× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Turned off Snapshot feature and lost all old Snapshots.

JamesS1413
Aspirant

Turned off Snapshot feature and lost all old Snapshots.

We have a 526X and up until yesterday we had the snapshot feature enabled for a daily snapshot. It had been working without issue, but yesterday someone turned off the feature and now it seems that all the old Snapshots are gone. Does turning off the snapshot feature delete the old snapshots?

When I look at the Share it shows that there is still 3.14 GB of Snapshots, but I cannot see those anywhere. We need to use this feature to restore a file that was accidently deleted and there should be a recent snapshot of it if the snaps have not been deleted.

I do not know how to use any SSH and really am only able to naviage around using the GUI.

Model: RN526X|ReadyNAS 526X – 6 Bays with up to 60TB total storage
Message 1 of 8
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Turned off Snapshot feature and lost all old Snapshots.

@JamesS1413 

Welcome to the Community!

Snapshot should not be deleted but Daily snapshots will be kept for a period of 4 weeks. If you need to recover or restore from a snapshot this article might help. You should be able to get access to the snapshots.

This article allows permitted user to access the snapshot.

HTH

Message 2 of 8
JamesS1413
Aspirant

Thank you for the reply. The problem is when I go to the Recover Files section of the drive no snapshots show as available as you can see below.

Screenshot 1.png

However, below you can also see the NAS is showing 3.14 GB of space being used by snapshots. I am trying to figure out if that 3.14 GB is actually some of my snapshots but I am unable to see them for some reason. I am hoping that is the case, but at this point I assume it is a lost cause.

Screenshot 2.png

Model: RN526X|ReadyNAS 526X – 6 Bays with up to 60TB total storage
Message 3 of 8
StephenB
Guru

It is possible to troubleshoot further, but that would require use of ssh.

Even then, I think all you could do is make sure they are fully deleted - I don't know of anyway to get the, back into the web ui.

Message 4 of 8
HelGoLAN
Tutor

What will happen with old snapshots if James turned snapshots simply ON again?

Message 5 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@HelGoLAN wrote:

What will happen with old snapshots if James turned snapshots simply ON again?

ON and OFF are about the snapshot schedule.  Turning that control OFF (or ON) doesn't affect any snapshots that have been already made.

Message 6 of 8
HelGoLAN
Tutor

Than James should turn ON that control and restore the lost file as he normaly does.

Message 7 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@HelGoLAN wrote:

Than James should turn ON that control and restore the lost file as he normaly does.

No guarantee that will work, but it would do no harm to try.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements