× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Shares gone

EdjeDek
Aspirant

Shares gone

Readynas 104 6.10.2

I remove thuesday the dlna protocol from one of my shares. After this the nas completely frozen, only removing the power was helping.

Now all my shares are gone 😞  All data is still on the disk, but the shares in the readynas admin panel is empty.

Lucky I had made 11 november a Config backup ,now I'm trying to restore this backup, however the readynas will give me the error "error, Unregonized error".

That's not an error that's very helpfull.

What can go wrong here?

Or is there an other way to restore the config backup. (copy the files from the config backup manual to the nas?)

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay
Message 1 of 20

Accepted Solutions
EdjeDek
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply and time.

I Don't see error's in the log, will look closer this afternoon.

Volume's are there and the shares are visible and accessible from my win pc. Every thing looks ok, all data is there.

However the shares are not visible and therefore not manageable in the Netgear admin panel.

Solution:

I added a temporary new share and after that it was possible to restore my Config backup without error's. After the reboot the shares where visible again and everything looks fine again.

My good old duo RND2000v2 with some external usb hdd making every 2 weeks backup of the RND104, so data is always backuped.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 20

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Are you seeing any other errors in the logs?  In particular, are you seeing a full root volume?

Your data is at risk, so the first thing to do is make sure it is backed up to another device.

Message 2 of 20
EdjeDek
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply and time.

I Don't see error's in the log, will look closer this afternoon.

Volume's are there and the shares are visible and accessible from my win pc. Every thing looks ok, all data is there.

However the shares are not visible and therefore not manageable in the Netgear admin panel.

Solution:

I added a temporary new share and after that it was possible to restore my Config backup without error's. After the reboot the shares where visible again and everything looks fine again.

My good old duo RND2000v2 with some external usb hdd making every 2 weeks backup of the RND104, so data is always backuped.

Message 3 of 20
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@EdjDek

This should be resolved by running a script.

The script finds shares that were accidentally broken in the UI and fixes it. Additionally, performs migration of created folders in the roots of volumes to btrfs subvolume.

You will have to access your NAS thru SSH and apply the script. I will send it through PM.

HTH

Regards

Message 4 of 20
Sandshark
Sensei

If such a script exists and is generic in nature, why is there not a way to run it via the GUI without having to get it special delivery and run via SSH?  This is not the first time we have seen users state that shares have been "lost" to the GUI, so there is a need.

Message 5 of 20
EdjeDek
Aspirant

Thanks for the script

Runned the script, every regarding recreating shares went well,  however it hangs on this one.

== [Task] Subvolume Migrations required: 1
== [Info] Subvolume Migrations list: squeezeboxserver
=== [Warning] Do not interrupt this process. Doing so may result in an incomplete migration.
=== [Decide] If you want to terminate now, CTRL-C...Continuing in 5... 4... 3... 2... 1... 0...
=== [Task] Subvolume Migrating /data/squeezeboxserver
=== [Task] Creating replacement btrfs subvolume
==== [Task] Migrating data to the new subvolume

That's strange because squeezebox was removed a year ago.

The dir /data/squeezeboxserver still exist, however it's empty except an cache subdir.

Alson I don't have any idea why this is a subvolume.

Message 6 of 20
Sandshark
Sensei

Shares on the ReadyNAS are always subvolumes.

I guess I see why it's not built into the OS if you must monitor output via SSH.

Message 7 of 20
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@EdjeDek

The script detects whether there is a folder or none that needs to be moved to a BTRFS subvolume, the squeezebox folder might not have been deleted or not completely deleted that is why the script is trying to migrate it to a share then you can delete it once done.

HTH

Regards

Message 8 of 20
lorenzk1
Aspirant

Same problem as in subject.

Except that after restart the shares are not accessible through windows either.

SSH access shows, that /etc/frontview/samba/Shares.conf is empty.

In unix data is visible and HDs do not show any ATA-problem.

Would you please send me your recovery-script?

Model: RN10222D|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay (2x 2TB Desktop)
Message 9 of 20
lorenzk1
Aspirant

Sorry, forgot to write down, what happened:

Yesterday I deleted a personal TimeMachine in the admin-interface (Web-Frontend).

Later I got a message:

- Nov 21, 2019 14:05:43 Volume: Das Volume data hat einen Fehler festgestellt und ist daher schreibgeschützt. Es wird empfohlen, Ihre Daten zu sichern.

From Windows and MAC the Shares were accesible, but write-protected.

In the Web-Frontend the Shares were disappeared.

After restart conditions as described above. Other services seem to function.

Message 10 of 20
StephenB
Guru

@lorenzk1 wrote:

- Nov 21, 2019 14:05:43 Volume: Das Volume data hat einen Fehler festgestellt und ist daher schreibgeschützt. Es wird empfohlen, Ihre Daten zu sichern.

Did you follow the advice, and back up the data before rebooting?

Also, are you seeing an inactive volume on the volume page?  The usual result of the reboot is that the data volume doesn't mount. 

You should download the full log zip file, and look in there for BTRFS, MDADM, and disk-related errors.

Message 11 of 20
lorenzk1
Aspirant

Thanks for your advice, StephenB.

Data-backup was made two days ago, so there would not be a great loss.

I made config-file-backups after the error occured, that did not help so much.

The last complete config-file-backup before was from January 2018, old OS! (Now 6.10.2)

No inactive volumes, no disk related errors, all data seems to be ok, "data" is mounted, no errors in the log files from yesterday except in "ads.log". This log file and samba log files seem to be incomplete.

Just an empty "Share.conf" for samba service...

Even though I should have known better I restored the old config-files from January 2018 this afternoon.

Now the machine does not boot completely (still blinking after hours). Smb access on the data shares from Windows and MAC works fine, not the Timemachine. SSH access is possible (surprising, as this is normally disabled).

But there is no admin page...

So I tried to access the NAS with "RAIDar_6.5.0" from Windows. NAS is discovered and shows "Status: Management service is offline".

Diagnose button gives the attached file.

Is there a way to get yesterdays config-files (except the share related ones) back in the system, for example by ssh?

Message 12 of 20
StephenB
Guru

@lorenzk1 wrote:

Is there a way to get yesterdays config-files (except the share related ones) back in the system, for example by ssh?

Sorry, I don't know.  Perhaps someone else will chime in.

FWIW, I would have just restored smb.conf from your old config zip.

Message 13 of 20
Sandshark
Sensei

I have not come across a command or shell script that creates or restores the configuration backup.  But it's a standard .zip and you can unzip and compare the old and new contents and perhpas figure outt what change(s) created the probelm, then manually just replace that file or files.

Message 14 of 20
lorenzk1
Aspirant

@Sandshark wrote:

I have not come across a command or shell script that creates or restores the configuration backup.  But it's a standard .zip and you can unzip and compare the old and new contents and perhpas figure outt what change(s) created the probelm, then manually just replace that file or files.

Thank you, Sandshark!

Yes, that's what I am doing and step by step the machine comes back to life. Admin interface seems to work now (not yet in all aspects, several user rights seem to wrong) and there is hope.

There was heavy load in the last weeks with two private TimeMachines on the NAS. Apple made big changes and this caused the TimeMachines to work permanently, writing new and deleting old backups. I tried to react by enlarging the timeMachines space, using the admin interface. Somewhere in this field a software problem caused a rewrite of an empty /etc/frontview/Shared.conf and this was it... Can not find out, what exactly happened. EdjeDek's topic shows that this happens under certain cicumstances.

Obviously not hardware related, software problem!

Message 15 of 20
StephenB
Guru

@lorenzk1 wrote: Somewhere in this field a software problem caused a rewrite of an empty /etc/frontview/Shared.conf and this was it... Can not find out, what exactly happened.

It's worth checking how full your OS partition (root volume) is.  

If you download the log zip file, you can find this in volume.log.  Scroll down to the "=== df -h ===" section, and see how full /dev/md0 is.

Message 16 of 20
StephenB
Guru

You also might look in /var/backups to see if it still holds useful copies of your configuration files.

Message 17 of 20
lorenzk1
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

It's worth checking how full your OS partition (root volume) is.  

df -h shows 24%. No problem...

Message 18 of 20
lorenzk1
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

You also might look in /var/backups to see if it still holds useful copies of your configuration files.

Yes. I should have known, because I administered Linux machines 15 years ago... But I am rusty, because modern machines like the ReadyNAS just use to work reliably over many years without any need for the Linux prompt...

I was not able to access the NAS by SSH for several days. There were several restarts within these days. No I can have a look , but there aren't any relevant backups any more...

Nevertheless thank you for your good advice, StephenB!

Now the NAS behaves like usual in Windows and MAC environments. I got rid of the TimeMachine, which seems to have caused the initial problem.

The admin user interface looks fine, but trying to change configuration still sometimes produces error messages. Restarting the NAS nonetheless enables these changes in most cases. I was able to manually reinstall ReadyNASOS-6.10.2-arm like this over the admin interface, but error messages in config changes stay. I still assume, that my config backup was too old and because of that there are some inconsistent users' rights.

"Shares gone" was a negative miracle, the first one after six years.

So let's hope for a positive miracle with next firmware update.

Message 19 of 20
lorenzk1
Aspirant

Finally I did a factory reset, reconfigured the NAS manually, rebuilt the shares and restored all data form my backup usb hdd. Little  but unimportant data loss. Did not reastablish the TimeMachines. The old NAS is now responding quickly und works without any problems.

This just shows how important regular data backups  _and_ config backups are.

Model: ReadyNAS-OS6|
Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements