× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Specs and features for Duo v2 and NV+ v2?

Maxime000
Aspirant

Specs and features for Duo v2 and NV+ v2?

Hi all,
I have checked the comparison page dated November 10, 2011
http://www.readynas.com/?cat=49
and the product page
http://www.netgear.com/home/products/st ... D4000.aspx
and found contradictory info. Here are they:

print server when a USB printer is connected, is it possible? Netgear.com say yes but readynas.com no

shutdown automatically when UPS battery is low? The manual says yes but readynas.com no

DHCP server? Netgear.com says there is one but readynas.com, none

Squeezecenter compatibility? Netgear.com says yes but readynas.com no

define different quota per share? Netgear.com says yes but readynas.com no

support the NFS file protocol? Netgear.com says yes but readynas.com no

support the FTP and the FTPs (secured) file protocols? Netgear.com says yes but readynas.com no

support HTTPs for Web browsers? Netgear.com says yes but readynas.com no

support SNMP for network admins? Netgear.com says yes but readynas.com no

I know NV+ v2 is supposed to be a "light" version of the Ultra and Pro models but I'd like to be sure of what is included and what is not.

As a bonus if one of the Netgear team is looking at this forum, it could be a good idea to make the 2 documents speak the same info 😉
Message 1 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Specs and features for Duo v2 and NV+ v2?

readynas.com is right and netgear.com is wrong. Generally if they contradict each other, readynas.com will be right.

readynas.com is maintained by some of the senior engineers who develop the ReadyNAS product. NetGear.com is managed by other people. Sounds like the NetGear.com people copied the NV+ v1 specs and didn't change a lot of things to reflect what's actually the case with the v2.

There are plenty of errors on the NetGear page. One obvious one is that the v2 has AFP 3.3 in the very first firmware not the older AFP 3.1 in that specs list.
Message 2 of 8
qvantis
Aspirant

I feel quite a bit misled by the info on NV+ v2 on netgear.com since I was planning to use it as print-server as well as as a NAS. Is there any workarounds available? I hoped to be able to access it with ssh, but that didn't work either.

May we expect the missing features to appear in future upgrades of RAIDiator? My device is running v 5.3.2, which for the moment is the latest.
Message 3 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You can enable SSH access. See http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=59214&p=332842#p332842

NetGear wrote:

With the EnableRootSSH add-on, you can now remote login to the ReadyNAS RAIDiator shell as a root user. Initial password for root will be the same as the current FrontView admin password. Please keep in mind that NETGEAR may deny support if you’ve enabled root access.

NetGear has said that they plan to add more features, we'll have to wait and see what they are.
Message 4 of 8
qvantis
Aspirant

Thanx, missed that! 🙂 Are there by any chance more of those hidden dowloads available?
Would be great if anyone from the dev team would push for an updated download page on netgear.com, and of course updated specs on the NV+ v2!
Message 5 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

qvantis wrote:
Thanx, missed that! 🙂 Are there by any chance more of those hidden dowloads available?

That's it for now
qvantis wrote:

Would be great if anyone from the dev team would push for an updated download page on netgear.com

The ReadyNAS devs responsible for readynas.com can be expected to update http://www.readynas.com/addons at some point. I don't know when.
qvantis wrote:

of course updated specs on the NV+ v2!

netgear.com is managed by different people and I have been told that they have been informed about the problems with the specs page.
Message 6 of 8
dusan
Aspirant

Many thanks for resolving the mystery.

I am very disapointed by the fact that Duo v2 doesn't have print server functionality. I didn't know for existence of "v2" but when I was searching for a good alternative to Iomega iConnect device (shared storage is catastrophe, print server works from time to time), I intended to buy a product with those 2 functionalities.

When I checked Netgear site for ReadyNAS Duo, it offered me "new and better" ReadyNAS Duo v2.

When I checked for Print Server functionality, it was explicitly said that v2 supports it:

http://www.readynas.com/kb/products/duo_v2

then click the question: Can I attach two or more USB Printers to the ReadyNAS? (under "Hardware" section)

There are folks who can "ssh" and play with toys, but I can't, I am not linux guru (and I don't want to be), just want to be a user of "working" product. If netgear.com and readynas.com can't be consistent, it's not our problem! (it seems that it is...)

I have spent a couple of weeks trying to make that piece of c... called iConnect to work, than I gave up. Than I bought ReadyNAS Duo v2 and spent couple of days transferring my data and setting up the environment to work with ReadyNAS. If I am not tired of all that game, I'd return it to the store.

Shame on Netgear! This is not the way to treat your customers.

If this is the way to force people to buy print servers, than you should synchronise pre-sales data on your websites.

Dusan
Message 7 of 8
PapaBear1
Guide

The function of print server was always more important for the home market in the past than the business market, but even that has faded somewhat in recent years. Over the years, as the printers have changed their systems to be "smarter and smarter" they have become less and less compatible with even the current ReadyNAS units. If it is an All-In-One printer, the printer function sometimes works, but the scan would not.

You could of course, if you have a desktop, leave it on, connect the printers and share them over the network that way. Another option is to replace the printer with one that has built in network support. Checking Newegg there are three in the price range of $65 to $100 two of which are multi-function, and a fourth at $120 which includes automatic duplexing and is wireless as well. (You can connect with either wireless or ethernet). In comparison, you would pay $40 to $60 for a print server.

I realize this is probably not the answer you wanted, but with the dropping prices of printers, the increasing percentage of networking as a standard feature on entry level printers makes print servers less necessary. In fact, they are increasingly harder to find. In fact, of the 48 listed on Newegg, none are manufactured by Netgear although they still list 3 on their products page.

Before I got my NV+, I was using my desktop to share two printers over the network. As they died, ethernet connectivity became a must have in my selection. While I had replace one before I got my NV+, the other continued to be shared by my desktop.
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements