× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Temporary files getting created all over the place, ReadyNAS 312

drc-ravi
Aspirant

Temporary files getting created all over the place, ReadyNAS 312

Hi Everyone

I was using my RN312 as a backup solution, untill COVID-19 happened. Due to my limited staff size - I decided to make it my primary file server and used a WD NAS as the backup solution. No problem with speed and usage since I shifted. However, a peculiar problem has been happening which doesn't actually hamper my working as much - but it has a tremendous nuisance value.

As you can see from the caption - *.TMP files are getting created all over the place and makes the folder that I am working in - VERY VERY MESSY. And the files are not even getting deleted on their own. And the temporary files - not just the ones that MS Office creates, these are some other ones which are getting created on their own.

My simple question - How to stop this creation of TMP files from happening? There are around 15 client PC's which are accessing this NAS to work on. These files are getting created irrespective of which client PC is used (Win 10 and 7). So my guess is - it is not due to the client PC's themselves, but rather a setting in the RN312 which I am missing.

I have attached a screenshot which I hope will help the community to understand my problem (and hopefully provide a solution)!! Fingers crossed.

My NAS Model is - RN312

Firmware - 6.10.3

Model: RN31200|ReadyNAS 300 Series 2- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
drc-ravi
Aspirant

@Sandshark Hey! Just an update - since you took the time to help me with my problem, I thought I should update you on this. I recently updated the firmware on my RN312 from 6.10.3 to 6.10.4.

And guess what - the problem that I had with Temporary files getting created, got solved!! I had tried fiddling with various permutations in the settings, but to no avail. And here come a new firmware - it solves by itself. And I was hoping there would be some mention of this issue in the release notes of the new firmware, but Nothing!! I guess they didn't want to admit that fault in particular.

Anyway, happy that I don't have to deal with that problem anymore. And thanks again to you for trying to offer a solution. Cheers!!

@Sandshark wrote:

While it does not contain a solution (and I still know of none), here is a long discussion about this issue: Showing-tmp-files-in-ReandyNAS-424. If you right-click on the files in Windows Explorer and select Properties and then the Details tab, who does it show as the owner of the files?  Specifically, is it always one user, different users, admin, or root?  If always one user, is that user the share owner?

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
Sandshark
Sensei

While it does not contain a solution (and I still know of none), here is a long discussion about this issue: Showing-tmp-files-in-ReandyNAS-424. If you right-click on the files in Windows Explorer and select Properties and then the Details tab, who does it show as the owner of the files?  Specifically, is it always one user, different users, admin, or root?  If always one user, is that user the share owner?

Message 2 of 4
drc-ravi
Aspirant

@Sandshark Hey! Just an update - since you took the time to help me with my problem, I thought I should update you on this. I recently updated the firmware on my RN312 from 6.10.3 to 6.10.4.

And guess what - the problem that I had with Temporary files getting created, got solved!! I had tried fiddling with various permutations in the settings, but to no avail. And here come a new firmware - it solves by itself. And I was hoping there would be some mention of this issue in the release notes of the new firmware, but Nothing!! I guess they didn't want to admit that fault in particular.

Anyway, happy that I don't have to deal with that problem anymore. And thanks again to you for trying to offer a solution. Cheers!!

@Sandshark wrote:

Message 3 of 4
Sandshark
Sensei

Thanks for letting everyone know.  It may not have even been an intentional bug fix in 6.10.4, maybe coming as a positive side effect of another change.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements