× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Taking a punt on the WD20EARX SATA3 disks

choddo
Aspirant

Taking a punt on the WD20EARX SATA3 disks

These aren't in the HCL but the SATA2 version seems to be disappearing fast (and the sub-product code on the HCL seems to be gone already) so what the hell.

Assuming these disks do work (can't find anyone confirming or denying in the forum though there have been a few talking about trying)

I'm using an NV+ with 4x500GB drives today, so I think I might need to do a factory reset. (I'm on Radiator 4.17) - is that true?

I think I also need to backup my data and create a new array (rather than auto-expand it) because of the 4096 block size alignment issue?

Thanks in advance 😄
Message 1 of 9
PapaBear1
Guide

Re: Taking a punt on the WD20EARX SATA3 disks

Open Frontview and go to Status -> Logs. Click on the words "Download All Logs" in the upper right. This will download onto your PC a System-Log xxx.zip. The file contains the NAS name and date in the xxx area. Double click on the .zip file and it will list about 42 log files. Double click on the volume.log and scroll down to "Block Size =". If your volume was created under RAIDiator 3.x and you have not done a factory default since upgrading to 4.x, the Block Size will be 4096. If you have done a factory default on 4.01 or later, the Block Size will be 16,384. Do not confuse the Block Size in RAIDiator with the 4096 (4K) sector size on hard drives.

To utilize the 4K sector support of 4.1.7, you must perform a factory default after upgrading to 4.1.7. Here is the release announcement: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=47400
Message 2 of 9
xenophon1
Aspirant

Just a quick question - some drives already IN the HCL have 4K sectors, and I'm not talking about the problematic WD models that require a factory default. What about those (i.e. not the WD ones)?

I'm asking because my ReadyNAS Pro lists a 4096 block size in its volume log (thanks for the tip, BTW), as it was initialized with Radiator 3.x. Can I put a, say, Seagate 2Tb drive with 4K sectors WITHOUT resetting the NAS? My objective is to autoexpand, if possible, from 6x1Tb to 6x2Tb.

With greetings from Athens.

Xen
Message 3 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The ReadyNAS Pro is a x86 (has Intel CPU) ReadyNAS. These never ran RAIDiator 3.x. x86 ReadyNAS use different firmware to Sparc ReadyNAS. The volume on a x86 ReadyNAS has the standard 4k block size. It can be confusing on an issue like this to talk about Sparc ReadyNAS (e.g. NV+) and x86 ReadyNAS in the same thread.

Don't confuse the block size of the volume with 4k sector partition alignment. They are two different things.

To check 4k sector alignment you need to look in partition.log.

For the NV+ see Why you might want to factory reset a Sparc ReadyNAS.

For the Pro see Why you might want to factory reset a x86 ReadyNAS
Message 4 of 9
choddo
Aspirant

Thanks. Very useful. And yes, I did mean Sector Size. I appreciate the clarification.

I'm backing up my data now in order to do a Factory Reset then. Funny, one of the things that attracted me to the NV+ when I bought it was the ability to expand an array without doing this 🙂
Message 5 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

NetGear spent a long time trying to develop a way to migrate to 4k sector alignment without a factory reset on Sparc ReadyNAS (this is a major reason for why 4.1.7 was released so long after 4.1.6). Unfortunately this wasn't possible.
Message 6 of 9
choddo
Aspirant

Well the disks seem to work fine. I don't yet know if they will exhibit the power saving parking issue. Will keep an eye on the LCC.

After recreating the C volume and rebooting, the third disk started to sync (4th is in my PC as the NAS backup holding pen) and that's going to take about 24 hours. Which seems a lot for an empty volume but I guess writing the parity data isn't a simple 1.8TBs of zeroes (or perhaps it is, but those zeroes have to be written & verified)

Seems happy enough with me copying the data back at the same time, albeit that's only writing at about 13MB/s

Thanks for the advice, all seems to be going to plan.
Message 7 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Disks have to be synced sector by sector to setup the RAID. Once resync is complete performance should be back to normal.
Message 8 of 9
choddo
Aspirant

Well the disks seem to be working fine. 5.6TB gives a bit of room to stretch one's legs.

I'm pretty sure that they are suffering from the 8 second parking nonsense though as they've reached LCC of 361 already after about 48 hours.

I'll raise a support query with WD about the compatibility of their idle mode utility with this drive.
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements