× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Setting up seperate hard drives

jonathan1981
Aspirant

Setting up seperate hard drives

Hi

I have just purchassed the readyNAS and put 2 (3TB) hard drives into it, I would like to set it up such that I can store music on one drive and y photos on the other.

In the future I will be purchassing extra hard drives, which I would like to set-up as back up drives for the original 2 drives.

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks

Jonathan

Message 1 of 5
StephenB
Guru

Re: Setting up seperate hard drives

What model NAS and what firmware is it running?

Note the default configuration for the NAS is xraid.  That would give you a single 3 TB volume with 2x3TB disks, and expand to 6 TB when you add a new disk.

You can set it up other ways though.

Message 2 of 5
jonathan1981
Aspirant

Hi stephen

It is a ready NAS 104 and has firmware 6.2.5.

All I have done is loaded the drives into the unit (it has told me it is working on the xraid method) and it is showing both drives in the unit but only 3TB storage. I would like to set it up initially so they are seperate drives as I have the data stored on a desktop PC anyway but I want to be able to use my laptop to access the images and my SONOS system to access the music files.

I have gone down this method because I used to have a 4TB NAS drive (seagate) and the unit failed on me and I lost most of my data because I hadn't been actively backing it up, so I have "karens replicator" running on my desktop PC to ensure they have a mirror image of each other. Thats why when I can buy 2 more units I would like this NAS104 to have 1 drive for photos and 1 for music and then a drive to back each one up (automatically).

Thanks

Jonathan

Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

What you do is:

-switch to flex-raid

-uninstall apps

-destroy the volume

-recreate volumes as desired (perhaps naming one of them data)

-reinstall apps

This is destructive of course, so you'd need to back up any existing data first.

FWIW, you are better off backing up the files to drives on a different device.  There are potentially failure modes that could result in data loss on multiple disks (even with jbod).

Currently I back up to other NASes, though I have backed up to dedicated internal drives in PCs in the past.

BTW, the NAS has its own backup engine, which you can use as an alternative to the replicator.

Message 4 of 5
jonathan1981
Aspirant

That worked a treat thanks Stephen, I have noted your warning and will continue to back up to the PC for now but maybe in the future invest in another NAS drive.

I will look at the NAS app for rreplication.

Thanks again

Jonathan

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements