× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

System: Alert message failed to send.

claynz
Aspirant

System: Alert message failed to send.

I keep getting System: Alert message failed to send. in log files how do I fix this?

Send a test alert to my email works find though 

Model: RN31442E|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4-Bay
Message 1 of 8
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: System: Alert message failed to send.

Hi @claynz

Welcome to the Community!

What firmware is running on your NAS? Have you tried using a different Email for sending the alerts? You may want to try to update your firmware in case it is not yet updated.

Hope this helps!

Regards

Message 2 of 8
claynz
Aspirant

I have just updated to the Beta 3 firmware and when the system rebooted it did send a email saying the system is rebooting but still shows Alert message failed to send in the logs.

So what message was the device trying to send at the time when it failed @ 09-49 AM ? maybe the timing of the message being sent is when the device has no internet connection on restart?

Message 3 of 8
StephenB
Guru

It should queue the email, and send it when the connection becomes available.

Did you try downloading the log zip file, and look in msmtp.log?  There could be a clue in there.  You could also look in system.log.

Message 4 of 8
claynz
Aspirant

How do I post the log files in .zip, they seem very old

Message 5 of 8
claynz
Aspirant

Was looking at the top of the file, the latest entries are at the bottom, anyway it says

Jan 09 10:51:29 host=send.xtra.co.nz tls=on auth=on user=claytonb@xtra.co.nz from=claytonb@xtra.co.nz recipients=clayton@aaacs.co.nz smtpstatus=554 smtpmsg='554 5.7.1 Message rejected due to possible spam content' errormsg='the server did not accept the mail' exitcode=EX_UNAVAILABLE

Message 6 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@claynz wrote:

Was looking at the top of the file, the latest entries are at the bottom, anyway it says

Jan 09 10:51:29 host=send.xtra.co.nz tls=on auth=on user=claytonb@xtra.co.nz from=claytonb@xtra.co.nz recipients=clayton@aaacs.co.nz smtpstatus=554 smtpmsg='554 5.7.1 Message rejected due to possible spam content' errormsg='the server did not accept the mail' exitcode=EX_UNAVAILABLE

That seems to explain it.  You might need to use a different account (gmail perhaps).  Or find a way to whitelist the NAS.

Message 7 of 8
claynz
Aspirant

Thanks Steve, I think I have it working now using SMTP2GO 

Jan 09 12:49:55 host=mail.smtp2go.com tls=off auth=on user=claytonbxx@xtra.co.nz from=claytonbxx@xtra.co.nz recipients=claytonxx@aaacs.co.nz mailsize=292 smtpstatus=250 smtpmsg='250 OK id=1gh186-rlZHfa-Tg' exitcode=EX_OK

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements