× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Time to upgrade - could use some input

takoma
Aspirant

Time to upgrade - could use some input

Hello. I'm running two ReadyNAS NV+ devices.

The primary needs are for storage of PC computer backups, primary storage of media libraries (lightroom photos, iTunes music) and for time capsule backups.

I'm thinking of getting a new pair of ReadyNAS devices with new, larger drives to both expand storage and enable more functinality. After an initial sync, I'd like to put one device off-site and am considering the Replicate feature to provide for a DR capability.

If possible, it would be great to have a shared video library that multiple Tivo's on the same network could access.

There's a rebate going on now for the Ultra devices at Fry's, but it they don't seem to have the Ultra Plus models.

Any input from the collective on Ultra vs. Ultra Plus and/or if I need to go "Pro"? I do not need virtualization support, windows domain, etc.

Thanks
Message 1 of 11
TeknoJnky
Hero

Re: Time to upgrade - could use some input

I would say the ultra should be fine, assuming you won't have any plans to run 'plex' or any other type of 'transcoding' addon.

I would also suggest, if it is with in your budget, that at least one of them is a 6 bay unit. Even if you don't have an imediate need to use all 6 bays, it is much cheaper to add a 5th/6th disk than a whole new unit or replacing the existing drives with larger ones.

Also, 6 bay device let you (optionally, but highly recommended) use dual redundancy (with 4 or more drives) protecting your data from up 2 simultanious disk failures.
Message 2 of 11
takoma
Aspirant

I found the plus model's at Fry's. They were abbreivated and so I had to search differently.

Can anyone tell me if I have to watch out for model/version differences with the Ultra Plus? For example, the model available is:

Mfr: NETGEAR Model: RNDP400U-100NAS
FRYS.com #6730435 UPC: 606449074949

Is this the latest/current hardware?

Thanks
Message 3 of 11
StephenB
Guru

RNDP400U-100NAS is the current Ultra 4 Plus (diskless). http://support.netgear.com/product/RNDP ... %20Plus%29
Message 4 of 11
takoma
Aspirant

Thanks @Stephen and @Tekno.

Can anyone confirm that I can run the Replicate product on the Ultra Plus and not just the Pro series?
Message 5 of 11
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You can run it on the Ultra Plus however the Pro Series is recommended due to the snapshot feature.
Message 6 of 11
TeknoJnky
Hero

note also regarding replicate, is that you have to buy 2 licenses, one for each readynas.
Message 7 of 11
takoma
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
You can run it on the Ultra Plus however the Pro Series is recommended due to the snapshot feature.

mdgm, thanks. Could you elaborate on the importance of snap support?

I'm thinking that snaps are more important for replication integrity of large files that are being frequently written to, like VM images. I would also think them important for cases where one wanted frequent backups.

In my case, we won't be supporting any VM environments and given that this is a SOHO use, we have the freedom to schedule backups for off hours.
Message 8 of 11
TeknoJnky
Hero

you got it figured right
Message 9 of 11
takoma
Aspirant

Thanks to all. Put in an order for a pair of Ultra 4+ with the rebate at Frys.

Now for the drives, I'm thinking of starting with 3 of the 3TB WD30EFRX drives. They look to be a good middle road that has the larger cache and Rotational Vibration Safeguard at a reasonable cost.

Any reason not to go with these?
Message 10 of 11
StephenB
Guru

takoma wrote:
Thanks to all. Put in an order for a pair of Ultra 4+ with the rebate at Frys.

Now for the drives, I'm thinking of starting with 3 of the 3TB WD30EFRX drives. They look to be a good middle road that has the larger cache and Rotational Vibration Safeguard at a reasonable cost.

Any reason not to go with these?
I picked up one myself, they look to me like a good choice as well. They are getting good early reviews, but of course they are brand new drives - so there is some risk that something will turn up later. However if you are looking for a consumer-grade drive, the WD RED drives are the best option from WD.
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements