× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

USB2 drive in USB3 on the Ultra 2

KillerBob
Aspirant

USB2 drive in USB3 on the Ultra 2

Hi,

I have just setup my new backup NAS, an Ultra 2. As I have my backups on two external housing units from Taurus with all my data (my Pro Pioneer is currently awaiting Netgear interaction), I connected one of the Taurus units to the front USB3 port on the Ultra, but the Ultra doesn't even see it. I connect it via one of the USB2 ports on the back, and it is fine.

And don't worry, I am NOT believing that I will get USB3 speeds from my Taurus units, but it is easier to use the front USB port:)

Bo
Message 1 of 19
KillerBob
Aspirant

Re: USB2 drive in USB3 on the Ultra 2

Bump

Am I the only one who have tried connecting a USB external HD housing to the USB3 port on the front of an Ultra 2?

Bo
Message 2 of 19
PapaBear1
Guide

The ReadyNAS does not recognize all USB connected devices when connected to the USB ports. Most often it is looking for either a printer, flash drive or USB drive. The Taurus may not be recognized. You could try the rear ports.

You may be more successful in connecting the unit to a PC and transferring the data over the network. Of course for this to work, the data structure would have to be readable by the PC.

Was the data copied from the Pro to the Taurus directly?
Message 3 of 19
KillerBob
Aspirant

Thanks for replying.

As I said, it works fine via the USB2 ports on the back, but not when using the USB3 port on the front. So, it is not a question of recognition. The Ultra sees the Taurus just fine, but only via the USB2 connections on the back.

Hence my question; is it normal behavior that the Ultra will not recognise a USB2 unit in the USB3 port on the front of the Ultra? And, if it is supposed to work, has other people had problems with the USB3 port on the Ultra?

Bo
Message 4 of 19
PapaBear1
Guide

You would have to find a population of individuals who not only have an Ultra 2, but a Taurus as well. You might well be the only one. I would point out that you should be able to do what you want with it connected to a rear port. There could well be something in the changed circuitry of the USB3 port that does not recognize the Taurus.
Message 5 of 19
KillerBob
Aspirant

Hi PapaBear,

Please note I do not ask if people can use the Taurus in the front port, just if a USB2 unit shoud work in the USB3 port?

Bo
Message 6 of 19
PapaBear1
Guide

Yes, the front USB3 port should recognize and use most USB2 devices as the standard is backwards compatible.
Message 7 of 19
Yossem
Aspirant

Hi KillerBob,

Your post is about 4 month now, but my company just bought an ultra 2+ netgear NAS.
I'm in charge of configuration of this NAS.
I was surprise that usb 3.0 front doesn't recgognize my USB HDD 3.0 and a single flash key.
My external drive is a seagate expansion drive of 1 TB usb3.0.
My flash key is a single 1GB key USB 2.0.
When i plug these components on rear usb, everything works fine. NAS activate components and use it. But, in front USB, nothing happen. Components are not recognize and not used.
Message 8 of 19
HERBIEO
Aspirant

Maybe you should contact support and get them to have a look, it could be something like the front port not being initialised as nothing is being recognised they should be able to tell from your logs.
Message 9 of 19
Pjotr1
Aspirant

HERBIEO wrote:
...............it could be something like the front port not being initialised as nothing is being recognised they should be able to tell from your logs.

Hmmmm, I have the same problem. So it seems not to be an isolated problem.

My Ultra 2 does recognise neither a USB2 nor a USB3 external USB HDD on the front port. The USB2 back ports work fine. Tested with two different USB3 drives (Freecom 2T Quadro and a 1 TB Sitecom) and a 1TB USB2 WD Elements, All work fine on my PC. When connected to the Ultra2 front port the drives start spinning and the drive LED lights up but they do not mount.
Message 10 of 19
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Download your logs (Status > Logs > Download all logs) and extract the zip contents. What are the contents of bios_ver.log?
Message 11 of 19
Pjotr1
Aspirant

Hi Mdgm,

The Bios version log shows:

09/08/2010 ReadyNAS-ProUltra2 V1.4
Message 12 of 19
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

That BIOS is out of date. Please install this add-on via Add-Ons > Add New and see if it helps: http://www.readynas.com/download/addons/x86/4.2/BIOS_Update_Package_0.5-x86.bin
Message 13 of 19
Pjotr1
Aspirant

I purchased this unit a month ago brand new. Funny it came with an out of date BIOS.

Will try the add-on later and report the results.
Message 14 of 19
Pjotr1
Aspirant

Ok, updated the BIOS, it now reports V1.8. It appears to solve the problem partly. My Freecom drive will mount now with USB3 and I can access it as a share over the network IF it mounts. Mounting does work sometimes and sometimes still not, but mostly not. Beast chance is when I first connect the drive powered off and connect the USB3 cable first. Then I have to power on the USB drive to get it working occasionally. Connecting an already powered on USB drive doesn't mount for sure.
Message 15 of 19
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

What version of RAIDiator is on the unit?
Message 16 of 19
Pjotr1
Aspirant

V4.2.21
Message 17 of 19
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Update to 4.2.22 and if you still have issues open a support case and post your case number.
Message 18 of 19
Pjotr1
Aspirant

Hi Mdgm,

The enhancements/bug fixes list of V4.2.22 shows nothing related to this problem, updating looks like a shot in the blind. But I will try. Looked at the system log file and that showed several software related errors. I have not much time for it at the moment, I will look further into it next weekend. Thanks anyway for the support so far.
Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements