× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Syncing Time Machine between ReadyNAS units

Radjin
Aspirant

Syncing Time Machine between ReadyNAS units

I use the TimeMachine option in my ReadyNAS 316 to backup my Mac. To create offsite storage my friend also bought a ReadyNAS 316 and we now have exact setups connected through a VPN tunnel. I woulld like to sync my TimeMachine file to his ReadyNAS through rsync. Is that possible or do I have to creat a second TimeMachine file on his NAS and run TimeMachine twice?

Model: RN31600|ReadyNAS 300 Series 6- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Syncing Time Machine between ReadyNAS units

@Radjin

You may have to locate where the sparse bundle is stored and move it to your friend's NAS and backup using rsync, not really sure though if this is the best way. Creating another Timemachine backup might be possible but you have to be connected on the VPN and should not have any interruptions to properly complete the backup

Locate sparse bundle - This is an article on deleting the sparse bundle but it shows how the file is located

HTH

Regards

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Radjin

You may have to locate where the sparse bundle is stored and move it to your friend's NAS and backup using rsync, not really sure though if this is the best way. Creating another Timemachine backup might be possible but you have to be connected on the VPN and should not have any interruptions to properly complete the backup

Locate sparse bundle - This is an article on deleting the sparse bundle but it shows how the file is located

HTH

Regards

Message 2 of 3
Radjin
Aspirant

After a lot of research on Timemachine files it seems the best option is to create a second session in timemachine, however it will not reacgnize the remote unit. So it appears timemachine won’t work. 

Model: RN31600|ReadyNAS 300 Series 6- Bay (Diskless)
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements