156
StephenB
Guru

Re: Seagate ST2000DL003-9VT166

Cloning drives can work, though if they were removed at different times the RAID array will likely be corrupt.

You'd need to insert them with the ReadyNAS powered down, as a hot-insert would be treated as a new drive.
Message 100 of 156
Discussion stats
Announcements