× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Seagate STBD2000101 Retail for Duo v2

BALR1415
Aspirant

Seagate STBD2000101 Retail for Duo v2

I am want to but a 2TB drive for my new Duo v2 and have a choice between the Seagate STBD2000101 and a WD Green 2TB (also retail). I can nort seem to get any data on the Seagate as to what actual disk it is. From the specs of 7200 RPM and 64Mb cache it may be a ST2000DM001. There is a lot of info here about the WD 2TB Green, but I would rather the Seagate.
Does anybody have any experience with this Seagate retail drive in a Duo v2?
Message 1 of 2
PapaBear1
Guide

Re: Seagate STBD2000101 Retail for Duo v2

Newegg has a photo of the drive label and it has very little info on it, not even the model number. It may be fine, but it may not be. I would not risk it.

WD does NOT recommend their Green drives in NAS use. They have specifically brought out a Red label series and the WD20EFRX and WD30EFRX are on the Duo V2 compatibility list. However, they are in very short supply as they have just been introduced and the demand has far outstripped the supply. Those vendors that have them (none of the primary ones who are all out of stock) have doubled the prices recently. If you can wait a bit and keep an eye out for them, that would be best. If you go on Newegg.com, you can go to the WD20EFRX listing and click on notify. They will send you an e-mail when they are available. There was obviously a pent up demand that WD recognized, now they just need to be able to catch up with demand.

Another option is the HGST (formerly known as Hitachi) HDS723020BLA642. Hitachi has had good reports on these drives, and they are in stock at Newegg for approximately $142 each (w/delivery). The WD20EFRX is still shown at the old price of $137 each (w/delivery).
Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements