× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Temporarily Using an External USB Drive As The Only Drive

DJWillycom
Aspirant

Temporarily Using an External USB Drive As The Only Drive

Hi,

VERY tight budget at the moment. I will be buying this product today, but funding for the actual drives won't be available until next month. Odd question, but will this unit operate with a 2Tb external USB drive without any other drives? I would like to get this thing online ASAP so my users become familiar with it now. Then I can add some serious storage in a couple of weeks. Will it work this way for now?

Thanks!!

Model: RN21200|ReadyNAS 212 Series 2-Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Temporarily Using an External USB Drive As The Only Drive

@DJWillycom wrote:

Odd question, but will this unit operate with a 2Tb external USB drive without any other drives?

No it will not. Linux and the ReadyNAS application is installed on the internal disks, so you need at least one installed.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@DJWillycom wrote:

Odd question, but will this unit operate with a 2Tb external USB drive without any other drives?

No it will not. Linux and the ReadyNAS application is installed on the internal disks, so you need at least one installed.

Message 2 of 3
DJWillycom
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply. I'll have to get "creative" on my expense report and get the drives now!

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements