× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Ultra 2 Plus USB NTFS Performance?

Fayez
Aspirant

Ultra 2 Plus USB NTFS Performance?

Hi,

I am considering upgrading my ReadyNAS Duo to an Ultra 2 Plus. The primary reason for upgrading is that I frequently copy (very large) files to/from my NAS and my USB 3.0 hard drive. As we all know, the Duo's USB performance with an NTFS formatted drive is extremely poor (I have tested it at 7MB/sec read, 4MB/sec write) and EXT3 is better (12MB/sec read, 10MB/sec write), but I use Windows and don't want to jump through hoops to use EXT3 on my USB hard drive (losing the performance advantage of using a USB 3.0 drive in Windows).

Anyway, I have not been able to find benchmarks for what the Ultra 2 Plus can do with NTFS formatted USB hard drives. I am looking for significant improvement over my Duo's performance, and hoping that the USB 3.0 port is put to good use (otherwise, I'd rather get an Ultra 4 Plus - assuming its USB NTFS performance is decent, even if not enough to saturate a USB 2.0 port).

Thanks in advance.
Message 1 of 5
mjw1
Aspirant

Re: Ultra 2 Plus USB NTFS Performance?

If you are interested in ntfs performance, this post might be of interest
viewtopic.php?p=256953#p256953

Unfortunaely NTFS performance does not seem to be one of Netgear's top priorities.
Message 2 of 5
Fayez
Aspirant

Thank you for the response, mjw. That's very disappointing. I guess a ReadyNAS is no longer on my short list.

Netgear, if you are reading this, please consider moving to the Paragon NTFS driver and adding eSATA ports in your future ReadyNAS products. Thank you.
Message 3 of 5
PapaBear1
Guide

I found a faster way to back up my NV+ to a USB drive and that was to connect the USB drive to my PC and use copy/paste to back it up. I would start the backup and go to bed. That worked for me when I had about 60GB of data, but I then moved to eSATA connected drive, and then to backing up via rsync and now back up 1.8TB every night in just a few minutes. If you are considering a new unit, keep the Duo and use it for a back up target when backing up the new unit. No USB connection even USB3 can compete with the speed of rsync in backups between ReadyNAS units. (All ReadyNAS units support rsync, but not all competing units do).
Message 4 of 5
Fayez
Aspirant

Thanks for the tip, PapaBear. I have used that method before instead of using just the ReadyNAS and drive together, but I would like for my (next) NAS to be standalone and speedy in all of my usage scenarios.

My next NAS will not be a ReadyNAS, but I am giving my Duo to a family member who wants to share two printers and have a place to back up files from numerous laptops. For that purpose, the Duo will do very nicely.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements