× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: UPS for ReadyNAS

ThoOom
Aspirant

UPS for ReadyNAS

Hi,

I would like to invest in an UPS and looking for feedback from NetGear users on what to buy.

Price range I'm ready to pay is around 500€ and I intend to use that power supply for my ReadyNAS RN2120v2 (4 bay), some network component (a 24p switch, a cable/DSL router from my ISP) and eventually a PC running Windows.

I do not need hours of backup but mainly a) for "purifying" the signal and b) enough time to send to the readyNAS an alert to initiate a proper shutdown

I need preferrably a rackmount 1U or 2U model

I tried to search in http://networkupstools.org/stable-hcl.html but there's too much models and fankly, after choosing a model I just can't find the reference available on a reseller (for exemple I can find the Eaton Ellipse models but it says for desktop, while I can't find in the list the Eaton 5PX/9PX models which looks like perfect for my need... is that because they are not NUT compliant ? )

Any specific model to look for, any experience to share ?

Thx a lot,

Thomas

Model: RN2120v2|Readynas 2120v2 1U 4-Bay Diskless
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
Sandshark
Sensei

The 5P has a USB port and works quite well with NUT.  In fact, I get fewer false alarms on my NASes than I do on my PCs that use a different 5P and the Eaton software.  The 5P also has the option of adding a network card, where the 5S does not.  I don't have the network card, so can't comment on whether the ReadyNAS can use it.  Since one NAS can act as a host for the UPS and communicate UPS status to other NASs, it's not necessary for my use.

The 5P is line interactive, but I previously used an APC that was standby, and it worked equally well.  I got a great deal on two barely-used 5P's, or I probably would have gone with something less expensive.  One nice thing about the 5P (at least the 1500 tower model) is that it uses three standard batteries where most UPSes of this size (including the 5S) use only two, so it has a longer run time.  Some also use a proprietary battery, which is best to avoid due to replacement cost.  I also like the LCD display since the NAS gives you so little info on the UPS.  The 5S is available with and without one. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
Sandshark
Sensei

The "X" in the 5PX and 9PX just means it has extended run time capability -- that is, it can be connected to additional external battery packs, whihc you likely don't need.  They are otherwise the same as the 5P/9P.  I have a 5P1500 that powers my 516, two EDA500's, and two 4200V2's (that are mostly on standby).  It has worked flawlessly and got me through a 29 minute power outage with the 4200's on standby, and the 516 was in mid-resync, so was using a bit more than typical power.  And the batteries are 2 years old.

While I always thought that the 5S was basically the same as the 5P except not accepting the network card (which I don't use on my 5P), another user did report excessive false alarms with the 5S and I have seen similar reports in the NUT forums.  I do not know if that has been resolved.

Message 2 of 5
ThoOom
Aspirant

Hi,

thx a lot, this is basically what I need. Can you please tell me if you had a chance to est an online UPS Vs live interactive ?

does the 5P series from Eaton uses USB to communicate (NUT) with the ReadyNAS ? I understand from your reply that there is no network capability on the 5P series, when the 5S have,correct ?

Message 3 of 5
Sandshark
Sensei

The 5P has a USB port and works quite well with NUT.  In fact, I get fewer false alarms on my NASes than I do on my PCs that use a different 5P and the Eaton software.  The 5P also has the option of adding a network card, where the 5S does not.  I don't have the network card, so can't comment on whether the ReadyNAS can use it.  Since one NAS can act as a host for the UPS and communicate UPS status to other NASs, it's not necessary for my use.

The 5P is line interactive, but I previously used an APC that was standby, and it worked equally well.  I got a great deal on two barely-used 5P's, or I probably would have gone with something less expensive.  One nice thing about the 5P (at least the 1500 tower model) is that it uses three standard batteries where most UPSes of this size (including the 5S) use only two, so it has a longer run time.  Some also use a proprietary battery, which is best to avoid due to replacement cost.  I also like the LCD display since the NAS gives you so little info on the UPS.  The 5S is available with and without one. 

Message 4 of 5
ThoOom
Aspirant

Hi,

thx a lot, I will go for that, probably will try the network adapter if I find one !

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements