× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Transfer speed on rn204

JezZedex204
Aspirant

Transfer speed on rn204

Hi there. I am new to this NAS environment and need to find out a thing or two to find out if things are good or if there could be an issue.

I am copying data (photos, videos and cad drawings, etc) from the PC to my RN204.

The PC is running Win7 and has an i7 PROCESSOR WITH 16Gig of Ram.

NAS had 4 new WD Red 3TB HDD installed. THe setup seems to have gone smoothly and I think it is Raid5.

The problem (I think) is that copying data to the NAS I am averaging a speed of 11.8MB/sec. Is that normal?

If I connect an external HDD in a docking station directly to the NAS, either using the USB 3 or the e-sata connections, the speed stays the same.

I have downloaded the performance tester as suggested in other posts and the speed I mentin above is from that. On screen during copying data it is a bit less. 10MB/sec

I am unsure of these speeds because if I copy data from one HDD to another one either internally or to the docking station I see speeds of 80 - 90 MB/sec.

What am I misunderstanding or getting wrong, if I am?

Any suggestions or help appreciated. If it can be kept simple I would be most grateful. Many thanks. JezTest 1.JPG

Message 1 of 25

Accepted Solutions
JezZedex204
Aspirant

Update!

I bought a switch and connected it to the set up. Now the transfer speeds are more in line with what I would have expected. Copying a folder of mixed info (pdf's, photos, docs, xls s/sheets) and going over at 50MB/sec.

Much better. Just to says thanks to StephenB and Sandshark for all the help figuring this out. If this speed is what I should be getting great. If it could be higher I would be interested to hear further ideas.

Man Happy

View solution in original post

Message 15 of 25

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Are you running fast ethernet or gigabit?  Your speeds suggest fast ethernet (100 mbits).

Message 2 of 25
JezZedex204
Aspirant

Hi Stephen. Thank for getting back in touch.

On the router there is ethernet as you suggest. so presumably that is what is running. I cannot see any reference to gigabit and I have not set up anything.

Message 3 of 25
StephenB
Guru

What router model do you have?

You can see the ethernet speed on the NAS (and the PC).  

On the NAS, click on the network tab in the web UI - you'll see bandwidth listed at the bottom.  On the PC you can open device manager->network, choose the ethernet adapter and look at its properties.

Assuming that you do in fact have a fast ethernet router.... There are two options.  

One is to upgrade to a gigabit router.  

The second is to get a gigabit switch.  Attach all your wired devices to the switch (including the router) and they will have gigabit speeds.

The switch is less expensive (you can find 8 port gigabit switches for street prices < $30 US).  But if you are using wifi also, you might want to upgrade the router, and get better wifi speeds too.

Message 4 of 25
JezZedex204
Aspirant

The router is a basic unit supplied by the ISP and is a few years old. Was adequate for my requirements..... until now it seems. I do have a reltively new one here. I will swap them over.

Here is a snapshot of the speed check.speed2.JPG

I will look at getting the gigabit switch if the router doesn't help.

I presume that as you have not suggested any other issue, this is all as can be expected.

Thanks again.

Message 5 of 25
JezZedex204
Aspirant

If anybody sees this and can help I would be grateful. What sort of speed should I be seeing if I copy a folder, containing photos, from one hard drive to another in the NAS? I seem to still get 10MB/sec. I expected it to be higher! Thanks in advance.

Message 6 of 25
StephenB
Guru

If you are still running 100 mbit ethernet, then 10-11 MB/sec is the max speed your network can carry.  (There are 8 bits per byte, and 100/8 mbits -> 12.5 MBs.  There is additional overhead that reduces it below that).

It would be a lot faster on a gigabit network - perhaps in the 70-90 MB/s range.

Message 7 of 25
JezZedex204
Aspirant

Thank you for the help. Switch is on the way soon to see the improvement.

Message 8 of 25
StephenB
Guru

It should definitely speed up.  Though the max speeds are seen with large file transfers, not copying directories with lots of photos or documents.

NasTester is one tool you can use to measure the speed (http://www.808.dk/?code-csharp-nas-performance).

Message 9 of 25
JezZedex204
Aspirant

I opted for a replacement router. TP-LINK  Model Number TD-9980.

It is all connected and where required I have CAT5e cables. Just tried copying a folder using drag and drop and the speed is still much the same. 10mb/sec.

Will try a cloud back-up to see how that goes.

Message 10 of 25
StephenB
Guru

Did you confirm that you are seeing gigabit link speed on both the PC and the NAS?

What firmware is running on the NAS?  Did you try the NasTester program I linked in earlier?

Message 11 of 25
Sandshark
Sensei

In Windows, open the Task Manager and look at the Networking tab in Win 7 or Performance/Ethernet in Win10.  The graph will show how much of the throughput you are using.  If it's maxing out the graph but is at 100Kbps or lower, you may not have a GBit ethernet adapter in your PC.  In Win 7, the max speed is also listed in the window at the bottom.  Oddly, there are still some PC's that don't come with gigabit Ethernet, especially laptops, as I suppose they expect you will mostly use wifi.  Bad cables can also make a 1GBit connection drop to 100MBit or even lower.  I had a computer that would not connect at 1GB to my switch but would if connected directly to my router -- I think the "green" features of the switch were to blame. Ii put a GBit ethernet adapter card in the PC and all was fine.

Also, if you have jumbo frames enabled anywhere (they aren't normally by default), make sure everything does and that they can all handle the designated packet size.  Problems there can make a network very slow due to excessive retries.  For that reason, i don't use jumbo frames -- more trouble than the small potential gain is worth.

Message 12 of 25
JezZedex204
Aspirant

Hi Stephen.

Yes, I have tried the test again after the router was replaced. Still in the same area as before speed wise, with an average both ways of 11.8MB/sec.

Currently running the latest firmware. 6.4.1

Everything I have checked and looked at appears correct and working. I will add a bit more info once I have looked into the reply I have received from Sandshark and checked his suggestions.

No doubt my limited knowledge isn't helping. Everyones help is most appreciated and with it we will figure it out. Thank you all.

Message 13 of 25
JezZedex204
Aspirant

Hi Sandshark.

Thank for your suggestion. Here is the graph you mentioned looking at. I was busy copying some items to the NAS from PC at the time. Sadly this doesn't mean much to me due to my limited skills and knowledge.

Graph.JPG

I am using a relatively new PC and all cabled up using CAT 5e cables which I did a test on and came back as no bad connections. Nothing wireless at the moment.

Thanks once again. Jez

Message 14 of 25
JezZedex204
Aspirant

Update!

I bought a switch and connected it to the set up. Now the transfer speeds are more in line with what I would have expected. Copying a folder of mixed info (pdf's, photos, docs, xls s/sheets) and going over at 50MB/sec.

Much better. Just to says thanks to StephenB and Sandshark for all the help figuring this out. If this speed is what I should be getting great. If it could be higher I would be interested to hear further ideas.

Man Happy

Message 15 of 25
Kardano
Luminary

If i may ask.... (If you are running on FW 6.4.1) Is antivirus on your RN204 enabled or disabled?

AV01.jpg

If antivirus is enabled, try to disable IT: in settings -> services - antivirus:

AV02.jpg

after disabling check speed again.

These are my results with my RN204 (4x WDRED 3TB in RAID5) to my PC (i7, 16GB RAM, Windows7 Pro) with NAS performace tester 1.7 and 1000MB file:

(Antivirus on NAS is disabled, checksum enabled, AV SW in PC is running)

NAS performance tester 1.7 http://www.808.dk/?nastester
Running warmup...
Running a 1000MB file write on \\pmnas02\backup 5 times...
Iteration 1:     84,63 MB/sec
Iteration 2:     87,55 MB/sec
Iteration 3:     87,86 MB/sec
Iteration 4:     86,82 MB/sec
Iteration 5:     86,65 MB/sec
-----------------------------
Average (W):     86,70 MB/sec
Running a 1000MB file read on \\pmnas02\backup 5 times...
Iteration 1:    109,16 MB/sec
Iteration 2:    105,56 MB/sec
Iteration 3:    101,59 MB/sec
Iteration 4:    105,39 MB/sec
Iteration 5:    110,11 MB/sec
Average (R):    106,36 MB/sec

Message 16 of 25
JezZedex204
Aspirant

Hi Kardano

Thank you for your time.

Mine was set up almost the same as yours, the only difference was the checksum. It is now enabled.

Latest test result looks about right.

Running warmup...
Running a 1000MB file write on Z: 5 times...
Iteration 1:     80.43 MB/sec
Iteration 2:     79.78 MB/sec
Iteration 3:     78.76 MB/sec
Iteration 4:     78.81 MB/sec
Iteration 5:     81.39 MB/sec
Average (W):     79.83 MB/sec
Running a 1000MB file read on Z: 5 times...
Iteration 1:    116.23 MB/sec
Iteration 2:    112.47 MB/sec
Iteration 3:    115.63 MB/sec
Iteration 4:    108.74 MB/sec
Iteration 5:    112.52 MB/sec
Average (R):    113.12 MB/sec

I think that I am there thanks to all the help. Thank you all. Jez

Message 17 of 25
StephenB
Guru

@JezZedex204 wrote:

Latest test result looks about right.

I agree.

BTW, your screenshot after the router upgraded showed you were still running fast ethernet on the PC (not gigabit).  That is why the speeds didn't change.

Message 18 of 25
Kardano
Luminary

Hi,

checksum is for safety:

Checksum functions help detect data transmission errors. The ReadyNAS uses a checksum function to improve accuracy and consistency when writing data to a volume. You can enable or disable the checksum function on each volume. Enabling the checksum function improves the integrity of your data but reduces performance speeds.

You actual speed is OK i think.

Have a nice day.

Message 19 of 25
StephenB
Guru

@Kardano wrote:

...Checksum functions help detect data transmission errors.

Not in this case.  These checksums detect integrity problems within the btrfs file system.  They can't detect data transmission problems (the CRCs sent in the ethernet and wifi packets do that).

Message 20 of 25
JezZedex204
Aspirant

Thanks for pointing that out. I would have expected the router to automatically go up to and enable Gigabit 1000 speeds? Oh well, working now.

Now to try setting up a couple of a users and permissions. One worked fine but the second one doesn't allow me to select a specific user rights. Can't understand. Will probably be posting a new discussion soon.

Message 21 of 25
Sandshark
Sensei

You see the "100Mbps" connection speed in the bottom window for your main network connection?  That's as fast as you can go -- so something wasn't gigabit (which would say 1Gbps).  The graph says you are using most of that speed.

If the switch made a difference, then the router must have been the issue and wasn't gigabit or, sonehow, got changed from auto to manual with a 100Gbit settting.

Check the graph with the new switch -- it probably says 1GBit at the bottom now.  Unfortunately, Win10 eliminates that very important window.  The info is available elsewhere, but that's the easiest.

Message 22 of 25
JezZedex204
Aspirant

I see that now and have found the problem with that. Now 1Gbps. Thank you.

Message 23 of 25
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi JezZedex204,

What did you do to fix the problem? You may also tag this post as resolved by clicking the "Accept as Solution" button in one of the responses that you received.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 24 of 25
JezZedex204
Aspirant

Hi BrianL

With the help of StephenB, Sandshark  & Kardano who pointed me in the right direction the problem was resolved. My limited knowledge probably didn't help either.

My original router was not up to speed but onCe that was replaced and set up properly the speed was good.

Thanks to all who helped.

Message 15 was tagged as "accepted as solution" but a few more hav been added since then.

Jez

Message 25 of 25
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 24 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements