× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Shares disappeared from specific Windows 10 host

nickjames
Luminary

Shares disappeared from specific Windows 10 host

ReadyNAS 516 v. 6.10.7 (I did upgrade in this troubleshooting process but previously was on 6.10.6)

I access my ReadyNAS via SMB via \\192.168.123.101 in the address bar. From another Windows 10 device within my network, it should look like this:

2022-07-19 10 34 51.png

admin is a default system folder

Documents is a share on the ReadyNAS that I've gone into and NOT hid (Settings > Network Access > Advanced > [unchecked] Hide this folder). I normally hide all shares. This is for troubleshooting this matter.

home is the default home folder

RAID50.6x2TB is the shared "root" volume. Documents is inside this folder for example.

When I access my ReadyNAS as I normally would from another Windows 10 machine in my environment, I'm only able to see the Documents share because it's not hidden (expected) but where are the other shares from the previous screen shot?

2022-07-19-180116.png

If I go in and hide the documents share nothing shows up at all now:

2022-07-19-180917.png

I'm not sure what I've done to have caused this behavior. Here is a recap of what I did that might have caused a problem:

- I don't normally map drives. I mapped a drive in the last 72 hours because I was going to be accessing it a lot. That previously mapped drive has disappeared and I'm not sure why.

- Every single time I reboot my computer I have to re-enter my credentials to gain access to the shares by design. This is expected. I don't have to do that anymore.

- I checked the credential manager in Windows thinking something might have been cached but I'm not sure that is where I should be looking.

- I normally run a script to disconnect from the ReadyNAS and when it run it, it no longer tells me that I'm connected to it.

It truly seems like something is cached but I'm not sure where to clear out these cached credentials.

Thanks for reading. I hope you can help!

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Shares disappeared from specific Windows 10 host

@nickjames wrote:

You are right -- there are two accounts in use: admin and Nick. They are both admin accounts but nonetheless, different accounts. I *think* I mapped the drive with the Nick account. That could be what is cached but where is it cached?

They might be both in the admin group, but full access to the data volume is limited to the actual admin account.

Try going into "home" on the machine using the admin account. See if there is a Nick folder in there.

@nickjames wrote:

I went through and deleted everything out of the Windows Credential manager yesterday. There was nothing in there that had anything to do with the NAS.

Rather surprising, but possible if you never allowed the PC to save the credentials.

@nickjames wrote:

If I reboot my machine, I should always get prompted with username/password for when accessing the share, ie: \\192.168.123.101. It's no longer doing that. It just auto logs me into the share. I think it had something to do with the mapped drive but I can't even see that anymore. Are those credentials saved in the registry my chance?

They are saved by the Windows Credential Manager.

@nickjames wrote:

How could I work around this? Change the password to the admin account to force an authentication error? Change the IP address of the ReadyNAS? This is a home environment with only one user (me).

The first thing to make sure that is the NAS shares are set NOT to allow allow anonymous access to the share (click on the share settings wheel in the admin web ui, then Network Access).  

Changing account passwords should also help..

But from your symptoms, I am thinking that you should double check the Credential Manager.  Make sure you are looking at Windows Credentials.   Here's one from one of my PCs - the only windows credentials stored are for the NAS (one using its name, the other using its IP address).

credentials.png

It's worth double-checkidng the "Generic Credentials" section also, as there can be a set of credentials in there also.  

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@nickjames wrote:

When I access my ReadyNAS as I normally would from another Windows 10 machine in my environment, I'm only able to see the Documents share because it's not hidden (expected) but where are the other shares from the previous screen shot?

The first machine is using the NAS admin credentials.  That allows it to see the private "admin" folder, but also gives access to the data volume and home.

The second machine is not using the NAS admin credentials, so it doesn't see that stuff.  Likely it using anonymous access (since there is no private folder for a NAS account in the list).

There is nothing wrong here as far as the shares you see.  If there is stuff in the root that you aren't able to reach from the second machine, then there is some work you should to to put that stuff into share(s).  

You can either make the first machine's access the same as the second, or you can make the second machine's access the same as fhe first.  If you have a habit a creating folders directly on the NAS data volume from windows, you would be better off making the first machine match the second.  That will prevent you from doing that.

Either way, the trick is to use windows credential manager, and look at the username/password for the NAS credetntials.

Message 2 of 6
nickjames
Luminary

You are right -- there are two accounts in use: admin and Nick. They are both admin accounts but nonetheless, different accounts. I *think* I mapped the drive with the Nick account. That could be what is cached but where is it cached?

I went through and deleted everything out of the Windows Credential manager yesterday. There was nothing in there that had anything to do with the NAS.

I've used various net use commands and the machine never shows a valid connection to the ReadyNAS.

Something is cached somewhere and I'm not sure where the next spot to look is. If I reboot my machine, I should always get prompted with username/password for when accessing the share, ie: \\192.168.123.101. It's no longer doing that. It just auto logs me into the share. I think it had something to do with the mapped drive but I can't even see that anymore. Are those credentials saved in the registry my chance?

How could I work around this? Change the password to the admin account to force an authentication error? Change the IP address of the ReadyNAS? This is a home environment with only one user (me).

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@nickjames wrote:

They might be both in the admin group, but full access to the data volume is limited to the actual admin account.

Try going into "home" on the machine using the admin account. See if there is a Nick folder in there.

@nickjames wrote:

Rather surprising, but possible if you never allowed the PC to save the credentials.

@nickjames wrote:

If I reboot my machine, I should always get prompted with username/password for when accessing the share, ie: \\192.168.123.101. It's no longer doing that. It just auto logs me into the share. I think it had something to do with the mapped drive but I can't even see that anymore. Are those credentials saved in the registry my chance?

@nickjames wrote:

The first thing to make sure that is the NAS shares are set NOT to allow allow anonymous access to the share (click on the share settings wheel in the admin web ui, then Network Access).  

But from your symptoms, I am thinking that you should double check the Credential Manager.  Make sure you are looking at Windows Credentials.   Here's one from one of my PCs - the only windows credentials stored are for the NAS (one using its name, the other using its IP address).

credentials.png

It's worth double-checkidng the "Generic Credentials" section also, as there can be a set of credentials in there also.  

Message 4 of 6
nickjames
Luminary

@StephenB wrote:

@nickjames wrote:

@nickjames wrote:

@nickjames wrote:

@nickjames wrote:

credentials.png

Thanks for the help but still no dice. Here is a recap for anyone else reading:

• Under Windows Credentials, I've deleted all entries and rebooted, ie: Windows Credentials, Generic Credentials, etc.
  • If I log into the same machine that works with the admin account but with the Nick account, everything displays as it should (the root vol, Nick "home folder", and the home folder (Nick is an admin).
    • If I use my SMB disconnect script, it detects the connection and I'm able to disconnect.
    • I can log in and out of the share with "admin" or "nick" and all operates as it should. In fact if I disable the "Nick" user, you can not access the share at all.

I decided to add a manual entry for Windows Credentials. Now when I go to the share it works as it should, however, I don't want this behavior. Additionally, net use doesn't show me actually connected to anything... its really strange. I will keep hunting... something is cached somewhere. At least Credential Manager overrides that cache so I have a workaround.

Message 5 of 6
nickjames
Luminary

This fixed my issue as you originally said...:

"The first thing to make sure that is the NAS shares are set NOT to allow allow anonymous access to the share (click on the share settings wheel in the admin web ui, then Network Access)."

I should have read that slower. I re-traced my steps and recalled creating two new shares. The default access allowed anonymous access. I disabled that and made them match the rest of the shares and voila. Thanks again @StephenB.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements