× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Ultra 6

billblom
Aspirant

Ultra 6

I went to the HCL and picked up an initial 3 disks to crank up the ultra.. and it seems to be working rather nicely.

Now, 4 weeks later, I went to reorder the disks to fill the system out, and find that they seem to be out of stock everywhere. It appears at NewEgg that they were discontinued.

I'm looking at the Western Digital Caviar Green WDBAAY0030HNC-NRSN there. Have they been checked for compatibility yet? I would hope that with the Ultra 6 being a fairly new product, that the HCL would be kept up to date periodically... I don't want to order 3 disks if there will be a problem, or if that will result in a denial of help if there is a problem.

Thanks....

BillB
Message 1 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Ultra 6

Is that what the disks show as under Status > Health in Frontview?
Message 2 of 5
PapaBear1
Guide

That is the WD Retail packaging code. WD has a bad habit of using separate number between the retail packaging and the number actually on the drive label. (How fitting WD is buying Hitachi, the other company that does this). The actual model on the drive lable is WD30EZRX.

It is NOT on the HCL at this time. Unless you need to increase the size of the volume at this time, I would wait to see if they are approved at some point in the near future.
Message 3 of 5
billblom
Aspirant

The initial 3 disks show as healthy... no problems with them. Quiet, not super fast.. but about what I was hoping for.

The rough 6 TB that is there with 3 of the drives is a tad small for doing video editing. I guess I should have just bought 6 at the time. (The site would limit single orders to 5, so I would have had to go back and order 1 or 2...) - I stay on the HCL in all cases but I don't like to mix drive speeds. (And I usually don't like mixing disk brands in a stripe set of any sort...)
Message 4 of 5
PapaBear1
Guide

Amazon has the WD30EZRSDTL in stock for $139.99 each with free super saver shipping (takes 7-10 days). I am not sure why, but some references show it as WD30EZRS and some as WD30EZRSDTL. The official WD specification sheet only show the EZRSDTL letters following the 30 and there apparently is no model with just EZRS. You might want to see how they show up in Frontview and if you have the option to shut down the Ultra 6 for a few minutes, actually look at the label.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements