× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

USB EXT2/3/4 format from Frontview on ARM

janforman
Aspirant

USB EXT2/3/4 format from Frontview on ARM

It's possible to add ext2/3 format for USB devices via Frontend?
Today I must use SSH access and mkfs on NAS or another Linux box.

-- i don't need any help, this is for information only --
Btw. ext4 have some performance issues over ext3 on SATA connected discs.
I don't use it because it's terribly slow when there are a lot of files on NAS.
EXT4 generates a lot of IO-Wait and kernel load over 12 when EXT3 on same data don't.
Looks like some journal problem, there's nothing in logs btw.
-- i don't need any help, this is for information only --
Message 1 of 11
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: EXT2/3 format from Frontview

So this is a Duo v2 (runs RAIDiator 5.3.x)?

There is not the option to format a disk via the Dashboard at this time.
Message 2 of 11
JohnnyB11
Aspirant

Formatting external backup disks with ext2/3 is a really bad idea unless the internal source disks use ext2/3, too.
Message 3 of 11
janforman
Aspirant

I don't understand.

RAID1 with system is mounted as ext3 now.
/dev/md0 / ext3 defaults,noatime 0 0

Only software RAID with data is ext4
But this have heavy performance problems on nearly full volume with a lot of files (maybe some bug, don't know why).
I reformat this to ext3 too, because it's much faster (except fsck of course).

EXT2 is fastest for backup (NTFS is slow and I don't need journal on backups) anyway bad format ruins speed completely.
Message 4 of 11
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Well EXT4 has some nice features like support for volumes >16TB in size (though a factory default - wipes all data, settings, everything - is needed with disks in place for that) amongst other things. Now on a 2-bay desktop NAS you may feel that there's not as much benefit of using EXT4 as there would be on some other model ReadyNAS units.
Message 5 of 11
janforman
Aspirant

I can swith EXT2/3/4 with data on, because I have EXT4 extended features off.
But EXT4 is unusable because system is very heavy loaded, while EXT3 is fine.
This looks like EXT4 don't perform well, when there are a lot of files and nearly full volume.
(but it can be some sort of bug as I said)

USB backup is a lot faster when ext2 is used, but disc must be formatted outside NAS or with SSH access to device.
Message 6 of 11
JohnnyB11
Aspirant

Re: USB EXT2/3/4 format from Frontview on ARM

ext2/3 uses a timestamp resolution of only 1 second while ext4 usees 1 nanosecond. Thus, incremental backups from ext4 to ext2/3 will not be incremental since the files on the target will (almost) always be older. E.g., see viewtopic.php?f=31&t=65736
Message 7 of 11
StephenB
Guru

JohnnyB wrote:
ext2/3 uses a timestamp resolution of only 1 second while ext4 usees 1 nanosecond. Thus, incremental backups from ext4 to ext2/3 will not be incremental since the files on the target will (almost) always be older. E.g., see viewtopic.php?f=31&t=65736
It would be nice if the user could set the rsync time-window to 1 second on the backup job. Granted this should not be the default, since it is possible for file to be modified twice within a second. However, if the backups are generally done off-hours, then the odds are pretty small.
Message 8 of 11
JohnnyB11
Aspirant

I do not understand why but rsync seems to work anyway: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=66167
Message 9 of 11
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

JohnnyB wrote:
I do not understand why but rsync seems to work anyway: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=66167

Rsync copies the changes to files across. It's a protocol designed for backups particularly over the WAN (internet).
Message 10 of 11
StephenB
Guru

mdgm wrote:
JohnnyB wrote:

Rsync copies the changes to files across. It's a protocol designed for backups particularly over the WAN (internet).
Yes.

Though I believe that the normal settings on the ReadyNAS tell rsync to ignore analyzing files if the timestamp, etc matches, correct?

So without the "--modify-window=1" option, rsync would have to analyze every single file for changes, which will use a lot of computation and take more time.

At least that is how it looks to me. Unless rsync is smart enough to do this on its own if the source is running ext4 and the sink is running ext3???
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements