× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: USB HDD used as destination for Backup of 314 / use old NAS instead?

JustKJ
Aspirant

USB HDD used as destination for Backup of 314 / use old NAS instead?

I purchased a Seagate Expansion 3TB Desktop External Hard Drive USB 3.0 (STBV3000100)

few years back to serve as my destination to backup my RN314. I plugged it into the front port of my NAS and while I am able to back up to it, it only recognizes 2 TB of space.

1. Have I done something that limited my NAS to recognizing only 2TB.

2. Assuming I fix that, or the NAS OS is capable of larger destination drives, what is maximum supported?

I currently only back up with shares and not my timemachine (a decision made mainly about space).  I recently began a vertical upgrade of space on my NAS, because my Shares grew.  I am now backup up only 3 of 4 shares.  The data on the 4th is replaceable with a little effort.

As an asude, I still have the chassis of my old ReadyNAS NV+ can I fill it with retired HDD from my upgrade and use it as a backup destination?  EIther place it offsite and backup over the net (might be too slow) or bring it onsite once a week and store it off site?

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4-Bay
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

I am thinking you formatted the USB drive on the NAS, likely using the EXT format that Mac and Windows doesn't recognize.  I think there was a bug a while back that would account for the loss of space.

I don't see much point in using a drive format that you can only read on the NAS.  Generally I think NTFS is the best option, so I'd reformat it on the PC.  Then you'd be able to read/write to the drive from windows, and read from it on a Mac.  You might need to delete the partitions ("volumes") using Windows Disk Manager first, and then create a new partition that fills the whole disk.

As far as the max size goes, a lot of the very large USB drives (5TB and up) use SMR technology.  These might cause some issues with the NAS.  There's no easy way to tell if a large USB drive uses SMR or not - the specs generally don't say.  One approach is to get a powered USB enclosure + an internal drive - then you will know the drive specs.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@JustKJ wrote:

As an asude, I still have the chassis of my old ReadyNAS NV+ can I fill it with retired HDD from my upgrade and use it as a backup destination?  EIther place it offsite and backup over the net (might be too slow) or bring it onsite once a week and store it off site?

You can, keeping in mind that the NV+ is limited to 2 TB disks.

There used to be a free rsync-over-ssh add-on for the NV+, but I am not seeing it now.  You could use a VPN - that could potentially be hosted in the two routers, or in PCs on each site.  ZeroTier and OpenVPN are two options there.

@JustKJ wrote:

I plugged it into the front port of my NAS and while I am able to back up to it, it only recognizes 2 TB of space.

If you attach the disk to a windows PC and look at it with the Windows Disk Manager, what partitions do you see?

Message 2 of 6
JustKJ
Aspirant

Thanks stephen for the quick response.  

When I look at the drive through the NAS interface, it shows a max of 2TB (SMB protocal).   I use to be able to connect directly to my Mac and see the files or use a Virtual Machince PC see it, but when I connected it just now, my Mac responded that it was in an unreadable format, and offered to Eject, Ignore, or format.

I plugged it into my wife's work PC and it offered it format it right away.   

I believe my course of action is to purchase a new drive, make a full new back up to it, then reformat the old drive, and begin alternating between them.

So i guess back to my first question, what the the largest USB HDD size that my NAS can recognize and use a s destination for backups?

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

I am thinking you formatted the USB drive on the NAS, likely using the EXT format that Mac and Windows doesn't recognize.  I think there was a bug a while back that would account for the loss of space.

I don't see much point in using a drive format that you can only read on the NAS.  Generally I think NTFS is the best option, so I'd reformat it on the PC.  Then you'd be able to read/write to the drive from windows, and read from it on a Mac.  You might need to delete the partitions ("volumes") using Windows Disk Manager first, and then create a new partition that fills the whole disk.

As far as the max size goes, a lot of the very large USB drives (5TB and up) use SMR technology.  These might cause some issues with the NAS.  There's no easy way to tell if a large USB drive uses SMR or not - the specs generally don't say.  One approach is to get a powered USB enclosure + an internal drive - then you will know the drive specs.

Message 4 of 6
JustKJ
Aspirant

Thanks again Stephen, great information and suggestions.   Here is what I am looking at:

Enclosure:

https://www.amazon.com/Mediasonic-enclosure-Aluminum-Support-HDL-SU3/dp/B00M94AGRM

Hard Disk:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LOOJBQY

I did not see SMR listed in the stats on the sale page, and to be sure, I downloaded the manual and searched it for SMR and did not find it there.

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

The Ironwolf (and WDC Red drives) are all PMR, so they are good choices.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements