× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Throughput/ File Transfer speed issues

amarschilok
Aspirant

Throughput/ File Transfer speed issues

My hardware:

Netgear ReadyNAS 102, running FW v6.9.5

2x WD20EFRX-68EUZNO (2 TB each, Western Digital Red) HDDs in RAID 1

Netgear GS105v5 switch

HP Elitebook with fresh, clean install of Win 10 Pro

all Cat6 cabling, all NICs at 1 Gb/s, jumbo frames enabled everywhere

everything is being used personally, no business use

So I think I'm having some throughput issues on my RN102. I can't seem to get more than 35 MB/s while reading and 15-20 MB/s writes via SMB. Although from reading some of the discussions here, I'm not sure if I can expect much more than that- it seems the general opinion is that the RN102 is CPU-bottlenecked. My internal SSD on my laptop is fine (I benchmarked it). The switch isn't an issue because I'm getting the same transfer speeds while directly connected from my laptop's NIC to the NAS's. I don't have a desktop at this time to try to diagnose/ benchmark the WD Reds outside of the RN102.

So I read a few posts on this forum about performance issues. I tried to install iperf through SSH to see if it was the NIC or something else slowing the unit down. BASH keeps telling me "permission denied" when I try to run "apt-get update" and "apt-get install iperf". How do I get root permission to the unit to install iperf to do testing? I also installed Kernel Plus to try to tweak the network settings a bit, but I can't find any documentation on how to make use of Kernel Plus at all.

I'm a network admin by trade, but I'm not that familiar with Linux/BASH, so any help there would be awesome. Thanks in advance!!

Model: RN10200|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2-Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 6
amarschilok
Aspirant

After remembering about the "top" command, I checked it, and it does seem that a single, continuous SMB write operation of about 15-20 MB/s is using 60-80% of the CPU.

Guess I found my problem. I just never thought that Netgear would have put in such an underpowered CPU that it could only use 20-25% (at best) of the rest of the hardware resources at any time (HDD read/write throughput and NIC throughput, both of which should be over 100 MB/s).

Does anybody have any tips for possibly freeing up some CPU resources? Would it even be possible to offload some network load from the CPU to the NIC?

Message 2 of 6
Hopchen
Prodigy

Hi @amarschilok 

Yes, the RN102 and RN104 are quite underpowered. That being said, 15-20 MB/s is quite low even for those units.

I recommend that you read the excellent guide that @Retired_Member made. Link below.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/ReadyNAS-Idea-Exchange/Improving-performance-and-stability-of-RN104/idi-p/1253865

It contains some good tips and tweaks on how to improve performance and stability of RN100 series.

Cheers

Message 3 of 6
Hopchen
Prodigy

Also, since you are in with SSH already, what speeds do you get with a dd test?

cd into one of your shares and:
dd if=/dev/zero of=file.bin bs=4M count=250
Message 4 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@amarschilok wrote:

BASH keeps telling me "permission denied" when I try to run "apt-get update" and "apt-get install iperf". How do I get root permission to the unit to install iperf to do testing?

You log in as root, and use your ReadyNAS admin password.  Generally it's a bad idea to log in as admin.

Have you disabled AntiVirus?

Also, disabling strict sync on your shares will increase speeds.

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

<redacted reply to an errant post - please ignore>

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements