× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

System Volume Root Usage is 82%

DavidTuff
Tutor

System Volume Root Usage is 82%

Logs says this:- "Volume: System volume root's usage is 82%. This condition should not occur under normal conditions. Contact technical support."

It started resyncing for some unknown reason. Been syncing now for 23hours and is only at 30.15%. What can I do from here? NAS has 2 x 3TB drives setup up as RAID 1 (X RAID).

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay
Message 1 of 20

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: System Volume Root Usage is 82%

@asimb wrote:

you are wrong: look at his screenshots again. The problem is in the /var/lib directory, not in the /lib.

Looking again, I agree. The second check was made in /var. 

FWIW, AntiVirus is disabled on my RN526x.  /var/lib/clamav holds 

drwxr-xr-x 1 clamav clamav       102 Oct 29 23:20 .
drwxr-xr-x 1 root   root         298 Jan 27 06:16 ..
-rw-r--r-- 1 root   root          48 Oct 31  2017 antivir.ini
-rw-r--r-- 1 root   root      754688 Oct 31  2017 bytecode.cld
-rw-r--r-- 1 root   root    42530018 Oct 31  2017 daily.cvd
-rw-r--r-- 1 root   root   307499008 Oct 31  2017 main.cld
-rw------- 1 root   root         624 Apr 10  2018 mirrors.dat
root@NAS:/var/lib/clamav#

So after it is turned off, it should be ok delete any subfolders (or other files) in /var/lib/clamav.  I'd leave the five files above in the folder.

View solution in original post

Message 18 of 20

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@DavidTuff wrote:

Logs says this:- "Volume: System volume root's usage is 82%. This condition should not occur under normal conditions. Contact technical support."

One option is to follow the advice, and contact paid support at my.netgear.com.

You could also try enabling ssh, and troubleshooting it yourself. 

Either way, don't delay - if the OS partition becomes completely full you can lose access to your NAS, and in some cases the configuration files are damaged.  If you don't have a current backup, then you should take care of that now.

One of the more common causes for this is incorrectly written apps (or packages installed to the OS partition via ssh).  What apps are you running, and what (if anything) have you installed via apt-get?

Another cause is related to USB drive mounting.  If a USB drive isn't mounted properly for some reason, then attempting to write files to it can sometimes result in those files being written to the OS partition instead. 

Message 2 of 20
DavidTuff
Tutor

Only app installed is Resilio Sync.

How do I get into the root to fix it?

Message 3 of 20
DavidTuff
Tutor

Looks like resilio sync is causing it. Am removing it and reinstalling it making sure it puts its' data on the data volume, not root. No sure how to do this, but will explore..

Message 4 of 20
DavidTuff
Tutor

Turned off Resilio Sync, trying to remove it but system says "Removing Application" and thats it. Now nas replorting Root Usage 91%.. Really need some help, instructions for accessing the root to delete stuff??

Message 5 of 20
DavidTuff
Tutor

This is the log attached. Failed to remove app. Resilio Sync.

Message 6 of 20
StephenB
Guru

@DavidTuff wrote:

Really need some help, instructions for accessing the root to delete stuff??

Are you familiar with the linux command line interface?

Have you made a backup of your files?

You'd need to start by enabling ssh access for root as described here: https://kb.netgear.com/30068/ReadyNAS-OS-6-SSH-access-support-and-configuration-guides

Then you'd access then NAS using terminal (mac) , ssh (Windows 10) or putty (older windows).  For example, enter ssh root@x.x.x.x in the windows 10 search bar (using the real IP address of the NAS).

Message 7 of 20
DavidTuff
Tutor

Can access via ssh, where to from here?

Message 8 of 20
StephenB
Guru

Message 9 of 20
DavidTuff
Tutor

Still no good, see pic attached. Now reporting 96% root.

Message 10 of 20
DavidTuff
Tutor

Removed Resilio Sync App, still seems the same, see latest attached pic. Shows 3 + gig under /lib

Message 11 of 20
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi @DavidTuff , you might find @asimb's reply to @ViktorN's post useful.

Kind regards

Message 12 of 20
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Message 13 of 20
DavidTuff
Tutor

Thanks for the update, unfortuneatly, clamav directory does not exist on my nas 102..

Message 14 of 20
asimb
Star

Are you sure, that the directory doesn't exist? After you have logged on via SSH you have to type "cd /var/lib/clamav" to change to the directory. Then type "ls -la" to check what the directory includes.

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 15 of 20
StephenB
Guru

@asimb wrote:

Are you sure, that the directory doesn't exist? After you have logged on via SSH you have to type "cd /var/lib/clamav" to change to the directory. Then type "ls -la" to check what the directory includes.

Well, his big problem is clearly in /lib, not in /var.  So I suggest that he repeat the du command in /lib - looking for the subfolder that holds the huge file(s).

@DavidTuff  - not sure why you attempted a balance.  The root partition on your NAS uses the ext file system, not btrfs.  

Also, if AntiVirus is running, then disable it from the web ui.

Your errors in du are happening because you ignored the guidance in my earlier link to remount the root partition as /mnt.  However, in your case you can simply do a cd /lib and repeat the du. Identify the folder taking the 3 GB of space, navigate into it with cd and repeat the process.

Again, you are looking for a folder (ultimately a few files) that consumes 3 GB of space.  Looking in frontview (which used only 30 MB) was a waste of time.

Message 16 of 20
asimb
Star

@StephenB wrote:

@asimb wrote:

Well, his big problem is clearly in /lib, not in /var.  So I suggest that he repeat the du command in /lib - looking for the subfolder that holds the huge file(s).

you are wrong: look at his screenshots again. The problem is in the /var/lib directory, not in the /lib. This is the same situation I had yesterday.

@DavidTuff  - not sure why you attempted a balance.  The root partition on your NAS uses the ext file system, not btrfs.  

Also, if AntiVirus is running, then disable it from the web ui.

that's right: @DavidTuff turn the AV off immediately

Message 17 of 20
StephenB
Guru

@asimb wrote:

you are wrong: look at his screenshots again. The problem is in the /var/lib directory, not in the /lib.

Looking again, I agree. The second check was made in /var. 

FWIW, AntiVirus is disabled on my RN526x.  /var/lib/clamav holds 

drwxr-xr-x 1 clamav clamav       102 Oct 29 23:20 .
drwxr-xr-x 1 root   root         298 Jan 27 06:16 ..
-rw-r--r-- 1 root   root          48 Oct 31  2017 antivir.ini
-rw-r--r-- 1 root   root      754688 Oct 31  2017 bytecode.cld
-rw-r--r-- 1 root   root    42530018 Oct 31  2017 daily.cvd
-rw-r--r-- 1 root   root   307499008 Oct 31  2017 main.cld
-rw------- 1 root   root         624 Apr 10  2018 mirrors.dat
root@NAS:/var/lib/clamav#

So after it is turned off, it should be ok delete any subfolders (or other files) in /var/lib/clamav.  I'd leave the five files above in the folder.

Message 18 of 20
DavidTuff
Tutor

All fixed, thanks for pointing me in the direction..

Message 19 of 20
Fabi8
Aspirant

Thank u  for the information! Smiley Very Happy
I did it ... and now it works again without warnings ! (in my case the System Volume Root Usage reached 98%)

Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements