× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Stora died and want to recover data

gixxer-27
Initiate

Stora died and want to recover data

Hi All,

I have a Netgear Stora (not sure of model number) that died and will no longer power on. Fan turns on but that is all.

I managed to get my hands on a used Stora that is working and wanted to know if i could just install the drives from one unit to another with no problems.

The old unit was set up to combine 2 drives as one big drive and stored media on there. I really want to get the photos from the drive so looking at backing up the whole system onto external harddrives. Is it easy enough to put both hardives into the new(used) Stora unit and not risk wiping the drives?

From what I understand the Stora system is no longer maintained by Netgear and getting access to it may be difficult. Is it possible to still login to the stora unit from my home PC via the router and copy all the data over provided the drives can be swapped over?

Apologies for the lack of knowledge. I am ok with computers but wouldn't say I am a pro.

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 5
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Stora died and want to recover data

@gixxer-27 

Welcome to the Community!

After April 01, 2020 The Stora cloud service ended so transferring the drives to a working Stora will not work since you need to access mystora.com to setup and access data. You may have to recover the data using another option, here is one option.I found a few post getting success doing this procedure but you may need a PC running Ubuntu.

Another option is to use 3rd party applications like R-Studio. Users who perform recovery might be able to chime in and help.

HTH

Message 2 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@Marc_V wrote:

Another option is to use 3rd party applications like R-Studio.

Unfortunately, R-Studio doesn't support XFS.

ReclaiMe does, but is considerably more expensive.

Message 3 of 5
Sandshark
Sensei

@StephenB wrote:

@Marc_V wrote:

Another option is to use 3rd party applications like R-Studio.

Unfortunately, R-Studio doesn't support XFS.

ReclaiMe does, but is considerably more expensive.

Power ISO also claims to do so, but I've not used it for that.  I suspect it's capability is limited in the trial version.  https://www.poweriso.com/tutorials/access-xfs-partitions-from-windows.htm .

Message 4 of 5
gixxer-27
Initiate

Thanks for the responses! 

Sounds like the options to retrieve the data is to advanced for me. I may look at contacting an IT data recovery place to see if they can do what was suggested in the thread.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements