× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Snapshots on rarely used backup NAS

BJB
Aspirant
Aspirant

Snapshots on rarely used backup NAS

Greetings.

I have to Readynas units and my old RN104 is rareley used.  I recently updated a backup on it but I use my new NAS for most backups.

That being said I see that it wakes up at times and assumed it was maintenance.

Today I took the time to look at the logs and it is not.....it is snapshots.  Even though I am not using it it is waking up to do snapshots.  My maintenance is scheduled throughout the year. Not sure if it wakes up for that, I would like to know the discs are good etc.

Anyway, although I looked up KB on WHAT snapshots are etc (which I already know) I guess I have not looked at the interface on how to schedule in a long time.

What would the recommendation be for snapshots?  Maybe quarterly?  Certainly do not need weekly or monthly and where do I change this.

Thanks,

BJB

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay
Message 1 of 9
StephenB
Guru

The simplest thing to do is turn them off.  You can make a manual snapshot before you run a backup.

The behavior is a bit odd. How often does it wake up?

I have 3 OS-6 NAS (an RN524, an RN202, and a converted Pro-6) on a power schedule, and none of those wake up to do snapshots.

My (unused) RN102 does wake up about once a month, but I don't think snapshots are the cause.

Message 2 of 9
BJB
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks. I Checked Power Schedule Settings And It Is Unchecked.

No IdeA Why Waking Up...

Where Did Snapshot Scheduling Get Moved To. I Can See My Snapshots But Not The Schedule.

The Log Says Nothing Else Is Happening Except Snapshots. And Power Scheduling Is Not Checked,

Per Log Wakes Up Every Few Weeks..

BJBBJB

Message 3 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@BJB wrote:

Thanks. I Checked Power Schedule Settings And It Is Unchecked.

I wasn't meaning to imply that your NAS was running on a power schedule.  Just that snapshots weren't waking my my RN202 and x86 ReadyNAS.

@BJB wrote:

Per Log Wakes Up Every Few Weeks..

So does my RN102.  While I've never figured out why, I don't think it's about snapshots.  Instead, I think the snapshots are updated whenever the system happens to boot.

Message 4 of 9
Sandshark
Sensei

If nothing has changed since the last snapshot, another won't use any actual space.  So other than having a lot of snapshots to delete if you need to recalaim some space and don't set up manual snapshots to delete the oldest, there really isn't a downside to this.

If you are using rsync and the "Remove deleted files on target" option, then I recommend the snapshot schedule be as often as the backup schedule. 

Message 5 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

If you are using rsync and the "Remove deleted files on target" option, then I recommend the snapshot schedule be as often as the backup schedule. 

Me too.  

@Sandshark wrote:

...there really isn't a downside to this.

I don't think the puzzle is about the snapshots per se - it's why the RN100 series is powering up on its own about once a month.  FWIW I spent some time looking into this several months ago, and didn't find the cause.

Message 6 of 9
BJB
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks To You Both. Good Point That If No Changes The Snapshots Do Not Take TaKe Up Any Space. It Was Just My Assumption That Is Why It Was Waking Up. 

I'm Not Going To Let The Random Wakeup Bother Me. 

I Guess A Little Uneeded Disk Wear.

I Do Not Use RsYnc.

Appreciate All The Help,

BJB

PS. No Idea Why Every Word Auto Capitalizes On My Android Tablets Only On This Forum....

Message 7 of 9
Sandshark
Sensei

@StephenB wrote:

I don't think the puzzle is about the snapshots per se - it's why the RN100 series is powering up on its own about once a month.  FWIW I spent some time looking into this several months ago, and didn't find the cause.

Automatic check for firmware update?

Message 8 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote: Automatic check for firmware update?

Could be (or alternatively looking for a hotfix).

But I haven't seen this on my other NAS.  Also, I haven't found anything in the OS partition that schedules the power up.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements