× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Seagate ST31000340AS drives making click-clunk sounds

pixel81
Guide

Seagate ST31000340AS drives making click-clunk sounds

I upgraded my ReadyNAS Duo from a pair of Seagate 500GB drives to a pair of 1 TB Seagate ST31000340AS drives (listed as compatible drives on the Hardware Compatibility List: http://www.readynas.com/?page_id=82). I made no other changes to my system at the time of the install.

The upgrade went without a hitch (replaced drive 2 first, then drive 1), but the new drives now make a perpetual click-pause-clunk sound every 10-15 seconds or so. About every 4th or 5th time they go click-pause-clunk-click-pause-clunk. There have been no data errors, but if I’m streaming video to a network-connected PC in MediaPlayer, there’s occasionally a pause in the video in the midst of the click-pause-clunk-click-pause-clunk sequence. The sound is reminiscent of what I heard when the boot drive in my old XP system died a couple months ago … not the pleasant purring sound of normal disc access activity. It doesn’t matter if I’m running with just Drive 1, Drive 2, or both. The sounds occurred more frequently than above while resyncing of the drives was in progress, and less frequently during the File System check.

System Settings Below:

The drives still have the speed jumpers set to “Limit to 1.5 Gb/s Operation” as they came from the factory.

Under System > Performance, both “Disable full data journaling” and “Enable fast CIFS writes” are checked (“Disable journaling” and “Enable fast USB disk writes” are unchecked)

Under System > Power, “Enable disk spin-down …” is unchecked.

There are no error message under Status > Logs

System Information from Home screen:
Hostname: NetStore

Model: ReadyNAS Duo [X-RAID]
Serial: 1VB384R301947
Firmware: RAIDiator 4.1.3 [1.00a042]
Memory: 1024 MB [2.5-3-3-7]

MAC address: 00:0D:A2:02:47:D8
IP address: 192.168.0.100

Volume C: Online, X-RAID, 2 disks, 3% of 925 GB used

Information from Status > Health:
Device Description Status
Disk 1 Seagate ST31000340AS 931 GB , 49 C / 120 F , Write-cache ON OK
Disk 2 Seagate ST31000340AS 931 GB , 49 C / 120 F , Write-cache ON OK

SMART Information for Disk 1

Model: ST31000340AS
Serial: 9QJ1VWZW
Firmware: SD15

SMART Attribute

Spin Up Time 0
Start Stop Count 4
Reallocated Sector Count 0
Power On Hours 73
Spin Retry Count 0
Power Cycle Count 4
Temperature Celsius 49
Current Pending Sector 0
Offline Uncorrectable 0
UDMA CRC Error Count 0

ATA Error Count 0

Extended Attribute

Hot-add events 0
Hot-remove events 0
Lp stat events 22
Power glitches 0
Hard disk resets 0
Retries 0
Repaired sectors 0

SMART Information for Disk 2

Model: ST31000340AS
Serial: 9QJ1S8MF
Firmware: SD15

SMART Attribute

Spin Up Time 0
Start Stop Count 3
Reallocated Sector Count 0
Power On Hours 50
Spin Retry Count 0
Power Cycle Count 3
Temperature Celsius 49
Current Pending Sector 0
Offline Uncorrectable 0
UDMA CRC Error Count 0

ATA Error Count 0

Extended Attribute

Hot-add events 0
Hot-remove events 0
Lp stat events 2
Power glitches 0
Hard disk resets 0
Retries 0
Repaired sectors 0

Thoughts on what might be going on?

Thanks ...
Message 1 of 9
ebolasmurf
Aspirant

Re: Seagate ST31000340AS drives making click-clunk sounds

I have the same issue.. had my ReadyNAS duo for approx 4 weeks and have 2 x SEAGATE BARRACUDA 7200.11 500GB 7200RPM SATA/300 32MB installed.

I hear the "bzz.. click click" sound in 5-10 min intervalls...

Dont get any error indication from the readynas center..

Its brand new discs that I got when I bought the ReadyNAS..
Message 2 of 9
Zappes
Aspirant

ebolasmurf wrote:

Have you activated spin-down? And would your spin-down interval be 5-10 minutes? In that case your problems sounds a bit like the one jeroen1000 and me discussed in another thread: viewtopic.php?f=24&p=114101#p114101

In that case I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for someone to help you - absolutely nobody at Netgear cared about Jeroens and my problem even though it was extremely well-documented and verified by separate sources. Once the guys have your money, they don't seem to care too much about your problems with their product anymore.

ebolasmurf wrote:

Yeah, that happens. The Seagate in my ReadyNAS Duo had the "overheat bug" from day one and had to be sent to Seagate for exchange.
Message 3 of 9
wilks98
Aspirant

Hi,

In addition to the clunking noises, is anyone else receiving a high-pitched whine from their seagate drive(s). I have found that ever since I first turned on my ReadyNAS duo, I have been receiving this sound (usually within 20 minutes after power-up). I've managed to find one or two isolated posts on other forums that describe the same sound, however their has not been any cause and/or solution to this issue.

As with the other posts in this topic, FrontView reports no problems with the one and only (seagate) drive that I have installed, neither are there any SMART or temperature related issues. Aside from the strange noises my drive seems to be operating reasonably well.

Steve
Message 4 of 9
ebolasmurf
Aspirant

Zappes wrote:
ebolasmurf wrote:

Have you activated spin-down? And would your spin-down interval be 5-10 minutes? In that case your problems sounds a bit like the one jeroen1000 and me discussed in another thread: viewtopic.php?f=24&p=114101#p114101

In that case I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for someone to help you - absolutely nobody at Netgear cared about Jeroens and my problem even though it was extremely well-documented and verified by separate sources. Once the guys have your money, they don't seem to care too much about your problems with their product anymore.

ebolasmurf wrote:

Yeah, that happens. The Seagate in my ReadyNAS Duo had the "overheat bug" from day one and had to be sent to Seagate for exchange.

Spindown isnt activated... I turned everything "extra" off. Only use it for storage of .raw files from the dSLR.

Sounds weird if both drives would be deffective from the start...
Message 5 of 9
H1001
Aspirant

I had exactly the same problem. My ReadyNAS duo came with one 500GB disk. After some weeks, I ordered two Seagate ST31000340AS disks (1TB) that would be compatible with the ReadyNas.
I installed the first one next to the original 500GB disk.
Clicking-clunking noises, but appearently no real problems as the ReadyNas did not report any problem. I kind of hoped it was part of the formatting process.
After syncing, I replaced the 500GB with the second 1T drive.

The clicking noises did not disappear and I noticed that when playing music to a PC, the music stopped from time to time for a few seconds. Every few seconds, the hard drive makes the dreadful noise. The noise of a dying hard disk I think.
It is like the drive heads in the disk are completely off.

Today, I took out the first 1G that I placed and rebooted the ReadyNas. No clicks from the other 1GB drive. So it seams to me it is a hard disk problem of one disk.
I just put the problem-disk in an external hard drive casing and am now trying to format it (NTFS). The same terrible clicks occur.
I am going to send this drive back to the supplier.

I am interested to hear more experiences, it seems that are quite a few that have problems with this disk type.
Message 6 of 9
paulm2008
Aspirant

I had a similar problem when I installed the second seagate drive into my 2150. I too did not have any reported issues with the drive until at one point follwing power-up - Frontview reported the drive as dead. In my humble opinion any abnormal noise from the drives suggests a problem - unless there is some resonance between the HDD and the readyNAS casing, although unlikely - it may not show up immediately but it will at some point terminate. I suggest replacing the drives as soon as possible. Its a pain having to re-sync the drives when one fails but least you have you data intact.

It does amaze me how the build standard of HDD's appears to have gone down the Pan of late - probably manufactures setting up new operations in for off places. Older systems I have owned have hard drives which in effect have lasted the life of my computers - of late this appear to have dropped to about 6 months. At work they are falling like flies too - basically at a rate of 1/week !!
Message 7 of 9
Shewbawka
Aspirant

Consider me yet another victim of this issue. I strongly agree with paulm2008. What does everyone here have in common?

1. A ReadyNas
2. Seagate hard disks

I have gone through a lot with this problem. First I was having the problem with just one drive, same thing as mentioned above periodic clunking and clicking which would cause screen freezing of the movie that the Nas was streaming. I also get a high pitch wine along with the clicking and clunking. I thought it was a failing drive so I started transferring the data to my PC after the ReadyNas marked one drive in channel 2 as dead (I was able to transfer 300GB out of 4TB before the failure). So I took the "failing" drive out and got it ready to send back to Seagate. As part of the return process Seagate has you run diagnostics with their "Seatools" application. My "failing" Seagate drive passed every single diagnostic, and behaved perfectly as expected while attached to my PC. I have since re-formatted both drives with X-Raid (I was using a Raid 0 because I use my ReadyNas Duo as a media streaming device).

Now, both of my drives are clicking, clunking with the high pitch wine. I believe this is some sort of compatibility issue with the ReadyNas and Seagate hard drives. I think Netgear needs to figure this out, or take Seagate drives off the compatibility list. Going forward, I'll be buying Western Digital drives for my ReadyNas.
Message 8 of 9
Han_Solo
Tutor

Shewbawka wrote:
Consider me yet another victim of this issue. I strongly agree with paulm2008. What does everyone here have in common?

1. A ReadyNas
2. Seagate hard disks

I have gone through a lot with this problem. First I was having the problem with just one drive, same thing as mentioned above periodic clunking and clicking which would cause screen freezing of the movie that the Nas was streaming. I also get a high pitch wine along with the clicking and clunking. I thought it was a failing drive so I started transferring the data to my PC after the ReadyNas marked one drive in channel 2 as dead (I was able to transfer 300GB out of 4TB before the failure). So I took the "failing" drive out and got it ready to send back to Seagate. As part of the return process Seagate has you run diagnostics with their "Seatools" application. My "failing" Seagate drive passed every single diagnostic, and behaved perfectly as expected while attached to my PC. I have since re-formatted both drives with X-Raid (I was using a Raid 0 because I use my ReadyNas Duo as a media streaming device).

Now, both of my drives are clicking, clunking with the high pitch wine. I believe this is some sort of compatibility issue with the ReadyNas and Seagate hard drives. I think Netgear needs to figure this out, or take Seagate drives off the compatibility list. Going forward, I'll be buying Western Digital drives for my ReadyNas.

What model are you using? If they are the ST31000340AS drives then that drive is about 2 1/2 years old and not even available at the moment. If these are the same model as was reported in this thread back in 2008 where did you purchase them from? For the ST31000340AS drives there was a updated firmware from Seagate that might help with this issue but I need to check if we still have it or we can get it from Seagate.
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements