× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Smells Like Burning - Used Incorrect Power Supply

solanagraphics
Aspirant

Smells Like Burning - Used Incorrect Power Supply

Hi,

I had a VERY unfortunate incident a few weeks ago when I was relocating my ReadyNas Duo v2 from my home to a new office. I had moved several other electronic devices as well and when it came time to fire up the NAS, I just about did that ... well, almost. I used the power supply from a 16 port linksys switch to power up the ReadyNas and it took 5-10 seconds before I smelled the heart-dropping odor of molten electronics :hammer: Once I realized it, (and once it was too late) I swapped the supply for the correct one but it was dead as a door nail. No lights, no sounds, nada. I'm scared to ask whether you guys think my drives are fried too.. they are 2 x 1.5tb drives with important data on them (always is).

Here's what I did so far: took apart the box and found NO SIGNS of anything singed, removed the drives from the trays and tried installing one in an external drive housing in the hopes that I could access the data and move it to a secure location... this was unsuccessful. My computer (Macbook Pro Retina) was unable to mount the disk...

Is there anything I can do?? I contacted Netgear already and they said "there is no contract available to replace the unit"... my fingers are crossed that I can get away with replacing a component or two inside the box to get me back on track but for some reason I'm not too optimistic at the moment.

So... Am I SOL?

Thanks in advance for the insight guys and gals.
Message 1 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Smells Like Burning - Used Incorrect Power Supply

If you have a Linux machine it is easy to mount the volume. You could possibly try running a Linux VM (e.g. Debian or Ubuntu) in VirtualBox if you want.

Just need packages such as mdadm and lvm2 installed (these may already be pre-installed depending on what OS you choose to use).

Something like

# apt-get update
# apt-get install mdadm lvm2
# mdadm --assemble --scan
# vgscan
# vgchange -a y c
# mount -o ro /dev/c/c /mnt
Message 2 of 8
solanagraphics
Aspirant

Thanks for the quick reply mdgm. I don't have a Linux machine but here's what I do have: Macbook Pro Retina running Mavericks and a Synology DiskStation with 10tb storage.

I've never used Virtualbox or Linux... with the equipment I have, what's the best way to accomplish your suggestion? I'm kind of a newb so step-by-step would be very helpful.

Since my MBPR doesn't have a whole lot of HD space, I'd prefer to set it up on the DiskStation if possible.
Message 3 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Oops. Looking at your forum join date, I think you might have a Duo v1 hardware revision 2 not a Duo v2. Can you confirm by reading this: http://www.rnasguide.com/2012/01/09/how-to-tell-whether-i-have-a-duo-v1-or-duo-v2-or-nv-v1-or-nv-v2/
Message 4 of 8
solanagraphics
Aspirant

Actually... the bottom of the unit it reads "ReadyNAS Duo RND2150v2" with a Model# RND2150-100NAS

BUT based on the picture of the back of both units... I have a Duo (not v2)... that's a little confusing since it says v2 on the back :?
Message 5 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Message 6 of 8
solanagraphics
Aspirant

Hi mdgm!

After many setbacks, I FINALLY was able to install Linux 12.04 on my machine as a dual boot... however I still do not have wireless access but will keep cracking away at installing the correct drivers. Anyway, I don't need wireless to check the drive. After plugging in one of my drives in Linux, I get the following error:

Error mounting: mount: wrong fs type, bad options, bad superblock on /dev/sdb1, missing codepage or helper program, or other error. In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try dmesg | tail or so

This doesn't mean much to me.. however.. I became hopeful that when I opened Disk Utility I could see the drive and that it's SMART status was Healthy. Is there still a chance at recovery?

On another, more expensive note, would it do me any good to just purchase another DUO and pop the disk in? I know that these systems require you to format the drives on the initial boot.. I'd definitely have to work around this somehow and theoretically the drives should have everything they need to work properly in a Netgear ReadyNAS.. Advise?
Message 7 of 8
StephenB
Guru

Note that the two disks are not identical - disk 2 does not have a data partition. So if you tried disk 2, try again with disk 1.

On the replacement NAS - You'd need to get another duo v1; which might not be that easy to find. Any other NAS (x86, v2, or OS6) will reformat the drives.

The process is first to install a scratch disk, and install the same firmware as was on your original NAS. Then power down and pop in the two old disks (in their original slots if possible). It's critical to ensure that the NAS is off when installing the drives - otherwise it will reformat.
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements