× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

USB3 Removed with latest Firmware - Seriously!

msd
Luminary
Luminary

USB3 Removed with latest Firmware - Seriously!

I couldn't believe my eyes when I read the "Last" line of limitations of Firmware RAIDiator 4.2.21 (x86) update released 13 June 2012
http://www.readynas.com/?p=6469

"The USB 3.0 ports on the Ultra 2 and Pro 2 ONLY FUNCTION in USB 2.0 mode"

Hello...................... the fact that there isn't E-SATA available and some people have splashed out and bought an Ultra2 or Pro2 specifically for USB3, and....then the functionality is removed with a bug fix. Thats Amazing. Good job, Great Stuff.

Are the developers serious or what? Netgear PROMOTE a flashy "We have USB3" (which rarely works faster than crappy USB2 on these NAS's) but now remove it.

Why oh why would one create an Update to fix something and intentionally Break something else. A Shocker! :nashammer:

..........and before somebody says, then don't install it then................I then ask, how does one get "Bug Fixes"

ALSO: why does it not mention this restriction in the release notes within the Download pages here?
http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/ ... Notes.html
Message 1 of 8
ahpsi1
Tutor

Re: USB3 Removed with latest Firmware - Seriously!

Wow, good catch. I can only assume there must be a problem with the USB 3.0 controller as it is implemented or it's driver. It does beg the question, should we trust it prior to v4.2.21? If it is able to transfer data reliably in USB 3.0 mode why handicap it? If it isn't reliable should it not be used with a 3.0 target until after updating to 4.2.21? Relevant for me as I'm scheduled to help a friend copy home video files (and lots of them) from a remote PC to his new Ultra 2 and USB 3.0 was (until now) my best option. I'm also upgrading him from 4.2.19 to 4.2.21 - hence my concern about the reliability of the transfer over USB 3.0 prior to v4.2.21.

I do remember users posting benchmarks of USB 3.0 transfers and if I remember correctly at the time there was concern the transfer speeds were not what they were supposed to be. I'd search for it but searching 'USB 3.0' doesn't get you there quickly.
Message 2 of 8
chirpa
Luminary

Not true. It was added by one of the managers after the fact without enough discussion. I was not aware of that entry until now.

It is not worded the best. For the most part, 90% of USB3 drives out there work fine. There are a few with compatibility issues that would fall back to USB2 speeds. We are working on getting those problem models in-house to diagnose the drivers more. There will also be a USB3 HCL list posted at some point to display the known good enclosures.
Message 3 of 8
msd
Luminary
Luminary

Thanks for update. The question now I suppose is whether to risk updating on a path of no return....... as current USB3 drive does work faster through front Port as it stands.
I would think the answer is "No" if there is even the a 10% chance that it might run at USB2 speeds. Am not a fan of updates that have no downgrade path for this reason alone.
Message 4 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The update to 4.2.16 or later updates the partitioning of the drives from MBR to GPT to support drives larger in capacity than 2TB. 4.2.15 and earlier does not support GPT partitioning so you can't downgrade. Sometimes changes need to be made which make downgrading impossible. In my opinion downgrading firmware is more likely to cause issues than upgrading.

When upgrading from 4.2.15 or earlier I would update to 4.2.16 (http://www.readynas.com/RAIDiator_x86_4_2_16_Notes) first then the latest firmware.

Also note that 4.2.15 includes ntfs-3g-2010.3.6 whereas 4.2.20 and 4.2.21 include ntfs-3g_ntfsprogs-2012.1.15. This update makes a big difference when it comes to performance with USB disks formatted with the NTFS filesystem.

What version of RAIDiator are you currently running?
Message 5 of 8
msd
Luminary
Luminary

Am using 4.2.19 and I always format USB disks as EXT3, NTFS (as you would know) can result with rsync ACL errors (in my experience).
I agree that things need to move ahead however as long as a "Main" feature (USB3) is NOT broken in the process for those that have these units.
Message 6 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You can downgrade from 4.2.21 to 4.2.19. So I see no reason why you shouldn't give the update a try if you need what's been added in 4.2.20 and/or 4.2.21
Message 7 of 8
msd
Luminary
Luminary

mdgm wrote:
You can downgrade from 4.2.21 to 4.2.19. So I see no reason why you shouldn't give the update a try if you need what's been added in 4.2.20 and/or 4.2.21

Thats a good point I stand corrected about downgrading.....................as it only relates to those using 4.2.15 or earlier.
My main concern was obviously my initial "Post" about it "removing the USB3 capability. I see that statment has since been removed from the noted upgrade "Limitations". I suspect was "as chirpa noted" should not have been advertised as a potential "limitation"

If I get a chance to compare speeds "Before and After" update I'll report back.
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements