× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Seagate ST3000DM001-9YN166: Load Cycle Count

StephenB
Guru

spett wrote:
I have tried putting the drive in my computer, same number is saved in the smart stats in the drive..
Since the drive itself creates/maintains the SMART stats, that means that (a) either the drive really is seeing that many Command Timeouts, or (b) there is a bug in the drive's firmware.

If you purchased these drives yourself, you probably will need to contact Seagate support.

What firmware is the drive running? Note you can check at Seagate to see if there is a firmware update for your drives (you can enter the drive model and it's serial number, and their on-line tool should tell you).
Message 26 of 51
spett
Aspirant

StephenB wrote:
spett wrote:
I have tried putting the drive in my computer, same number is saved in the smart stats in the drive..
Since the drive itself creates/maintains the SMART stats, that means that (a) either the drive really is seeing that many Command Timeouts, or (b) there is a bug in the drive's firmware.

If you purchased these drives yourself, you probably will need to contact Seagate support.

What firmware is the drive running? Note you can check at Seagate to see if there is a firmware update for your drives (you can enter the drive model and it's serial number, and their on-line tool should tell you).

They are upgraded to firmware version CC4H by me because of a note in the hardware compability list for the NV+ V+, but I do notice that this comment is removed now.
But the weird thing is that the comand timouts only increases when doing a disk test trough the boot menu. Did this test because I had frequent lock-ups using sabnzbd.

Did not find the online check at seagate.com, do you have a link?
Message 27 of 51
HERBIEO
Aspirant

Online check https://apps1.seagate.com/downloads/request.html
but i think you are allready running the latest firmware for those drives but worth a check.
Message 28 of 51
spett
Aspirant

Found out it does have to have something to do with the NV+ V2. Since I now had a drive with a high command timeout as a sparedrive I pulled out drive 2 which had 0 command timeouts and resynced with the spare drive. Ran a new disk test and once again the command timeouts of drive 1 increased with 30065229831. Drive 2 still have the same amount as before the test.

Googling command timouts i get that this is probably because of a faulty power supply or corroded contacts.

What do you think? Is this a software fault or is my NAS faulty?
Message 29 of 51
StephenB
Guru

The problem appears isolated to the disk test. So that would seem to rule out the supply and the contacts - they wouldn't mysteriously heal when the test completes.

It is conceivable that the disk test includes some commands that provoke the drive to fail. For instance, malformed/illegal commands, or perhaps legal but unusual commands that the drive firmware doesn't handle properly.

I'd suggest a support case.

In the meantime I would simply not run that test! And record/track the current counts and confirm that they never increase in normal operation.
Message 30 of 51
intothevoid
Aspirant

The problem appears isolated to the disk test. So that would seem to rule out the supply and the contacts - they wouldn't mysteriously heal when the test completes.

It is conceivable that the disk test includes some commands that provoke the drive to fail. For instance, malformed/illegal commands, or perhaps legal but unusual commands that the drive firmware doesn't handle properly.

In the meantime I would simply not run that test! And record/track the current counts and confirm that they never increase in normal operation.

Is that test run automatically at boot, or on a schedule? I've never manually triggered it.
Both times my drive 'failed' (and had a higher command timeout value afterwards) the NAS was in normal operation.

EDIT: Included quote for top of page clarity.
Message 31 of 51
StephenB
Guru

intothevoid wrote:

Is that test run automatically at boot, or on a schedule? I've never manually triggered it.
Both times my drive 'failed' (and had a higher command timeout value afterwards) the NAS was in normal operation.

I believe he means the "full disk test" function on the boot menu, which is described in the V2 hardware manual. If so, that test is only done upon request.

It looks to me like there is more than one issue here related to command timeouts for this disk model. For some, the command timeout errors in the alerts/log appear to be false (at least the count is reported as 0 when looking directly at the SMART stats). Others have some real command timeout errors, but the count in the alert is wrong. In spett's case, the timeout counts (though huge) are confirmed when looking directly at the SMART stats, and these counts only go up when he manually runs a disk test on the ReadyNAS.

I'm not sure how to untangle this now, since we have several folks seeing different things posting on the same thread (whose title is not about command timeouts at all!).
Message 32 of 51
spett
Aspirant

intothevoid wrote:

No, I have run this test manually trough the boot menu. That is a offline hard drive test.
Haven't noticed anything unusual in normal operation without the nas completely freezing when using sabnzbd from readynas extras. Could be a problem with sabnzbd, just strange that no one is mention any problems with it..
Message 33 of 51
toomanybarts
Aspirant

I am running a different seagate drive st32000641as, but again in Drive 1 and have just rcvd error with high command timeouts of 4295032833.
I took out drive and ran sea tools and the drive passed every test.
The other 2 drives (I'm only running 3 drives at present in the NV+ v2) are fine at zero command timeouts.

I did have disk spindown set to 15 minutes and have since turned that off.
Message 34 of 51
intothevoid
Aspirant

Hmm, seems to me like we're looking at two different paths leading to the same problem.

1) running the disk test leads to an extremely high command timeout on disk1.
2) the NAS drops disk1 saying it has failed, after reboot it resyncs and the command time out has increased (to a ridiculous value).

The high load cycle count form the thread title was my original guess for the cause of the problem, but after that was fixed with the HDPARM tweak, the command timeout problem (via scenario 2) persisted.

So either there's something wrong with all our drives, and it's a coincidence they all happen to be installed in the first slot on the NAS, or there is some weird compatibility issue with these seagate ST's and the NV+ v2, which causes the drive installed as disk1 to fail.

It's still strange why for some the command time out value seems to be real and for some not though. To complicate matters, I cannot test my drives in a normal computer as i only have a laptop...
Message 35 of 51
StephenB
Guru

intothevoid wrote:
To complicate matters, I cannot test my drives in a normal computer as i only have a laptop...
Seatools will find and test them even if they are in a USB enclosure or USB->Sata adapter. My laptop has eSata, and that of course works as well (though you need an eSata->Sata cable, and a power supply).

Though you can test it (and verify the SMART stats), upgrading the firmware when you are using USB is another matter.
Message 36 of 51
spett
Aspirant

intothevoid wrote:

So either there's something wrong with all our drives, and it's a coincidence they all happen to be installed in the first slot on the NAS, or there is some weird compatibility issue with these seagate ST's and the NV+ v2, which causes the drive installed as disk1 to fail.

I think I have ruled out faulty disks by resyncing a new drive in slot 1 and then sync the disc that where in slot 1 in slot 2.
Same result after a disk test, command timeout only increased on disk 1.
Message 37 of 51
intothevoid
Aspirant

StephenB wrote:
Seatools will find and test them even if they are in a USB enclosure or USB->Sata adapter. My laptop has eSata, and that of course works as well (though you need an eSata->Sata cable, and a power supply).

Though you can test it (and verify the SMART stats), upgrading the firmware when you are using USB is another matter.

Ah, good to know. Will test it this weekend when i have some more time.

Spett wrote:
I think I have ruled out faulty disks by resyncing a new drive in slot 1 and then sync the disc that where in slot 1 in slot 2.
Same result after a disk test, command timeout only increased on disk 1.

Yeah seems like it's not the drives. What do you guys think, time to open a support ticket? And if yes, can I refer to this thread if I make one?
Message 38 of 51
toomanybarts
Aspirant

My 3 ST drives were donated from a friend who had them running in a DROBO enclosure error free for 6 months.
Now I know a drive can fail at any time - but coincidence that after a week in my brand new readynas nv+ v2, whilst sitting idle overnight, I suddenly get 4295032833 errors??
I dont think so.
I agree - sounds very much like Firmware issues on Readynas to me.
Message 39 of 51
cynan
Aspirant

Just thought I'd add that I'm experiencing the same issue with my NV+ v2 and Seagate ST2000DM001. I've had the NV+ v2 and 3x ST2000DM001 working fine for just over 3 months now. All drives were updated by me the CC4H firmware when new, prior to being installed in the NAS. Also, prior to installing, I checked each disk with all Seatools tests (boot disk) and all were fine.

Suddenly, yesterday, I got an email from the NAS telling me that all 3 disks had failed. I ended up having to unplug the NAS from the wall to get it to power off (it was unresponsive). When I rebooted, my volume was back to normal and everything seems fine.

However, looking at the SMART info I see a command timeout value for Disk 1 of 4295032833. Both Drives 2 and 3 have a command timeout of "0". I have no idea what this value was before yesterday's incident or whether the two are related...

Seems like there might be a compatibility issue between these Seagate drives and the NV+ V2. Strange that it's always Drive 1 that has these super high command timeouts and that the high numbers are always about the same, if not identical.

I have never run any full disk check in the NAS (that you access through the boot menu) only the shorter volume check on reboot. My spin-down time is set for 60 min and has been so for months. have been on 5.3.5 the whole time.
Message 40 of 51
cynan
Aspirant

FYI, I was reading on the Seagate forums that a SMART Command Timeout reading of 4295032833 is actually a hexadecimal value.

In hexadecimal, 4295032833 = 0x0001 0001 0001, which the poster thought represented a value of "1"

Therefore, the reading of 4295032833 probably doesn't indicate that a whole bunch of Command Timeouts has occurred, but rather only a single one.
Message 41 of 51
toomanybarts
Aspirant

Cynan - good info, that makes me feel a little better, but I stress the "little"! 🙂
Message 42 of 51
intothevoid
Aspirant

seems a little strange,

binary 100010001 is 111 in hex
hex 4295032833 is 100001010010101000000110010100000110011 in binary

or am i doing something wrong? 🙂
Message 43 of 51
dsm1212
Apprentice

intothevoid wrote:
seems a little strange,

binary 100010001 is 111 in hex
hex 4295032833 is 100001010010101000000110010100000110011 in binary

or am i doing something wrong? 🙂

4295032833 is a decimal number. Convert it to hex. You treated it like a hex number.
Message 44 of 51
dsm1212
Apprentice

Btw I think that many timeouts would take centuries. So either seagate has a fw bug or the readynas is not polling the smart info correctly. Does the drive show this smart data in a different system? If so then its seagates problem I would think. However netgear could give provide an option to not treat this as a failed drive to work around the bug.
Message 45 of 51
StephenB
Guru

dsm1212 wrote:
Btw I think that many timeouts would take centuries. So either seagate has a fw bug or the readynas is not polling the smart info correctly. Does the drive show this smart data in a different system? If so then its seagates problem I would think. However netgear could give provide an option to not treat this as a failed drive to work around the bug.

Based on the limited information available, it appears that with this drive Seagate is formatting this parameter in a proprietary way - packing multiple counts into the same parameter. Hence the 0x100010001 or 0x700070007 or 0xE000E000E values that have been reported here. Exactly why they are doing this is unknown - perhaps it is simply a firmware bug in the drive, or perhaps the three subfields are somewhat different (and can hold different values in some failure modes). Since these counts have been confirmed by some users on a PC (using other SMART query tools), that doesn't seem to be a ReadyNAS issue.

But there some other users who are getting alerts on this parameter, but are seeing 0 in the SMART parameter. That seems more likely to be a ReadyNAS bug.
Message 46 of 51
grr1
Aspirant

I have two ST3000DM001-1CH166 in my Ultra4, and I am getting:

Detected increasing uncorrectable errors
Detected increasing pending sector count

On Disk 1, and a couple of days later the NAS considered the disk dead. When I test it with Seatools on a PC everything is 100% healthy. Nothing found at all.

Starting to wonder if this is related to this thread... even though it is a slightly different model drive and NAS.
Message 47 of 51
StephenB
Guru

What are the SMART stats?
Message 48 of 51
intothevoid
Aspirant

Hi all,

a quick follow up:

After my last post in this thread, 3 months ago, I decided to try one final thing: I disabled the 'disk spin-down after X minutes of inactivity' power setting. Annnnd: no problems ever since! All disks are fine and have stopped failing.
I waited a while before posting this since the original problem occurred only about once a month, but I think after 3 months we can conclude that this fixes things 🙂
Message 49 of 51
natepiet
Aspirant

grr wrote:
I have two ST3000DM001-1CH166 in my Ultra4, and I am getting:

Detected increasing uncorrectable errors
Detected increasing pending sector count

On Disk 1, and a couple of days later the NAS considered the disk dead. When I test it with Seatools on a PC everything is 100% healthy. Nothing found at all.

Starting to wonder if this is related to this thread... even though it is a slightly different model drive and NAS.

I have started having this same problem on my NAS 314 - OS 6.1.7.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thu May 8 2014 22:57:40
Disk: Detected increasing uncorrectable error count: [1592] on disk 3 (Internal) [ST3000DM001-1CH166, Z1F3910G]. This condition often indicates an impending failure. Please be prepared to replace this disk to maintain data redundancy.
Thu May 8 2014 22:57:34
Disk: Detected increasing pending sector count: [1592] on disk 3 (Internal) [ST3000DM001-1CH166, Z1F3910G] 37 times in the past 30 days. This condition often indicates an impending failure. Please be prepared to replace this disk to maintain data redundancy.
Thu May 8 2014 22:55:39
Disk: Detected increasing ATA error count: [87] on disk 3 (Internal) [ST3000DM001-1CH166, Z1F3910G] 12 times in the past 30 days. This condition often indicates an impending failure. Please be prepared to replace this disk to maintain data redundancy.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What ended up happening in the end? Did you just buy a new disk and replace it?
Message 50 of 51
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 50 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 13 in conversation
Announcements