× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Seagate ST3000DM001-1CH166

enbeekay
Aspirant

Seagate ST3000DM001-1CH166

Hi.
I got my ReadyNAS NV+ v2 earlier in the month and got 3xST3000DM001 (as i couldnt afford a 4th at the time).

Those 3 drives were ST3000DM001-9YN166 drives which updated to firmware CC4H fine as per the HCL.

I have just got a 4th drive but this is an ST3000DM001-1CH166 which apparently is not compatible with the CC4H firmware update and is currently running CC43.

I've noticed the drive is from a different "site", the 9YN166-500 is from WU, 1CH166 is from SU.

Also the date on tyhe 1CH166-300 is 12515 while the 9YN166-500 is 12512...3 days in it...

Are the 1CH166-300 drives compatible with the ReadyNAS NV+ v2 if they can't get the CC4H firmware update?

Has anybody tried this and know the drives work/dont work?

Thanks for any help.
Message 1 of 8
PapaBear1
Guide

Re: Seagate ST3000DM001-1CH166

As a long term Seagate user, I would recommend that you return the ST3000DM001 to the vendor if you can and purchase a WD30EFRX. These new drives (on market for a couple of months) are specifically designed for use in desktop NAS units and have a three year warranty. They are a little higher priced as the market has jumped on them and demand is far outstripping supply as vendors are having problems keeping them in stock. Amazon a few days ago had them for $200 but is currently OOS and is referring the orders to affiliates and their best price is $225 now and Newegg's price with shipping is $257. They also have a 3 year warranty versus the 1 year that Seagate has gone to.

I have not purchased any Seagate drives in their new series and unless I absolutely have to probably will not until they get their act together. Also, unless you data volume is increasing so fast that you are running out of space, you are in a good position to wait a bit and see if the prices come back down to a reasonable level.
Message 2 of 8
enbeekay
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply...

I've been using Seagate drives for the last 11 years and I havent as yet had reason to change as I've not had any real issues with them.

I tend to avoid WD drives as working in a repairs environment i see WD's falling over a lot more often than Seagates and generally acting strangely...

So yeah, question about the firmware on these drive part numbers is still important to me as i dont know if the different part number requires the firmware update to work OK or not...

Ta
Message 3 of 8
StephenB
Guru

As you know, the 1CH166 cannot be upgraded to CC4H (per http://forums.seagate.com/t5/Barracuda- ... m-p/169188)

Netgear's HCL note is clearly focused on the 9YN166, and I think was added fairly recently. Perhaps Netgear only qualified the 9YN166 - hopefully they will comment. The rest of us can just speculate. You could of course try the 1CH166 anyway (likely it would work), or exchange it.
Message 4 of 8
smithy50
Tutor

Hi,

Did anyone find out if the ST3000DM001-1CH166 drives with CC43 firmware are compatible with the ReadyNAS NV+ V2

I just got two ST3000DM001-1CH166 and found that I could not update the firmware to CC4H. I wanted to install them as drives 3 and 4. I already have two WD20EARX 2TB dives installed as drives 1 and 2.

Thanks
Message 5 of 8
2turbos
Aspirant

The ST3000DM001 part number 1CH166 uses a different ASIC controller than the 9YN166 part number. While they are both ST3000DM001 model numbers, they are not compatible from a firmware perspective. If you are using the Seagate FDL firmware flash utility, it should fail with an error indicating that the binary download failed. If you could be successful at loading the firmware on the wrong part number, you will brick the drive and the only way to get the drive functional again is to return the drive to Seagate. The CC24 version of firmware is compatible with the 1CH166 part number, although I have not tried it with a ReadyNAS. You will not be able to load the CC4H firmware onto the 1CH166 drives.
Message 6 of 8
gibxxi
Guide

PapaBear wrote:
As a long term Seagate user, I would recommend that you return the ST3000DM001 to the vendor if you can and purchase a WD30EFRX. These new drives (on market for a couple of months) are specifically designed for use in desktop NAS units and have a three year warranty. They are a little higher priced as the market has jumped on them and demand is far outstripping supply as vendors are having problems keeping them in stock. Amazon a few days ago had them for $200 but is currently OOS and is referring the orders to affiliates and their best price is $225 now and Newegg's price with shipping is $257. They also have a 3 year warranty versus the 1 year that Seagate has gone to.

I have not purchased any Seagate drives in their new series and unless I absolutely have to probably will not until they get their act together. Also, unless you data volume is increasing so fast that you are running out of space, you are in a good position to wait a bit and see if the prices come back down to a reasonable level.

I agree with PapaBear. The WD Reds are designed for 24/7 NAS usage scenarios. Seagate have been having consistent issues of late just getting their drives TO WORK AT ALL. TBH, while they aren't a bad company on the whole, in terms of reliability, I'd avoid Seagate drives for NAS usage at this point in time. The WD Reds are more expensive, but you are buying piece of mind here. It's YOUR data, are you prepared to put it at risk for a few £/$ less?
Message 7 of 8
StephenB
Guru

gibxxi wrote:
I agree with PapaBear. The WD Reds are designed for 24/7 NAS usage scenarios. Seagate have been having consistent issues of late just getting their drives TO WORK AT ALL. TBH, while they aren't a bad company on the whole, in terms of reliability, I'd avoid Seagate drives for NAS usage at this point in time. The WD Reds are more expensive, but you are buying piece of mind here. It's YOUR data, are you prepared to put it at risk for a few £/$ less?
I've switched over to Red drives also, and have been quite happy with them. In my case I am retiring WDC green drives (which I don't recommend for NAS even if they are on the HCL). I also have some seagates deployed (2 in the Pro, and 2 in the Duo v1), but unless something changes I will replace them with Reds when the time comes.

In addition to gibxxi's comments, both Netgear and WDC agree that the WD Reds work in ReadyNAS, which should simplify dealing with support from both companies. They also have a 3 year warranty, which is longer than the normal warranty for consumer drives these days.
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements