× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Simple Connection Question

bruceread
Aspirant

Simple Connection Question

I have a new ReadyNAS RN10200 and have a simple connection question.  My computers connect to the internet through a mobile hotspot on my cell phone, so I have no physical router to which to connect the ReadyNAS.  What's the best way to connect?  Seems that when I use an ethernet cable it disrupts the wireless connection to my hotspot.

Thanks!

Bruce

Message 1 of 5
vandermerwe
Master

Re: Simple Connection Question

The readynas must connect via Ethernet to something.  

Does the mobile hotspot (gateway) have an IP address as on a LAN?  and are the computers connecting to it via a wireless LAN that the mobile hotspot creates?

If this is the case I think you will need to connect the nas to an access point of some sort then incorporate the AP into the LAN.

You could, as I think you have tried, connect direct to a PC, This will limit the functionality of the nas though as it will not be a LAN device and won't have an Internet connection.

Message 2 of 5
StephenB
Guru

You can get a WiFi extender (or use a WiFi router in bridge mode).  That will let you connect the NAS via ethernet.

Message 3 of 5
bruceread
Aspirant

Thanks!  And if I connect to a bridge via ethernet, will that disable the computer's wifi connection to the mobile hotspot?  I have a bridge and seems that I tried that but then had a problem with the wifi.

Bruce

Message 4 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@bruceread wrote:

Thanks!  And if I connect to a bridge via ethernet, will that disable the computer's wifi connection to the mobile hotspot?  I have a bridge and seems that I tried that but then had a problem with the wifi.

Bruce

Your hotspot should see the extender as another client.  So it should not affect your computer's wifi connection.  There may be an issue with the specific bridge/hot spot combination you are using though.  

Were you getting internet from the ethernet connection?

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements