× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Ultra 2 with Version 6.91 Failing - What ReadyNAS Hardware Can I Migrate To?

SeventhMonkey
Aspirant

Ultra 2 with Version 6.91 Failing - What ReadyNAS Hardware Can I Migrate To?

Last summer we had a power surge that killed one of my 2TB disks, so I decided to upgrade to 3TB and also version 6 at the same time. Everything ran well until a week ago when I started to get voltage errors.

I can now only run one drive and now only when I cool my office. I have measured the voltage from the PSU and also measured directly from the drive backplane with no disks and it checks out OK. After the temperature comes up, then I start getting errors again and if I don't shut down gracefully then the disk will unmount and I need to turn the unit off manually.

This could still potentially be the power supply so I have one ordered, but I think it may be the onboard voltage regulator that is failing. I'm anticipating having to replace the chassis, so am doing a little homework now.

One option is to buy another Ultra 2 off of eBay, but will need a process to update the BIOS without damaging my disks. I don't know if I can just start with the disk I currently have running without it say formatting it and losing my data, or if I can simply start with disk 1 and then add disk 2 and be good after they sync up.

The second option is to buy a new driveless chassis and I'd like to know which would support my drives without reformatting and losing the data.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Ultra 2 with Version 6.91 Failing - What ReadyNAS Hardware Can I Migrate To?

I would not buy another Ultra 2. There's no warranty on second hand purchases and running OS6 on that is not officially supported. Buying a unit vs using a unit you already own are quite different things imo.

You can move across to another x86 ReadyNAS running OS6.

I'd go with a new x86 ReadyNAS that shipped with OS6 e.g. RN422, RN424, RN426, RN428, RN524X, RN526X, RN528X, RN626X, RN628X.

I'm guessing you'd probably be looking at the RN422 based on what you've said, but it does depend what you want to use the new NAS for going forward which model you should get e.g. units with more drive bays allow for greater expansion.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Ultra 2 with Version 6.91 Failing - What ReadyNAS Hardware Can I Migrate To?

I would not buy another Ultra 2. There's no warranty on second hand purchases and running OS6 on that is not officially supported. Buying a unit vs using a unit you already own are quite different things imo.

You can move across to another x86 ReadyNAS running OS6.

I'd go with a new x86 ReadyNAS that shipped with OS6 e.g. RN422, RN424, RN426, RN428, RN524X, RN526X, RN528X, RN626X, RN628X.

I'm guessing you'd probably be looking at the RN422 based on what you've said, but it does depend what you want to use the new NAS for going forward which model you should get e.g. units with more drive bays allow for greater expansion.

Message 2 of 4
SeventhMonkey
Aspirant

Thanks @mdgm-ntgr that's very helpful.I had the same concern about another Ultra 2. These are long in the tooth, I've had this one for ten years and until the surge has been trouble free.

Would the 2304 rack mount system work? It has a celeron CPU from what I have read. I'd prefer a rack mount system as well as the ability to expand.

Message 3 of 4
SeventhMonkey
Aspirant

Just a follow up  - I went with the 2304 and the disks migrated flawlessly. I can't think of another 10 year old failing NAS system that would be capable of this. Very glad I stayed with ReadyNas.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements