× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Snapshots - exclude a file/folder (ReadyNasOS 6.10)

Snapshots - exclude a file/folder (ReadyNasOS 6.10)

My project stores a lot of temporary data on the CIFS network share. Data changes very quick, so literally every snapshot has tens gigabytes of trash.

1) How to exclude some filenames or folders from the snapshots? I will get out of space soon 🙂

2) How to delete files from the snapshots? A have a plenty of them already.

Model: RNDU6000|ReadyNAS Ultra 6 Chassis only
Message 1 of 3
StephenB
Guru

Re: Snapshots - exclude a file/folder (ReadyNasOS 6.10)

@SauvageSausage wrote:

1) How to exclude some filenames or folders from the snapshots? I will get out of space soon 🙂

You can't.

@SauvageSausage wrote:

2) How to delete files from the snapshots? A have a plenty of them already.

Again, you can't.  What you can do is delete the entire snapshot.

@SauvageSausage wrote:

My project stores a lot of temporary data on the CIFS network share. Data changes very quick, so literally every snapshot has tens gigabytes of trash.

Shares that have a lot of "churn" aren't well suited for snapshots.  So one suggestion is simply to turn them off for that share, and the delete the ones you have.

Another thing you can do is change to "custom" snapshots, and set an explicit retention (either in time or number of snapshots).

You should take one of these options, since it's a really bad idea to let the a btrfs file system get full.

Message 2 of 3
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: Snapshots - exclude a file/folder (ReadyNasOS 6.10)

If your software can be configured to take advantage of it, create a separate share for the temporary files and turn off snapshots just for it.  If the software doesn't like that configuration, you might be able to put a link in one share that points the temporary directory to a directory in the other share.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements