× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Trouble setting up FTP on ReadyNAS 102 with Linksys router EA6900

Stultis
Aspirant

Trouble setting up FTP on ReadyNAS 102 with Linksys router EA6900

Hello, I am having trouble setting up my ReadyNAS for FTP. I have a Linksys router (EA6900) I am using for WIFI. I have the FTP enabled on the ReadyNAS and can see and use the FTP settings around my house. The problem is when I try to access the FTP share folders from anywhere but my house. I am accessing the FTP share folders using my iPad Pro using an app to stream reading material to the app. I am stumped as to how to get the FTP to work when I am not at home. I have enough computer skills to get into trouble. I can follow clearly laid out step by step directions, but cannot come up with the solution myself.

The Linksys website says that I can hook a NAS up to the USB port on the back of it and have it show up as an external storage unit. I am unsure if the ReadyNAS 102 will work that way.

If anyone can point me to a step by step article on how to setup this device to accessible from anywhere that would be super.FireShot Capture 007 - MadcapsNAS - https___192.168.1.119_admin_.jpg

Model: RN10200|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 34
StephenB
Guru

Some apps do use FTP for streaming, but it isn't the best protocol for that.  I think you'll likely get better results with Plex.

@Stultis wrote:

The Linksys website says that I can hook a NAS up to the USB port on the back of it and have it show up as an external storage unit. I am unsure if the ReadyNAS 102 will work that way.

It won't.  ReadyNAS has to be connected to your router via ethernet. 

@Stultis wrote:

I am stumped as to how to get the FTP to work when I am not at home.

On the NAS setup, you need to set a smaller range of passive ports.  I suggest 4 ports per simultaneous user - so if your ipad Pro is the only device, then you'd want 4 passive ports.  It's best to assign them in the range betwen 49152-65535.  So maybe use 50001-50004 instead of  32768-65535.

I'd also disable the rate limit, especially if you intend to stream HD content.  500 kbs is too low for a lot of HD content.

You also need to know how to set up the router (and you will need to look at the router manual for help on this).

Port 21, and 50001-50004 need to be forwarded to the NAS IP address.  In order for that to be "sticky" you should also reserve the IP address in the router - making sure the NAS always gets the same IP address.  Netgear routers call this "address reservation", sometimes it is called "ARP binding" or "Mac Address Reservation".  So look for that feature.

In addition, you will need a DDNS service installed, so you can access your NAS using a name that is reachable over the internet.  The DDNS service assigns that name to your router's current external address.  Most newer routers support this service.  NoIP.com offers a free DDNS service, so you could look into that. 

Many FTP/FTPS clients don't require masquerading (and AVPlayerHD in particular doesn't need it).  So you might try disabling masquerading.  Note that when it is used, it would be set to the DDNS name, not to an internal IP address.  Using masquerading can sometimes prevent access from inside your home access (depending on the router).

Message 2 of 34
Stultis
Aspirant

Hello StephenB,

Thanks for the reply!

I'm not trying to stream movies or tv, just books and comics from my NAS. I might look into plex if I ever decide to stream movies or tv, thanks for that suggestion.

I started to do the setup as you described. The "sticky" IP address is called a "DHCP Reservation" on the Linksys system, or at least that was the closest thing I could find to your description.

My hold up is the DDNS. The Linksys only offers 2 website options for this, and they are Dyn.com and TZO.com. The Dyn site is pay and the TZO doesn't seem to exist anymore.

I think it may be in my best interest to get a Netgear router to replace the Linksys I currently have. The cost of the Dyn site is $55/year. In two years I would have paid for a decent router that could use the free NoIP site.

I'm going to leave this question open until after I get a new router and set it up. This way I can come back and ask questions if I get stuck.

Thanks for your help.

Message 3 of 34
StephenB
Guru

@Stultis wrote:

I think it may be in my best interest to get a Netgear router to replace the Linksys I currently have. The cost of the Dyn site is $55/year. In two years I would have paid for a decent router that could use the free NoIP site.

Netgear also will give you a free XXXX.mynetgear.com DDNS name.  I believe that's actually provided through noip.com.  If you go that route, I suggest getting a Nighthawk (or Orbi) with OpenVPN.  That avoids the need for port forwarding.

Another approach you could use is Resilio Sync.  There's a selective sync feature there that will download specific files.  It uses peer to peer technology, and doesn't need DDNS or any ports being forwarded.

ReadyCloud should also work for this (though it's not a service I use myself).

Message 4 of 34
Stultis
Aspirant

Hello,

Thanks for the suggestions. I went with the AC1750. I don't have a big place and it was in my price range.

I have not been able to try setting up the ftp protocals yet. I am having trouble with my ReadyNAS backing up. It keeps encountering a failure that freezes the system up. I am wondering if it is the way I found the system after I installed the new router and cable modem. I found the system by copying the ip address from the router's webpage and pasteing it into the search bar. Do I need to go back and try to discover it from by another method? When I installed the new modem and router I received a new ip address for my computer and readynas. I updated this ip address in all of my backups. While doing this I noticed that the browse option for my computer files would not work. Testing the connection said everything was fine, so I continued on. The ReadyNAS did perform most of the backup jobs. It just keeps hanging up on this one backup job and tells me "failure." The system then freezes up and will not respond.

I should mention that the ReadyNAS is connected to the router by an ethernet cable in a different room than my computer. I have my computer using wifi. They are both on the same network, just not physically connected. I do not use the readycloud app on the computer to backup my system. I connect across the internet from the admin page.

I'm wondering if I should have used the RAIDar program to discover my ReadyNAS system after installing the new modem and router. Should I go back and try finding it using the RAIDar program?

Message 5 of 34
StephenB
Guru

@Stultis wrote:

I am having trouble with my ReadyNAS backing up. It keeps encountering a failure that freezes the system up.

Are you trying to back up a device to the ReadyNAS, or are you trying to back up the ReadyNAS to another device?

How exactly are you doing this?

What firmware are you running on the ReadyNAS?

Message 6 of 34
Stultis
Aspirant

I am trying to back up a share folder on my computer to the ReadyNAS from the admin page’s backup section. This is how I have always backed up the system since I got it back in 2014. The computer uses the wifi to connect to the ReadyNAS system. The ReadyNAS system is connected to the wifi router using an ethernet cable. They are in different rooms of the house. I have my PS3, ReadyNAS, and home entertainment system hooked into the router using ethernet cables. My smart tv, computer, ipad, and iphone use the wifi around the house. I shut the ReadyNAS down using the shutdown feature on the admin page this morning, I’ll turn it back on when I get home tonight. I’ll then try backing up the share folder again tomorrow morning.

Message 7 of 34
StephenB
Guru

Did the IP address of the PC change when you switched to the new router?

Message 8 of 34
Stultis
Aspirant

Yes. I went through all of the backups and changed them to the new ip address.

The funny thing is it ran most of the backups until that one. It keeps saying “unable to make folder #.” I have a folder named # in that folder, but I have a folder # in the other folders that successfully backed up. These folders are in a share like My Comics/Small Industry( or Marvel or Dark Horse... etc)/(# or A-Z) the # is for comics with a title starting with a number or symbol the other folders are for titles of comcis beginning with A-Z. I scan the comics I buy into my computer so I can read them on the go, or just reread them without having to get the physical copy out of storage. I have the harddrive the comics are on named My Comics and have multiple folders of the different companies. Inside of the individual company folders are folders named #, A-Z. This hard drive is set as a share and set to show up in my library like the pictures, documents, videos,... etc. I have another hard drive with my family photos on it that backs up to the NAS , set up the same way as the comics hd, and it worked.  I have not tried to backup my itunes folder on the main hd.

I guess I should go back and check the small companies folder and make sure the share permission did not change. I might do that tonight, to rule that out as the problem.

Message 9 of 34
StephenB
Guru

Also see if there is a shortcut in the PC source folder. 

Message 10 of 34
Stultis
Aspirant

Just checked all the shares and permissions, they are the same for all the folders. I did not see a shortcut in the folders. I did notice that the folders are all read only. I'm not sure if that will make a difference. I tried changing this to test if that was the problem. The folder would say it was being changed from read only, but would stay read only. Is this because of the folder being tied into my Libraries? I am running Windows 7. The folders that did backup to the NAS are also read only.

I just tried to run the backup again and it failed again. It gave me this as the failure message.

FireShot Capture 012 - MadcapsNAS - https___192.168.1.3_admin_.jpg

This has me stumped. I might try to create the folders on the ReadyNAS and then try backing up from there. I did not have to do that with the other Backups. They completed and I had changed the "sub-folders" names on my pc. I have the backups set to delete all information in the folders connected to the backup before backing up. I did this because I did not want the NAS to become crowded with the same files in different locations if I moved or deleted the file.

Message 11 of 34
StephenB
Guru

@Stultis wrote:

I did notice that the folders are all read only. ... The folder would say it was being changed from read only, but would stay read only. Is this because of the folder being tied into my Libraries?  ...  The folders that did backup to the NAS are also read only.

I think that's just how Windows reports attributes (which is confusing).

Are any files being copied by the backup job?  If none are, then I suggest creating a test share on the NAS with default file permissions, and try retargeting the backup destination to the test share.

Perhaps also try a drag-and-drop from the Windows PC to the NAS backup folder, and see if that works.

Message 12 of 34
Stultis
Aspirant

Hello,

None of the files were being backed up by that backup job. I tried creating a new backup job that only targeted the 001 folder. I then added a 001 folder on the nas in the destination folder. When I ran the backup job it completed the backup without a problem. I am going to do the same with all of the folders under that old backup job.

I’ll also double check my permissions on the nas for all of the folders. They should all have me as having permission to read/write. Then have read only permissions for my relatives on certain shares like family photos. Other folders are hidden from their view.

Message 13 of 34
StephenB
Guru

My general approach for permissions is to rely on the network permissions to manage access, and leave the file permissions as full read/write for everyone.  That won't work if you want to control permissions for specific subfolders, but if you don't have too many of those you can make them independent shares.

Message 14 of 34
Stultis
Aspirant

That’s how I’ve got it set up, except for the read/write privelages. I’m letting them download but not upload.

I found out why the system kept crashing when I would try to backup that folder. Some of the files in that folder are rather large and seem to give the system trouble. I can’t get the system to let me delete those large files from the nas. Everytime I try it freezes. Freeze might not be the right term, I can work on the system just not in the folders. The backups stop working and it doesn’t show what apps I have running. I can tell the system to reboot or shutdown, that’s about it. I do have the antivirus running and have the system setup for a traditional raid format. The nas has two 6TB wd red hardrives in it.

I’m wondering if I would be better off getting a large external harddrive and plugging it into the router to use like my nas, then set up the ftp with privaleges for my relatives using the external harddrive. I can then use the harddrives from the nas in my pc to backup the information I want copies of and get rid of the nas. I have had a little trouble with it on occasion acting squirrelly, just never like this. The only downfall is if the pc is destroyed I lose those harddrives, but get to keep the external that is connected to the router.

Message 15 of 34
Stultis
Aspirant

I forgot to say I have had the nas system for 4 years now.

Message 16 of 34
StephenB
Guru

@Stultis wrote:

That’s how I’ve got it set up, except for the read/write privelages. I’m letting them download but not upload.

You can also do that with network permissions, just set the users to read only there and leave the file permissions alone.

@Stultis wrote:

I found out why the system kept crashing when I would try to backup that folder. Some of the files in that folder are rather large and seem to give the system trouble. I can’t get the system to let me delete those large files from the nas. Everytime I try it freezes.

How large are they?

Message 17 of 34
Stultis
Aspirant

Not really that large. The largest file is 5 gb and the smallest it will not delete is 1.5gb. It’s kind of weird since it had to delete these files before when backing up, since I have them set to delete all the files before backing up. I did that at first because I was changing the file locations often trying to be organized in a way that made them easy for me to find. Now that I have everything finally where I want it once I get this backup to run I will change it so it only adds the files that are different or not in the folders. 

I will admit I have not been backing up more than 3 or 4 times a year since I got the system. I plan to change that after this final backup. I plan to backup at least once every 2 weeks. 

Message 18 of 34
StephenB
Guru

@Stultis wrote:

Not really that large. The largest file is 5 gb and the smallest it will not delete is 1.5gb. It’s kind of weird since it had to delete these files before when backing up, since I have them set to delete all the files before backing up.

I don't think it's the size, but there could be something else going on with the file system.

You could try creating a new share, then use a web UI backup job to copy the files into it.  Then delete the original share, and rename the new one to match the original.

BTW, you probably shouldn't enable snapshots on these shares (since the repeated deletions will consume a lot of snapshot space).  If you want to take advantage of snapshots, you might want to look into tools that will do incremental backups from the PC (instead of using NAS backup jobs).  FreeFileSync might be worth looking at.  I've used RoboCopy to do this, though that is a command line tool so you'd need to create a script.

Message 19 of 34
Stultis
Aspirant

Hello, I have been trying to do as you suggested and keep encountering the same problem. I am unable to remove those files or delete that folder. I can add folders, but not delete that one.

I did finally see an alert pop up at the top and when checking the logs it said that “The volume encountered an error and was made read - only. It is recommended to backup your data.”

Could this have been my problem the whole time? How do I change it from read only?

I disabled snapshots not very long after getting the system. I was noticing that all my space was being used up by the snapshots.

I’ll give free file sync a look and see if it will help me backup faster and more efficiently.

Message 20 of 34
Stultis
Aspirant

Hello,
It looks like anytime it encounters a conflict, me trying to delete those files or that share, it turns the system into a read only until after reboot. Then I can backup or move files, other than the handfull it has deemed off limits. Everything I check on those files seems to be just like the other files and folders on the system. It just does not like me trying to delete those specific files. I have tried moving them. It looks like the files have moved to another folder, but when I check after a few minutes they have either moved bock or the system never moved them. Then the system encounters a error and becomes read only until after reboot.

I might just leave those files alone and backup what needs to be backed up and move on to making it ftp ready. I can always try to delete them at a later date.
Message 21 of 34
StephenB
Guru

Perhaps look in system.log and see if there are any BTRFS errors around the time you tried to do the deletion.

Message 22 of 34
Stultis
Aspirant

Hello,

Here is all it says in the logs when I try to delete those files.

FireShot Capture 013 - MadcapsNAS - https___192.168.1.3_admin_.jpg

Is there another place I can check to see a different log? Maybe in more detail. I just went to system then selected log.

Thanks

Message 23 of 34
StephenB
Guru

Download the log zip file and look in system.log and kernel.log.

Message 24 of 34
Stultis
Aspirant

Hello I found this in the system.log :

Dec 13 19:24:46 ********** apache2[14424]: [error] [client censored IPaddress] File does not exist: /var/www/currentsetting.htm

Dec 13 19:25:09 ********** afpd[15482]: dsi_tcp_open: invalid header

With a ton of lines around it saying it could not send an e-mail "has password changed in future"

In the kernel.log I found this:

kernel.jpeg

Sorry For the badly stitched image. It was the fastest way I could think of to edit my systems name and IPaddress out.

Let me know if it is too small to see and I will upload it in a different format.

Thanks

Message 25 of 34
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 33 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements